[2.0.21] User Shield

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
79%
Very Good
12%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
2%

Total votes: 66

kevkin

Install not working, I do not see 'username_hide_inac', '1'

Post by kevkin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:40 pm

I went through the manual install. Starting by running the SQL statement at the top of install_user_shield_v1_2_1.xml Then all the changes to the files. When I finished this I uploaded all and tried to run http://yoursite.com/yourforumroot/insta ... v1_2_1.php without reading or taking in what it said. Something like Error: Duplicate username_hide_inac key1 This kind of says it is their even though I do not see it when I look in MyAdmin.

Would this make it not work?

Some of the code went in more in one line than below as it was shown.
Would that make a difference?

Code: Select all

// User Stealth mod - start
$lang['Username_hide_inac'] = 'Enable User Shield. (Enable account activation must be set to admin for best protection)';
$lang['Username_hide_inac_xplain'] = 'Hides any username references and profile data from all except the administrator until activated';
// User Stealth mod - end
In Admin > General Configuration there is an entry with no text and 2 radio buttons. I assume this is to work the shield. Now that's not right. Is it?

In the memberlist not signed in everything looks the same, not activated spammers still show.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Only other mod is phpca classifieds modifying:
includes/constants.php
includes/page_header.php
language/lang_english/lang_main.php
templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
templates/subSilver/subSilver.cfg

Common moded file:
#-----[ OPEN ]-------------------------------------------------------
# also for all other language packs
language/lang_english/lang_main.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]----------------------------------------
#
//
// That's all, Folks!
// -------------------------------------------------

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]---------------------------------
#
//
// phpCA
//
$lang['classified_ads'] = 'Classified Ads';
$lang['search_ads'] = 'Search Ads';
$lang['my_ads'] = 'My ads';

Wo1f

Re: Install not working, I do not see 'username_hide_inac',

Post by Wo1f » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Hi kevkin,
kevkin wrote: I went through the manual install. Starting by running the SQL statement at the top of install_user_shield_v1_2_1.xml Then all the changes to the files. When I finished this I uploaded all and tried to run ... yoursite.com/yourforumroot/install/update_config_v1_2_1.php without reading or taking in what it said. Something like Error: Duplicate username_hide_inac key1

This error message is normal under these circumstances as you have already done the database update as a first step, manually. Did you use phpMyAdmin? I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to when you say:
kevkin wrote: This kind of says it is their even though I do not see it when I look in MyAdmin.

Yes, but you will need to access your database's "CONFIG" table and look for this name --> username_hide_inac, under "config_name", and this value --> 1, under "config_value".
This table has many entries that will create more than 1 page of data (or more than 1 "screen" if you prefer).

Has your "CONFIG" table been modified properly?

kevkin wrote: Would this make it not work?

Some of the code went in more in one line than below as it was shown.
Would that make a difference?

$lang['Username_hide_inac'] = 'Enable User Shield. (Enable account activation must be set to admin for best protection)';
$lang['Username_hide_inac_xplain'] = 'Hides any username references and profile data from all except the administrator until activated';
In Admin > General Configuration there is an entry with no text and 2 radio buttons. I assume this is to work the shield. Now that's not right. Is it?

According to your description, the required edit for this file --> yourforumroot/language/lang_english/lang_admin.php did not go through for some reason. This would explain the missing descriptions in your ACP.

Can you check that the edit was done correctly?

kevkin wrote: In the memberlist not signed in everything looks the same, not activated spammers still show.

This has me worried, as User Shield is ON by default after a successful install. Meaning, when logged out, you should be redirected to log in if you try to access the "memberlist". You have no choice but to review the edits you've done to this file --> yourforumroot/memberlist.php, making sure that everything falls in place as it should.

Would you be more comfortable using the TXT installation file instead of the XML version?

kevkin wrote: Only other mod is phpca classifieds

I don't see any common files that could be a source of conflict with this MOD.

Let me know how it turns out,

Best regards,
Wolf

kevkin

Post by kevkin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 pm

So as a mod it should look exactly the same:

Not like this:
// User Stealth mod - start $lang['Username_hide_inac'] = 'Enable User Shield. (Enable account activation must be set to admin for best protection)'; $lang['Username_hide_inac_xplain'] = 'Hides any username references and profile data from all except the administrator until activated'; // User Stealth mod - end

If that is true I will redo all the mods.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:42 pm

kevkin wrote: So as a mod it should like exactly the same:

Yes, this is the correct way.

kevkin

Post by kevkin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Search results for "username_hide_inac" (at least one of the words):
1 match(es) inside table phpbb_config

That part is good!

kevkin

Post by kevkin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks that must be the problem. Guess I should be more careful how I copy and paste or from where.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:56 pm

Yes, it's very important. I would still like to hear from you once you've fixed things. Just to let me know all is well. :wink:

Good luck and you're welcome!
Wolf

kevkin

Post by kevkin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Wolf Spectacular !!!

