Stop Spambot Registration

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
13%
Good
5%
Fair
4%
Poor
5%

Total votes: 91

James N

Re: Stop Spambot Registration

Post by James N »

SniffMoney wrote:My default style is ACIDTECH and I did the edits to that style. Is the "don't type here" field going to be visible to someone signing up??
Yes, otherwise its going to be pointless
SniffMoney wrote:were on the control panel are MODS going to show up and allow you to edit them? (sorry, my first MOD)
They dont (unless the particular MOD is configerable from the ACP and this one isnt)

I have never used this MOD so I dont know all the ins and outs, but it looks like you have done something wrong somewhere. Replace your backups to the forum, have a break, and try again later
SniffMoney

Post by SniffMoney »

okay, i'll have to reintall this MOD. I was just playing around with it again and when i try to register and fill in the "intrest" and "location" field i get a "spam bot registration attempt" and it won't let me sign up.
SniffMoney

Post by SniffMoney »

Damn, I installed this MOD again and it's not working... there still is no field that say's "don't type here" in the register section. Does this MOD work on PHPBB2.0.22? And can I make these changes in WordPad?? Or do I need a special text editor?

I have installed this 3 times.. one or twice I got something wrong and got an error, but once I read the error and made the adjustment the site would flow like normal again... but no MOD.

Not quite sure what I’m doing wrong. It’s getting frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Is there software that will assist me in this? Is it worth it?

Thanks
-nick
James N

Post by James N »

As far as I can see, this MOD will work with 2.0.22 perfectly

I use the text editor in my sig.

I really dont know where you are going wrong.

Look for EasyMod if you want an automatic install of MODs
SniffMoney

Post by SniffMoney »

thanks, eastMOD did the trick... not sure what i was doing wrong. Is there a list of MODS out there that are easyMOD complient? There seems to be a lot of talk about not useing easyMOD becasue many times you will get error's... but i'm sure there are MODS out there that were made to be insalled with easyMOD... thanks for the help

-nick
deekin

Post by deekin »

I installed this mod and so far it has worked BEAUTIFULLY! Thanks!
Coroner

Post by Coroner »

Thanks for a great mod! I have been using it for over 6 months with great results.

I have developed an issue. Today I received an email from a person that said that they were recognized as a bot? So I went in to have a look and for some reason, the red spam bot line telling folks not to enter anything below is gone. I double and triple checked the codes and all is wright.

Any ideas?

Please let me know!
Loogaroo

Post by Loogaroo »

I'd like to add an extra condition to the PHP code that would block out any e-mail address that has a ".ru" extension, seeing as almost every spambot that's trying to register on my board has a ".ru" mailing address. I tried adding the following to the usercp_register.php file:

Code: Select all

if(  $email = '*.ru' || $icq!= '' || $aim != '' || $msn != '' || $yim != '' || $website != '' || $location != "'' || $occupation != '' || $interests != '' || $signature != '' )
But this seems to be blocking all e-mail addresses.

I know absolutely nothing about PHP, so I probably formatted the e-mail condition wrong. How would I go about fixing this?
Martian

Post by Martian »

Loogaroo wrote:I know absolutely nothing about PHP, so I probably formatted the e-mail condition wrong. How would I go about fixing this?
I don't know. But you can simply ban such e-mail addresses in your admin-CP by adding a wildcard with *@*.ru
Doug Wellington

Post by Doug Wellington »

I installed this mod, but I almost immediately got two registration attempts that didn't fill out the profile information. Luckily, every registration has to be approved, so the accounts weren't actually activated. The interesting thing is that both registrations modified the Board Style, probably hoping that I hadn't installed any mods in anything but the subSilver style.

I've added another test into this MOD so that if the style isn't "1" it gets rejected. Since then, I've gotten two more registration attempts that were rejected for that very reason.

I'm new around here (this is my first post!) so I don't know yet what the standard procedure is - do I forward my patches for this mod to someone for inclusion, or do I just post them here?

Thanks!
tarotamerica

Post by tarotamerica »

In ACP, under General Board Settings, you can also set Default style to whatever skin you want to use & override user style. I have had no successful spambot registrations in 3 months & it is only installed in RedSilver.
Coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous
—Albert Einstein
Doug Wellington

Post by Doug Wellington »

tarotamerica wrote:In ACP, under General Board Settings, you can also set Default style to whatever skin you want to use & override user style.
Sure... I'm not saying that I care which style they use - I was just observing that they didn't fill in any of the profile info, so it got past the Stop Spambot Registration MOD, but for whatever reason, they *did* change the user_style entry when they registered...
I have had no successful spambot registrations in 3 months & it is only installed in RedSilver.
If I didn't require admin confirmation, those initial two attempts would have worked. I've had a couple more attempts since then that did the same thing - that is, no profile info, but the style was changed. Adding the test for $user_style != '1" rejected those attempts...

BTW, they all seem to be coming from the caribbeansiteguide.com domain...
johannae

Post by johannae »

I have found that in some cases they get around the mod - so I block all users at those addresses. *@*carribeansiteguide.com or the like. Just be sure to use *@* in front of the spammers domain address.
Yahoo Support Sucks
rhorses

Post by rhorses »

:D :lol: :roll: :lol:
I just installed the mod using easymod. My board is 2.0.22. Went quick and slick. Seems to be working. I am now trying to register to make sure all is well.

My board was swamped with a least 20 spambots a day. What a mess. I never get to do anything on my board but clean up the members list.
rhorses

Post by rhorses »

I was able to register with no issues. I did see the warning about not filling in profiles.

All is well. Now when I wake up tomorrow I can determine if there is an issue.

I noticed earlier this evening that a certain web address was all over my board. I was checking the admin panel and saw the same IP. It was registering, looking at all the forum topics and I checked it out at whois and found it to be godaddy.com I have a mind to email them a nasty gram.

I banned their IP and they went away. Then there was one more in the guest area viewing topics and I checked them at whois and they were emachine.de. Oh well.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”