Stop Spambot Registration

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
13%
Good
5%
Fair
4%
Poor
5%

Total votes: 91

runegirlie

Re: Stop Spambot Registration

Post by runegirlie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:04 am

I had installed this some time ago and wanted to come back and thank you - before installing I was getting at least 4 (and in two days over 50!) spam bot registrations per day. No more for me!! TY!! :D

jpeery

Post by jpeery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:20 pm

So I've had this mod running for about a month or more, and REALLY like it, I get 4-8 attempts a day that this stops. However, it does seem to be working a little TOO good, I am getting a few rare legit folks that are not being allowed, I think it's the gmail address it's not liking though. So how do I go ahead and allow an attempt that been blocked? How can I see what criteria is used to determine what users are blocked? Is there a list that would block all gmail accounts? I know in my admin for my forums I've got several specific gmail accounts blocked (folks that tried before I had this mod running). I am thinking perhaps I need to delete all those now, or that it's seeing ANY gmail account and saying block them all? I'm kinda guessing here :-) Anyway, thanks for the awesome mod and any info.
JP

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:13 pm

jpeery wrote: So I've had this mod running for about a month or more, and REALLY like it, I get 4-8 attempts a day that this stops. However, it does seem to be working a little TOO good, I am getting a few rare legit folks that are not being allowed, I think it's the gmail address it's not liking though.

This MOD should not block ANY e-mail addresses. It should ONLY block registrations that enter profile information. So, have those "legit folks" entered profile information? If so, then they haven't read the warning.

jpeery

Post by jpeery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Huh, well, now it seems ALL attempts are being considered spambots... I just tried to create a test account myself with two different names and email accounts, both got flagged as spambots... Is there a default error log or something I can look at to see what's going on?

jpeery

Post by jpeery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:32 pm

Am I missing something here? Have been fooling around with this, and it seems if you leave everything blank (AIM ICQ, Location, etc) you can register... Did I fail to add a mod to not allow a new registration to use the www field or something?

jpeery

Post by jpeery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:41 pm

I am being an idiot, I failed to understand what you said in your message above. However, I don't see a message that says don't fill out the profile info, did I miss something when I installed this?

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:14 pm

jpeery wrote: Am I missing something here? Have been fooling around with this, and it seems if you leave everything blank (AIM ICQ, Location, etc) you can register...

Yes, with this MOD you should only be able to register when you leave everything blanc in the "profile information" fields.
jpeery wrote: I am being an idiot, I failed to understand what you said in your message above. However, I don't see a message that says don't fill out the profile info, did I miss something when I installed this?

On the registration page you should see a spambot warning message.

jpeery

Post by jpeery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:29 pm

And therein lies the problem, that banner is not happening on my site, I'll go back through the mod install and see what I missed.
Thanks!
JP

Martian

Post by Martian » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 am

DoneZone wrote: The big red notification that appears across registration page is very evident. That is good. However, the one thing concerns me is that a complete newbies will just stop upon reading it, and not even proceed to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit Button.

So, I would like to mod the following code to include another couple lines which state: Do not add anything further on this page. Just proceed directly to the bottom and click on the Submit Button. Thanks.

That's a good idea!
I have not thought of this myself. 8O
DoneZone wrote: Would this be correct?

It seems to be correct, yes.

DoneZone

Post by DoneZone » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:09 am

On our forums' registration pages this is what the spambot warning message looks like now.

Since installing this mod, and two others (Disable-Spambots-1.1.4 and Better Captcha), we have not had a single spambot registration or crap posting. 8)

Prior to getting smart in our fight against the spambots (i.e. installing mods ;) instead of simply deleting crap posts and deleting spambot registrations from the Membership list) we were getting at least half a dozen new registrations and many dozens of crap posts every day.

Thanks so much! :D

phillyph

Post by phillyph » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Greetings,

I am getting this page when trying to download the MOD:

Oopsies… what you have requested is gone!

James N

Post by James N » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:26 pm

phillyph wrote: Greetings,

I am getting this page when trying to download the MOD:

Oopsies… what you have requested is gone!

read How to SECURELY access modification downloads. at the top of the MODs page

billmorrow

Post by billmorrow » Tue May 01, 2007 8:30 am

hello, folks.... :)

/begin rant

going through this MOD and wanting to MOD the MOD a little, i am struck by the total LACK of comments in the code..

IF this is an educational as well as support forum AND IF the intent is to be helpful THEN there should be at least a few critical comments embedded within the code so as to enlighten those of us who are total idiots with just enough knowledge to be really dangerous..

"just enough knowledge" in this case is like a terrorist bomber NOT exploding until he is at least half way to his target of innocent people..

/end rant

;)

what i REALLY would love to have is a comment explaining this line, below:

if( $icq!= '' || $aim != '' || $msn != '' || $yim != '' || $website != '' || $location != '' || $occupation != '' || $interests != '' || $signature != '' )

what i THINK it does is set up an IF statement that will do something, as yet undetermined by yours truly, based upon what is IN, or NOT in, the various data fields..

i am guessing, without a php manual at hand, that IF this data field: $aim != '' is empty the IF statement fails and falls through to the next line in the code..

and that if there IS data, then a BOT has made it and the whole process dies and the spambot warning email is sent..

Soooooo, off to the digital trenches to do battle with php stuff and HOPE my miniscual experience with "programming" or total lack of experience writing BAT files will get me through to a MODified MOD that will fit my needs.. :)

if anyone has any knowledge on this matter a post here will be appreciated..

thanks and good morning..
Bill Morrow

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:13 am

Guys , I have searched everywhere.Can you please tell me where can I download EasyMOD ? Can you give me a download link for EasyMOD ?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

NitrousOxide

Post by NitrousOxide » Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 am

harishkumar09 wrote: Guys , I have searched everywhere.Can you please tell me where can I download EasyMOD ? Can you give me a download link for EasyMOD ?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=217673

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”