Stop Spambot Registration

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65
71%
Very Good
12
13%
Good
5
5%
Fair
4
4%
Poor
5
5%
 
Total votes: 91

Martian
Registered User
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Olympus Mons
Contact:

Post by Martian »

cristian_rumble wrote: So I drop EVERY line of code from language/lang_english/lang_main.php into lang_main.php??

No, of course not, only the code for this MOD. So, do you use another language on your board?
cristian_rumble wrote: Red Cell? Where?

On the registration page, where you should see a spambot warning message. But if you use another language you don't see text if you put the code in the English lang_main.php, but you should still see a red rectangle.
cristian_rumble
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:07 am

Post by cristian_rumble »

Martian wrote:
cristian_rumble wrote:So I drop EVERY line of code from language/lang_english/lang_main.php into lang_main.php??

No, of course not, only the code for this MOD. So, do you use another language on your board?
cristian_rumble wrote: Red Cell? Where?

On the registration page, where you should see a spambot warning message. But if you use another language you don't see text if you put the code in the English lang_main.php, but you should still see a red rectangle.


No I dont, and I'm not too sure if I use another language, i thought by default it was english. Can you instant message me "soi" i have sooo many questions.
Martian
Registered User
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Olympus Mons
Contact:

Post by Martian »

cristian_rumble wrote: No I dont, and I'm not too sure if I use another language, i thought by default it was english.

The only thing that matters is what your board language is (the language guests see), if it's other than English.
cristian_rumble wrote: Can you instant message me "soi" i have sooo many questions.

Why not ask your questions here in this thread?

My findings:
1. your board language is English.
2. you don't see a warning message on the registration page.
Correct?

My diagnosis: you installed the MOD incorrectly.
MKCSystems
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:42 am
Location: Montgomery, IL
Contact:

Post by MKCSystems »

Sweet mod. Took about 10 minutes to install and I see the BIG RED BOX that tells humans not to enter anything here.

Now I will see if my spam submissions FINALLY dry up :mrgreen:
Mark Kurtz
Owner,
MKC Systems LLC
keithlaw
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:13 am
Contact:

Post by keithlaw »

:D Installed and tested. Spam bots have reduced the effectiveness of my forum by 70% or so. I will monitor for a two weeks and post the result.

In addition I have blocked many country email addresses eg Russia . My target market is local and I don't care if the Russians can't access my website/forum.
Keith James Law
mufka
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:52 pm

This mod works

Post by mufka »

I've tried several other mods to try to stop spambots. I've been using this for a week and so far I haven't had any successful registrations by spambots. Many attempts though. New legitimate users haven't complained about the registration process either.
reenmachine
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Post by reenmachine »

I had 7 attempts on Sunday alone, all blocked. I have had a 100% success rate with this MOD so far, and legit users are registering just fine. My mailbox plays a certain sound when I get a "Spambot Registration Attempt" email and I totally live to hear that sound now... :lol: :lol:

Thanks again!
edetore
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:34 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Contact:

Post by edetore »

This MOD installed beautifully and it was super easy to tweak the registration message to suit my own needs. I cannot imagine how anyone could miss it! It's very visible and could be made more/less so at will.

Thanks a bunch! I look very forward to seeing all those thwarted attempts! :D
Thanks so much!
~Beth
observe
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:12 am

Post by observe »

Thanx for the mod. I hope it will work.
But at the moment my question is: why do i see twice (one upon the other) the red field in which is written to leave blenk the fields? I do hope this will not harm the mod!

thanx in advance

Observe
keithlaw
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:13 am
Contact:

Post by keithlaw »

keithlaw wrote: :D Installed and tested. Spam bots have reduced the effectiveness of my forum by 70% or so. I will monitor for a two weeks and post the result.

In addition I have blocked many country email addresses eg Russia . My target market is local and I don't care if the Russians can't access my website/forum.


In th elast 4 days I have received 6 to 8 attempts each day and all have been effectively blocked. I am also banning the domain names of each bot.
Keith James Law
observe
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:12 am

Post by observe »

This mod is working on my forum , but, definitely, it does not work with all the bots. More than 20 new bots in two days not blocked. They simply leave those fields empty.
One of them has sent an mp to all the users with a link to a infected html.
Tnx to the authors, anyway.
Martian
Registered User
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Olympus Mons
Contact:

Post by Martian »

observe wrote: This mod is working on my forum , but, definitely, it does not work with all the bots. More than 20 new bots in two days not blocked. They simply leave those fields empty.

Occasionally I have bot accounts without SPAM on my forum too. But 20 of such bots in two days, that's unfreakingbelievable! I have never even had that many bots in total (with or without SPAM).

How many SPAMbots are being blocked at your forum per day?
observe wrote: One of them has sent an mp to all the users with a link to a infected html.
Tnx to the authors, anyway.

Geez, that really sucks.

AFAIK, I have not had such accounts that send messages; mostly these account are not even being activated. I guess people creating such bots should see a psychiatrist.. :roll:
SadSalman
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:07 pm
Location: Karachi, Pakistan.
Contact:

Post by SadSalman »

Greetings everyone,
This mod does stop the spambots as the author wrote,

12 bots stopped in 1 and a half day
2 bot didnt filled anything in the form so they got through :)

so the mod is doing what the author claimed,

Good Work & Thanks!
-Salman
observe
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:12 am

Post by observe »

Martian wrote: Occasionally I have bot accounts without SPAM on my forum too. But 20 of such bots in two days, that's unfreakingbelievable! I have never even had that many bots in total (with or without SPAM).

How many SPAMbots are being blocked at your forum per day?


In these days, 7-8 in a day. They register themselves all togheter, in 2 or 3 minutes, more or less. The only way to block them is to set the Admin permission for each registration. But in the meanwhile, they appear as registered anyway, and you have always to delete them manually...
Onots
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Post by Onots »

I've used this mod for a few weeks now. Works like a charm. All I can say about it really. Hehe, good job Martian.
observe wrote: More than 20 new bots in two days not blocked. They simply leave those fields empty.


I use this mod in combination with User Shield. This allows me to select all deactivated accounts at once, and delete them all with one click. ;-)
Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”