[2.0.21] User Shield

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
79%
Very Good
12%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
2%

Total votes: 66

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 am

Very glad to hear this deb8 and you're most welcome! :wink:

Best regards,
Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:37 am

deb8 wrote: One more question. Do I need to do anything in this list? It seems to be working ok.

IMPORTANT ***** If you are NOT using EasyMOD to install User Shield, you MUST update the CONFIG table by following these instructions *****

Sorry deb8, I missed this post for some reason. No, you don't need to follow the "DIY" instructions. EasyMOD took care of the database update for you.

deb8

Post by deb8 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 am

Thanks again. You're the bomb.

web-chik

Weird problem post install (now you see it... now you dont)

Post by web-chik » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:27 am

Hi there - I've just successfully installed the EASYMOD into my PHPBB (latest ver. 2.0.21), and everything installed like a dream.

I then proceeded to install the MOD [2.0.21] User Shield.

First time login as Administrator, everything worked flawlessly.

Upon logging in again later, there appears to be info missing at the base of the board (ie, latest "registered" user).

"The newest activated registered user is someusernamehere"

Stranger still, when i do a memberlist (again, logged in as Admin), and click on the dropdown to sort by "Non-active only" (eg: http://www3.sympatico.ca/ida.demelo/ml_inactive_sel.jpg)

But the description for "Non-active only" is blank - it's like it is there in the list, but just not displaying - weirder, i click on the "empty" option in the drop-down list, and it actually does list the non active users!!

This one has me beat. Any ideas?

Not getting any error messages, and i followed the config settings for this mod as well.

Any idea on how to get the "non-active users" to display in the drop down list?

Thanks in advance.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:34 am

Hi web-chik,

The first place I would check according to your description is the language file --> yourforumroot/anguage/lang_english/lang_main.php. Make sure that all entries are there.

Code: Select all

// User Stealth mod - start
$lang['Sort_Inactive'] = 'Non-active only';
$lang['Select'] = 'Select';
$lang['Select_all'] = 'Select All';
$lang['Divider'] = '::';
$lang['Unselect_all'] = 'Unselect All';
$lang['Activate'] = 'Activate selected';
$lang['Delete'] = 'Delete selected';
$lang['Inactive_selected_num'] = 'A total of ';
$lang['Inactive_activated'] = 'Selected inactive member has been activated successfully!';
$lang['Inactives_activated'] = 'selected inactive members have been activated successfully!';
$lang['Inactive_deleted'] = 'Selected inactive member has been deleted successfully!';
$lang['Inactives_deleted'] = 'selected inactive members have been deleted successfully!';
$lang['No_check_selected'] = 'Sorry for stating the obvious but, you must select at least 1 inactive member.';
$lang['Click_return_memberlist'] = 'Click %sHere%s to return to the Memberlist';
$lang['Click_return_index'] = 'Click %sHere%s to return to the Index';
$lang['Row_returned'] = ' row fetched ...';
$lang['Rows_returned'] = ' rows fetched ...';
$lang['No_data'] = 'There is currently no "non-activated" members in the USERS table to display.';
$lang['Non_active_on_index'] = ' and %s %s%s%s registered user';
$lang['Non_actives_on_index'] = ' and %s %s%s%s registered users';
$lang['Non_active_link'] = 'non-active';
$lang['Non_active_explain'] = 'View non-active registered users only';
$lang['Newest_user_winac'] = 'The newest activated registered user is <b>%s%s%s</b>';
$lang['Username_inactive_url_error'] = 'This user is either inactive or non-existant.';
// User Stealth mod - end
You installed User Shield with EM, and you got the confirmation screen for a successful install?

Let me know,
Wolf

web-chik

Post by web-chik » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:42 am

That was quick!!

Yes, successful install - i actually performed the following this morning:

1. upgrade from 2.0.17 to 2.0.21 (successful)
2. Installed EASYmod (successful)
3. Installed User Stealth (successful).

The funny thing is, after i installed it, it actually worked as it should have - it was only after i logged in later on, that this little problem occurred.

I did add some text to the lang_main.php file, ie, the "disclaimer" text upon registration... i didn't think that might have affected this?

But what i could do, is perhaps re-copy the original from the User Stealth package just in case?

many thanksagain.

web-chik

Post by web-chik » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 am

duh... just realised - your install would have updated the lang_main file, and naturally, i've just overwritten it with my mod text.

So..... i've just clobbered it!