I knew the line spacing mattered in the back of my mind. That's what happens when you are tired of staring and copy/paste.

Too tired too notice what you are pasting in is changing it's formatting.

I was pasting from Internet Explorer 6 to WebWeaver 2002.
To get it right I did FireFox to my WebWeaver 2002.

I'm very impressed with User Shield and your very Gracious assistance.

Thank you Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:58 am

Great news ... and good job! 8)

I'm not familiar with WebWeaver 2002 though, but I know that some editors (such as Frontpage and Dreamweaver) add proprietary code if not configured correctly for these types of edits. Nevertheless, you figured it out and I'm glad User Shield is useful to you.

Best regards,
Wolf :wink:

mokkori_ryo

Post by mokkori_ryo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 am

This MOD is really great to manage inactive members :D !
Thanks.

I have a little problem... When there is only 1 inactive member, the message on the Index page is "... and 1 non-active registered user" => OK.
But, when there is none inactive member (0), the message is "... and 0 non-active registered users".
Is there a bug ?.

johnblox

Post by johnblox » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:01 am

Wo1f wrote: It is important to realize that it is not within the scope of User Shield's role to delete activated spam accounts that may have created activity on your board, but rather delete spam accounts that have never been activated.

Why?

When an account is created, only 3 tables are affected - which User Shield can delete thoroughly. In the case of "activated" spam accounts or any accounts that have been reverted back to a non-active state, many more tables would need to be cleaned properly.

Hi I installed easymod (0.3.0) then user shield (1.1.7d), all worked fine no problems.

To delete activated accounts, could you not just delete them as you currently do then do, then remove any orphaned posts. I used to run this after deleting users

DELETE FROM phpbb_posts_text,phpbb_posts USING phpbb_posts
       LEFT JOIN phpbb_users ON phpbb_posts.poster_id=phpbb_users.user_id 
       LEFT JOIN phpbb_posts_text ON phpbb_posts.post_id = phpbb_posts_text.post_id 
       WHERE (phpbb_users.user_id IS NULL);
You can easily 'Left Join' any other required tables, so a single SQL statement cleans all traces of non existant users.

Anyway I have a problem that if you turn admin activation on, they no longer need to use a valid email addr to register with. So though User Shield is working great, it now means I get 20+ new accounts sitting waiting and I have to somehow determine which ones are nutters and which ones are users. It strikes me that what I'd like to do is:-

User registers and activates by email (not admin)
They join the New_User group, and as such STILL do not appear on the memberlist, they are able to post but their posts are only visible to admin and themselves. Once they make 3 posts, an email is sent to the admin, like the one for admin activation requesting Full-activation for the account. Using User Shield I can filter view these New_Users and click to execute a username post search, or click to full-activate (change users group to Full_User) or delete. Obviously I dont have to wait for 3 posts til I full activate thats just when an admin message is sent.

It sounds complex to describe but would be very simple. It doesn't really require much code that doesn't already exist, apart from a group where posts are only visible to admin and the poster. It would mean I don't have to bother about users joining as they sit in a holding pen but unlike now they are actually able to post, while keeping them hidden from the outside world. This makes it a lot easier for me to determine if they are a user or a luser.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi mokkori_ryo,
mokkori_ryo wrote: But, when there is none inactive member (0), the message is "... and 0 non-active registered users"..

This was done on purpose. Granted, I may be wrong as "English" is not my native language, but my understanding of the plural form is applicable when none are present. Are you sure and can you confirm? If so, it would be simple to correct by doing the following adjustment on this file --> yourforumroot/index.php:

FIND ...

$non_active = ( $board_config['username_hide_inac'] && $userdata['user_level'] == ADMIN ) ? ( $fetched_rows == 1 ) ? $lang['Non_active_on_index'] : $lang['Non_actives_on_index'] : '';

REPLACE with ...

$non_active = ( $board_config['username_hide_inac'] && $userdata['user_level'] == ADMIN ) ? ( $fetched_rows <= 1 ) ? $lang['Non_active_on_index'] : $lang['Non_actives_on_index'] : '';
mokkori_ryo wrote: This MOD is really great to manage inactive members :D ! Thanks.

You're very welcome! :wink:

Best regards,
Wolf

Note: Your confirmation for the above is important as it will be corrected for the next update. Thanks for your feedback mokkori_ryo. 8)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:06 pm

If it says:
and 0 non-active registered users

(I don't have this mod installed myself, and I don't know if the red s is just to point it out, or is to point out that one should be there)

That is the correct way to say it. :)

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Thanks EXreaction, it was done with the "s" when none are listed. It actually sounds out-of-place without it. But I'm certainly no grammar expert. :lol:

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:24 pm

Wo1f wrote: Thanks EXreaction, it was done with the "s" when none are listed. It actually sounds out-of-place without it. But I'm certainly no grammar expert. :lol:

With English, I doubt anyone is a grammar expert. :lol:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”