Another News Mod

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
55%
Very Good
5%
Good
15%
Fair
5%
Poor
20%

Total votes: 20

Janmarques

Post by Janmarques » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:37 pm

Glad you like it :)

Birgitte

Post by Birgitte » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 am

ok .. I'm stupid - well I'm not but I could use some help hehe

Could you explain to me - step by step how to integrate this into the frontpage of my forum? I know you're talking about making a new page and all that and I can do that. But what do I call it and how do I get it to show up on my main index? Which files to add the link? We're talking php for newbies here lol

Janmarques

Post by Janmarques » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:22 am

I'd advise you another mod for that, since this has been made for external useage!
For announcements: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=374497

For latest topics: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=145150

the_raider

Post by the_raider » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am

Great mod - got it working fine with 2 separate instances on the same page looking at different forum sections for the news topics.

Just a couple of quick questions -

Is there any way to change the that the news articles are picked up in, or are they set the newest on the top? (I'm using it to display coming events and wanted to be able to add them all in 1 hit and then delete them as they pass)

Using the iframe option, is there any way of increasing the height of the frame?

Thanks in advance

The_Raider

diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:13 pm

the_raider wrote: Is there any way to change the that the news articles are picked up in, or are they set the newest on the top? (I'm using it to display coming events and wanted to be able to add them all in 1 hit and then delete them as they pass)

Using the iframe option, is there any way of increasing the height of the frame?

Always they set the newest on the top.

You can increase the height of the frame - write for example height="150%" but maybe you will have a problem with IE. For the sake of this problem in my board I set:

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://myboard.com/phpbb2/announcements.php" width="100%"></iframe>
and now working with IE. :cry:

the_raider

Post by the_raider » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks for that - I use Firefox myself which seems to ignore the height attribute for iframe

I have just noticed that in IE you don't get a scroll bar which you do with Firefox - any way of forcing a scroll bar to appear?

The_Raider

the_raider

Post by the_raider » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Sorted it - there seems to be a conflict between the height attribute and the scrolling attribute. removed the height attribute and it works fine.

Janmarques

Post by Janmarques » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:03 am

Try using the php "include" tag, that's nicer :)

(Sorry for late respons)

diabolic.bg

Re:

Post by diabolic.bg » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Janmarques wrote: Try using the php "include" tag, that's nicer :)

(Sorry for late respons)

Sorry but I don't understand... Give me a hint please! :oops:

Janmarques

Re: Another News Mod

Post by Janmarques » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:55 am

Use this on your page:

Code: Select all

<?php
include ("http://www.yourforum.com/announcements.php");
?>

Ben McElroy

Post by Ben McElroy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi,

I have installed this mod, and am attempting to get it to show the news on my main page, however I get the following error

QL Error : 37000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 31: Incorrect syntax near 'LIMIT'.

SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_time, t.topic_title, pt.post_text, u.username, u.user_id, t.topic_replies, pt.bbcode_uid, t.forum_id, t.topic_poster, t.topic_first_post_id, t.topic_status, pt.post_id, p.post_id, p.enable_smilies FROM phpbb_topics AS t, phpbb_users AS u, phpbb_posts_text AS pt, phpbb_posts AS p WHERE t.forum_id IN (1) AND t.topic_time <= 1174845052 AND t.topic_poster = u.user_id AND t.topic_first_post_id = pt.post_id AND t.topic_first_post_id = p.post_id AND t.topic_status <> 2 ORDER BY t.topic_time DESC LIMIT 0,5

http://www.kentlan.co.uk/kentlan.php

The forum is at http://www.kentlan.co.uk/forums/index.php

Janmarques

Post by Janmarques » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 pm

This MOD only supports MySQL databases, I'm sorry!

Ben McElroy

Post by Ben McElroy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Ah ok, thankyou :)

EvanKleist

Post by EvanKleist » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 pm

How can I make the size of the iframe stretch downwards to fit the news? I am using internet explorer 7.0. I read some of you have had success is playing with the height attribute, but that doesnt do the trick for me. Changing the height will stretch the iframe, but if i set it to 100%, it still doesnt display the entire contents. Also, is it possible to remove the grey background? I have my announcements in a blank page template and the gray background doesn't really look to good. I would like it much more if the gray background would go away, and then the announcements style would be a lot like the FAQ.

chiappa

Post by chiappa » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Janmarques, pls help us!:)

What is the solution to size the height of this thing properly?

My experience with (firefox, opera & safari) is that iframe shows the box too small, both with no height setting or 100%. Unless you size it with pixels, but then it can never be the exact size of the actual page. Ok, so iframe sucks anyway.. (or not?) I would prefer to use it as a php include anyway.

1st.. just throwing a php command on the .tpl wont work. U need eXtreme Styles mod as explained in this post.

Ok, now its actually doing something, but this is what:
Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #3 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #4 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #6 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #7 is not an array in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/growbotanic/common.php on line 78

any ideas? thxx!!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”