Are these the only entries i should update/add in the lang_main.php file?

I'm about to make that change now....

web-chik

Post by web-chik » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:49 am

yah.... that did it!!!!

Thankyou so much for that.....I'm a little embarrased :oops: i didn't pick that one up myself, usually i'm pretty careful.

web-chik :D

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:40 pm

web-chik wrote: yah.... that did it!!!!

I'm glad that's all it took to fix this, and you're very welcome. :wink:

Good luck!
Wolf

rlars

Thanks

Post by rlars » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 pm

This mod is exactly what I was looking for. I installed it and it works great. Thanks!!!!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:16 pm

Music to my old ears! :lol: You're very welcome rlars.

Best regards,
Wolf :wink:

Spike_6502

With other styles than subSilver...

Post by Spike_6502 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi Wo1f,

First of all, thanks for developing such a useful tool. I'm the admin of a forum that seems to massively attract spammers - and honestly I dunno why!! :roll: it's not really active and not really high ranked. But I guess nowadays in the world of online sales of dubious medicine spammers have to turn to really cheap tricks to find customers.

I really :twisted: wanted to install your User Shield, to keep the flock of spammers at bay.

I first installed EasyMOD - went well.

A few hours ago I went for User Shield... placed install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt in the top directory, as directed by you in an earlier post.
1) Despite all a-OKs and greens from EasyMOD I could see no User Shield around 8O ;
2) I then read the contents of install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt;
3) I checked the impacted files: none had been modified, contradicting the OKs from EM... hummm.... :x ;
4) I rolled up my sleeves and went for the all-human fully-manual tackle;
5) I read file update_config_v1_2_1.php and did the database change myself;
6) Then i went step by step through the instructions for EM (they are in install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt). Fortunately they are quite easy to understand. I modified each file accordingly;

NB: useful infos for mere mortals doing the manual thing (like me)... file install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt contains a sort of long "To do" list of changes that EM executes automatically. Basically one can simply do them by hand with even a simple text editor and it's all straightforward except for one point: certain changes must be repeated across the whole file. --> Take a look at this excerpt from install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt regarding changes to memberlist.php:

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
#
		break;
}

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
$hide_inactive_on = ( $board_config['username_hide_inac']) ? ( $userdata['user_level'] == ADMIN ) ? ( $mode == 'inactive') ? $non_activated : 'AND user_active >= 0' : 'AND user_active = 1' : 'AND user_active >= 0';
You will find more than one:

break;
}
Thus, every time you find that break followed by braces you should add the appropriate lines.

7) Then I uploaded every edited file, and it failed to work :oops: simply because I had edited the subSilver style, and we use a style based on Morpheus Red. Ouch!;
8) I found the three impacted files:

##      templates/whatever/index_body.tpl,
##      templates/whatever/memberlist_body.tpl,
##      templates/whatever/admin/board_config_body.tpl.
;
9) I studied them and step by step I was able to insert the code mandated by User Shield;

An obvious warning to all non-subSilver users: changes directed by the install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt file most probably won't work straight out of the box in other styles. A bit of research is mandatory.

The whole tinkering exercise wasn't that difficult anyway, as the changes directed in install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt seemed rather intelligible. It just took a lot of time because of the guesswork.

However, may I humbly suggest that you post somewhere explanations and recommendations on how to set up User Shield for non-subSilver users?
It would be a real pity if only the subSilver-based admins were able to use the User Shield mod, while the others would remain undefended against spammers. If you do eventually open up a page / section in your documentation I'll be happy to contribute to it. Ciao!

Pico
"I can write a program in 20 lines with .NET where it takes you Unix people 200 lines to write the same program!" Said a Microsoft guy. His program crashed as soon as the first client arrived due to a buffer overrun.

web-chik

Post by web-chik » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Wolf, you're a GUN!!!

Thankyou for a truly great MOD, i run a BB for a not-for-profit group, and its very dissapointing that spammers are still targeting the BB, however, thanks to your MOD, it does make it much easier to manage!

Thankyou again for a great mod!

Wo1f

Re: With other styles than subSilver...

