Expire Unactivated Users by Timeframe

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
58%
Very Good
42%
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 19

harknell

Re: [11/02/07] Expire Unactivated Users by Timeframe

Post by harknell » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 pm

BTW, for those interested, I've posted a quick hack that can upgrade the automation function to fire more often than if a mod or admin views a forum. Details are in this post http://harknell.com/viewtopic.php?t=2488 on my harknell.com support forum (scroll down to find the mod details).
Webmaster of the webcomic http://www.onezumi.com
The Art, The Comic, The Insanity

Nothing is easy

Post by Nothing is easy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:29 am

harknell wrote:Ok, let me see here. This mod is designed and limited to deleting people who have an unactivated account and NEVER activated it. This is on purpose to prevent users who may have temporarily been deactivated from being deleted by the mod.

While I can imagine that you might decide to ban a user who never activated their account, this seems a bit weird to me since how would you know they were a spammer if they never posted anything (since presumably you don't allow non-activated user to post to the forum). So anyone on a banned list is almost certainly normally going to be an activated user at some point, so the mod doesn't apply to them and wouldn't delete them by design. The mod is mostly designed to blow away in one shot the large numbers of spammer registrations that get done all the time by bots but never get activated.

I'll probably post the 2.0 version for publication now that things have returned to normal here.
The reason why I have quite a few people in my ban list that never activated is because I have found that by monitoring the registrations made on certain sites the same usernames tend to do the rounds. The banning is a pre-emptive strike against a spam post that I know is going to come. Additionally, you can often tell just by the username and what was used in the registration fields if a person is a spammer or not. So it is not weird at all.

The point I raised in my question about what you delete is entirely valid.....you should be doing a complete clean up of the userid from all relevant database tables and not just a part database deletion job of their userid based on your incorrect assumption - as it will indeed delete them partly from the database and not entirely.

IanL

Post by IanL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Nothing is easy wrote:The point I raised in my question about what you delete is entirely valid.....you should be doing a complete clean up of the userid from all relevant database tables and not just a part database deletion job of their userid based on your incorrect assumption - as it will indeed delete them partly from the database and not entirely.
Are you saying this mod does not complete delete them from the database? If i delete someone who has zero posts then i want them deleted completely. Normally if someone has made posts that arent spam and I am keeping the posts, then i wont delete the user because i dont want to the post to become attributed to 'guest'. So in that case i ban them. I've been using this mod for a while now to delete the unactivated users. I hope there's not bunch of junk left over in the db due to this.

harknell

Post by harknell » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Unless you are specifically pre-emptively adding users to a banlist before they ever post or activate their registration there is nothing left in the database. The question though is what behavior do people want in regard to the pre-emptive workflow for the banlist? I presume you wouldn't want these people deleted, since you put them on that list on purpose. Let me look at that one scenario. I'll post my research here soon.

IanL

Post by IanL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm

I personally dont ban un-activated people, i delete them. What I do ban sometimes are email addresses. Since a lot of the time the spammers register using the same domain and it's obvious the domain is just being used for spam.

Although if i were to ban an unactivated user, then i think I'd probably NOT want to delete them.

Do banned members still show up in the memberlist by default? If so, what i would do would instead of deleting the banned users is instead delete everything from their profile, this way if they show up in the memberlist, you are at least not advertising their spam by showing whatever garbage they put in their profile.

Nothing is easy

Post by Nothing is easy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:38 pm

The bottom line is I put people on the ban list to stop them from ever posting using that userid. Through experience I have found that some spammers leave userid's sleeping and then activate the some 6 months later so the ban prevents them doing anything when they do try and activate. But there are also times when I know that the userid just registered is a competitor that is going to spam my board and the ban stops them.

At the time I put users in the banned list I also clean their profile and give them a rank of banned spammer. Additionally another reason for banning them and not just deleting them is so that they can't re-register using the same email again.

The bottom line is that when a userid is deleted it should remove all references to them from all database tables. I am not asking for a function that only deletes people providing they are not in the ban list - although that would be a nice option to have. I am just saying that when a user is removed from the database it should be completely removed.

harknell

Post by harknell » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:53 am

While I don't think that this workflow is common, the fact that it CAN happen means that I'll update the code to check the banlist before deleting someone. In that case I won't have the mod delete them. I should have a newer version ready from my dev site at http://www.awsom.org by the beginning of next week.

mb007inc
Name: Martyn Bird

Post by mb007inc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 am

Hi there
I have just installed your mod "expire unactivted accounts" but the problem is that I cant log in now.
I uninstalled your mod thinking that this would cure the problem. But no still the same. I even tried sending for another password.
But still same result.
Can you help ?

harknell

Post by harknell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:00 pm

I've sent some questions to you by PM, Once I get some answers we can see what we can do to fix things.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Expire Unactivated Users by Timeframe

Post by Paul » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm

MOD Updated to version 2.0.1
See first post for Download Link
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

IanL

Re: Expire Unactivated Users by Timeframe

Post by IanL » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:19 pm

what has been changed in the 2.01 version?

thanks

rath213

Post by rath213 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Exactly what I needed. To remove the bot registrations... :D Thanks!

MIGhunter

Post by MIGhunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 pm

I just installed this last night and when I tried to run it, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to Expire Accounts, could not get user data of unactivated accounts

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : S0022 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name '1213797931'.

SELECT user_id FROM bb_users WHERE (user_active = 0) and (user_id <>-1) and (user_lastvisit = 0) and (user_regdate < "1213797931")

Line : 61
File : admin_expire_unactivated.php
Any idea what might be wrong and what I need to do to fix it?

clhellyer

Post by clhellyer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:14 pm

I am a total rookie when it comes to mods but I've done my homework to see how to implement a mod and I'd like to cut my teeth on your mod because this is exactly what I need right now! I've downloaded it and looked at the instructions and I think I can do this! Just one question - I noticed it has been validated on 2.0.22 - I have 2.0.20. Is that anything I should be concerned about? Do you think it will work on 2.0.22?

MIGhunter

Post by MIGhunter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 am

MIGhunter wrote:I just installed this last night and when I tried to run it, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to Expire Accounts, could not get user data of unactivated accounts

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : S0022 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name '1213797931'.

SELECT user_id FROM bb_users WHERE (user_active = 0) and (user_id <>-1) and (user_lastvisit = 0) and (user_regdate < "1213797931")

Line : 61
File : admin_expire_unactivated.php
Any idea what might be wrong and what I need to do to fix it?
I'm still having this problem. I thought this was the forum where we go to get help with this mod?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”