Stop Spambot Registration

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
13%
Good
5%
Fair
4%
Poor
5%

Total votes: 91

breadtop

Post by breadtop »

Thanks Martian, I had mucked it up,

...looking out at a spambot-free horizon 8)
Franey

Post by Franey »

Great MOD. I have just installed it, so I haven't had a chance to get a real spambot. Only glitch I've experienced... I only get an e-mail some of the time when I do a test registration. Any idea why that would happen? The registration is stopped every time, so the important part works.
cristian_rumble

Post by cristian_rumble »

it works for me but it is stopping some of my friends from registering... what determines wether a human or a bot are registering? ... and what did it tell my friends when they got denied? How do i fix this????
Martian

Post by Martian »

Franey wrote: Only glitch I've experienced... I only get an e-mail some of the time when I do a test registration. Any idea why that would happen? The registration is stopped every time, so the important part works.

Perhaps server problems? Test if e-mails are also not always send at other times, like with e-mail notifications for a new PB or reply to a topic, or with e-mails sent via the board.
cristian_rumble wrote: it works for me but it is stopping some of my friends from registering... what determines wether a human or a bot are registering? ... and what did it tell my friends when they got denied? How do i fix this????

On the registration page you should see a spambot warning message. When Profile Information is entered (by both spambots and humans), the registration will fail, showing a message "Spambot Registration Attempt", and an e-mail notification will be send to the admin. You can check this by registering and entering profile information.
Franey

Post by Franey »

cristian_rumble wrote: it works for me but it is stopping some of my friends from registering... what determines wether a human or a bot are registering? ... and what did it tell my friends when they got denied? How do i fix this????

It will say "Spambot Registration Attempt" after they submit their registration information. Then you should recieve an e-mail stating that they attempted to create an account. If your "real" would-be members are having trouble registering, it is probably because they aren't reading the directions. I'm not poking fun, that is a down side to this MOD. If you don't think the message on the registration screen is getting across to them, you can edit it in the language/lang_english/lang_main.php file. Make the font bigger, make the text bold, whatever you need to do.
Franey

Post by Franey »

cristian_rumble wrote: what determines wether a human or a bot are registering?

If they enter anything in the ICQ Number, AIM Address, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Website, Location, Occupation, Interests, or Signature fields they will be considered a bot. The message on the screen instructs a "real" person to leave these fields blank. They can add this information in their profile after registration.
cristian_rumble

Franey wrote:
cristian_rumble wrote:it works for me but it is stopping some of my friends from registering... what determines wether a human or a bot are registering? ... and what did it tell my friends when they got denied? How do i fix this????

It will say "Spambot Registration Attempt" after they submit their registration information. Then you should recieve an e-mail stating that they attempted to create an account. If your "real" would-be members are having trouble registering, it is probably because they aren't reading the directions. I'm not poking fun, that is a down side to this MOD. If you don't think the message on the registration screen is getting across to them, you can edit it in the language/lang_english/lang_main.php file. Make the font bigger, make the text bold, whatever you need to do.

Under my registration I see NOTHING telling anyone to leave these fields blank...
Martian

Post by Martian »

Franey wrote: If your "real" would-be members are having trouble registering, it is probably because they aren't reading the directions. I'm not poking fun, that is a down side to this MOD.

Yes, occasionally it will happen that a human enters Profile Information during registration. Those are propably people who also never read your forum rules, never read the forum descriptions, not search for an answer themselves, post in the wrong forums, etc. 8)
Martian

Post by Martian »

cristian_rumble wrote: Under my registration I see NOTHING telling anyone to leave these fields blank...

Then you either installed the MOD wrongly or the MOD is conflicting with another MOD.
reenmachine

Post by reenmachine »

Martian wrote:
Franey wrote:If your "real" would-be members are having trouble registering, it is probably because they aren't reading the directions. I'm not poking fun, that is a down side to this MOD.

Yes, occasionally it will happen that a human enters Profile Information during registration. Those are propably people who also never read your forum rules, never read the forum descriptions, not search for an answer themselves, post in the wrong forums, etc. 8)

:lol: :lol:
Totally. If they can't handle this mod I don't want them around anyway...

7 thwarted bots and counting...
Martian

Post by Martian »

reenmachine wrote: Totally. If they can't handle this mod I don't want them around anyway...

"Stop Spambot Registration MOD", also useful for stopping the likes that never read forum rules, announcements, forum descriptions, etc. :lol:
cristian_rumble

Martian wrote:
cristian_rumble wrote:Under my registration I see NOTHING telling anyone to leave these fields blank...

Then you either installed the MOD wrongly or the MOD is conflicting with another MOD.

I dont have any other mods installed...
Martian

Post by Martian »

cristian_rumble wrote: I dont have any other mods installed...

Is your standard forum language other than English? If so, then you need to put the code for language/lang_english/lang_main.php in the lang_main.php of your standard forum language. (and translate if you wish).

Do you not even see a red cell? If not, then you installed the MOD incorrectly.
breadtop

Post by breadtop »

working a treat, getting emails about the most persistent ones that were a problem in the past. Congrats on a great mod :)
Dan
cristian_rumble

Martian wrote:
cristian_rumble wrote:I dont have any other mods installed...

Is your standard forum language other than English? If so, then you need to put the code for language/lang_english/lang_main.php in the lang_main.php of your standard forum language. (and translate if you wish).

Do you not even see a red cell? If not, then you installed the MOD incorrectly.

So I drop EVERY line of code from language/lang_english/lang_main.php into lang_main.php??

Red Cell? Where?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”