Post by Wo1f » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:38 am

Hi Spike_6502,
Spike_6502 wrote: A few hours ago I went for User Shield... placed install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt in the top directory, as directed by you in an earlier post.
1) Despite all a-OKs and greens from EasyMOD I could see no User Shield around 8O ;
2) I then read the contents of install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt;
3) I checked the impacted files: none had been modified, contradicting the OKs from EM... hummm.... :x ;

Ouch. That would get me going also. I wish you had seen this in the "Author notes" section of the install file ...
install_user_shield_v1.2.1.txt wrote: ##############################################################
## Author Notes:
## - Ability to turn ON or OFF all features of this mod through the ACP.
## - Hides username references and profile data until activated - from guests, registered users and moderators.
## For Administrators only:
## - Ability to fetch from the Index or Memberlist a filtered list of "non-activated" registered users.
## - Ability to manage "non-activated" registered users through this filtered list (activate or delete in bulk).
## Additional MOD information:
## - Released for, and tested on, phpBB2 v2.0.21 [subSilver].
## - Tested on FF 1.5, Opera 8.5 and IE 6.
## - Numerous installations with EasyMOD version 0.3.0 were successful and took on average less than 30 seconds.
## - This mod is based on " defender-uk's " excellent "Active members Only" mod.
## - Ty! :) http://www.phpbb-amod.co.uk/
## - It includes proposed fixes/enhancements by CJ Greiner, ChrissySkyking and BlueRook.
## - Support is offered through this mod's release thread at phpbb.com.
## Available languages:
## - English
## Beta testers:
## - cherokee red
##############################################################

Most MODs that I know of, and available here at phpBB are coded for subSilver. I did use subSilver's classes for the HTML side of things, which allows for a smooth integration with other styles that have not modified subSilver's TPL class naming convention.

A plausible scenario in your case to explain EM's stated success would be that, even though your default style is not subSilver, it's folders are still in your template folder alongside your other styles (as is recommended). If I'm correct in this assumption, reverting back to subSilver would confirm it's successful installation as declared by EM. Can you check if this is the case?

Spike_6502 wrote: 5) I read file update_config_v1_2_1.php and did the database change myself;

This one has me confused, because running it through EM would/should of updated your database. Which DB are you using?

Spike_6502 wrote: NB: useful infos for mere mortals doing the manual thing (like me)... file install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt contains a sort of long "To do" list of changes that EM executes automatically. Basically one can simply do them by hand with even a simple text editor and it's all straightforward except for one point: certain changes must be repeated across the whole file. --> Take a look at this excerpt from install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt regarding changes to memberlist.php:

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
#
		break;
}

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
$hide_inactive_on = ( $board_config['username_hide_inac']) ? ( $userdata['user_level'] == ADMIN ) ? ( $mode == 'inactive') ? $non_activated : 'AND user_active >= 0' : 'AND user_active = 1' : 'AND user_active >= 0';
You will find more than one:

break;
}
Thus, every time you find that break followed by braces you should add the appropriate lines.

Allright "Eagle eyes" :lol: , I'm fetching myself a coffee for this one... brb.

<music interlude>

It's a balancing act between "too little" or "too much" code you instruct EM to look for. The more you include, the more you reduce your chances of finding it when other MODs are installed. The less you include, the more confusing it gets for those installing manually in some special cases, as this one is. A text editor offering a multiple line "Find" feature would of highlighted it immediately, as theirs only 1 instance of that code snippet in "memberlist.php". I know it dosen't look that way, but looking through a magnifying glass so to speek reveals 2 tabs in front of the "break;" plus the closed ampersand on the following line. If I had included the line above "break;" to remove any confusion, you'll notice that the previous action also includes the exact same line, which could also be confusing.

A good rule of thumb to follow when installing MODs that require multiple actions in the same file, is to start at the top and move forward from one edit to the next, as all MOD authors organize the installation instructions in this sequential fashion.

With all that said, your point is taken and adopted. I will add a comment to that particular action to help those of you that decide to install User Shield manually, identify it without fail.

Spike_6502 wrote: However, may I humbly suggest that you post somewhere explanations and recommendations on how to set up User Shield for non-subSilver users?

Great idea! Would you be willing to put together the modifications you had to do, in order to properly integrate User Shield with the styles you are familiar with. I would be more than willing to include them in the zip package. :D

Your feedback is very appreciated Pico and let me know what you decide. Oh, and you're welcome! :wink:

Best regards,
Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:38 am

web-chik wrote: Wolf, you're a GUN!!!

Thankyou for a truly great MOD, i run a BB for a not-for-profit group, and its very dissapointing that spammers are still targeting the BB, however, thanks to your MOD, it does make it much easier to manage!

Thankyou again for a great mod!

:oops:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”