[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Post Reply

Rating:

Excellent!
51
69%
Very Good
14
19%
Good
2
3%
Fair
2
3%
Poor
5
7%
 
Total votes: 74

User avatar
MiVo_NL
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Leidschendam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by MiVo_NL »

I've installed the mod, but it doesn't seem to work, I've still the same spam registrations that coming through, and non stopped sofar with this mod.
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

MiVo_NL wrote: I've installed the mod, but it doesn't seem to work, I've still the same spam registrations that coming through, and non stopped sofar with this mod.


Do any of the profiles have any fields filled in that you did not allow in the control panel?
User avatar
MiVo_NL
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Leidschendam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by MiVo_NL »

nope, all empty.
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

MiVo_NL wrote: nope, all empty.


Then it is working. ;)

This mod can't stop a spammer that does not fill in the profile fields. And it does block spammers that do post the info. ;)
User avatar
MiVo_NL
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Leidschendam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by MiVo_NL »

ok, I will see how it goes the next couple of days :)
User avatar
miurdock
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:30 am
Contact:

Post by miurdock »

That is not the best mod..
bgunn
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:13 pm

Post by bgunn »

I installed this mod on my forum and the control panel is working fine, however new users can't register: After you click 'agree' on the first page of registration, you are taken to a blank screen with no registration fields.

Also the same happens if a registered user tries to change their profile.

Do you know why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Brian.

EDIT - I think I've fixed it, I applied the mod by hand, and must have screwed up the profile_add_body.tpl file, I copied a back up onto the forum and it seems fine. (Incidentally, my back-up looks identical to the changes required). Everything seems to work when I try and create an account with website details etc..

Sorry about that!
molecularbear
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 4:12 am

easymod installation

Post by molecularbear »

EXreaction wrote: To install this with easymod you must copy the .mod file from the contrib folder to the root folder of the mod and upload the entire thing(the .mod file must be in the same folder that has a folder named root/).

I found that copying the .mod file from the contrib/ subdir to the root/ subdir did not work (i.e., easymod did not see the mod). This process worked for me:
  • Copy the Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02 folder to the admin/mods/ directory. I noticed that when I unzipped the installation file, it created Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02/Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02/ - I removed this extraneous folder nesting when I did the copy.
  • Copy the .mod file from admin/mods/Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02/contrib/ to admin/mods/Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02/
  • easymod then saw the new mod
molecularbear
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 4:12 am

effectiveness of Anti_Spam_ACP

Post by molecularbear »

I wanted to thank EXreaction for putting in all the work/support into this mod. That said, I have some concerns over the effectiveness of the module in achieving its desired goal: stopping spambot registrations. I have a very small board with account activation set to Admin and visual confirmation turned on. Even with visual confirmation, I seem to get around 5-10 bot registrations every 24 hours. Thus I have turned to the mods for more protection.

Unless I misunderstand, this mod works by excluding certain fields from the registration process. The assumption is that automated spambot registration tries to submit the excluded fields; since they are submitting a field that does not appear in the browser, they are marked as spammers.

The problem is that the spammers are already parsing the page source to obtain the visual confirmation image, running it through some OCR algorithm, then filling out the form and submitting. Likewise, nothing prevents the spammer from parsing the page source to determine what fields are present, and then submitting only those fields.

Since installing this mod eight hours ago, 5 spambot accounts have been submitted for admin approval - none were blocked by the mod because none tried to submit those excluded fields. I think that the strategy employed by Anti_Spam_ACP is too easily circumvented in an automated way. I don't mean this as harsh criticism; separating spam traffic from "real" traffic is a very difficult problem to which I certainly don't have any easy answer.
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Re: effectiveness of Anti_Spam_ACP

Post by EXreaction »

molecularbear wrote: I wanted to thank EXreaction for putting in all the work/support into this mod. That said, I have some concerns over the effectiveness of the module in achieving its desired goal: stopping spambot registrations. I have a very small board with account activation set to Admin and visual confirmation turned on. Even with visual confirmation, I seem to get around 5-10 bot registrations every 24 hours. Thus I have turned to the mods for more protection.

Unless I misunderstand, this mod works by excluding certain fields from the registration process. The assumption is that automated spambot registration tries to submit the excluded fields; since they are submitting a field that does not appear in the browser, they are marked as spammers.

The problem is that the spammers are already parsing the page source to obtain the visual confirmation image, running it through some OCR algorithm, then filling out the form and submitting. Likewise, nothing prevents the spammer from parsing the page source to determine what fields are present, and then submitting only those fields.

Since installing this mod eight hours ago, 5 spambot accounts have been submitted for admin approval - none were blocked by the mod because none tried to submit those excluded fields. I think that the strategy employed by Anti_Spam_ACP is too easily circumvented in an automated way. I don't mean this as harsh criticism; separating spam traffic from "real" traffic is a very difficult problem to which I certainly don't have any easy answer.


Yep, if the bot submits any fields that were removed they get their registration denied.

To tell you the truth, it used to work much better than it does. Most spam bots even a few months ago always filled in everything. But many now check the page and only submit the fields if they are shown. Though this mod still does remove all registration spam(if you have it remove the parts during registration), it doesn't always stop bots from registering.

So in a sense, it does what it is meant to do for now. I have a few smaller projects to work on for the next week or so. After that I might get a chance to make this mod a bit more in-depth and add extra protection(I have a few ideas to trick bots already), more options, and spam protection to posting. :)

But I am only able to do this in my spare time(especially since I do not use this mod myself(I only have phpBB3 boards, no phpBB2 boards left)). So it may take some time. I am open to anyone who wants to help and work on it though. ;)
whats_up_skip
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Post by whats_up_skip »

I have manually installed this MOD, but I am now receiving error messages at the top of each page and I cannot go into the admin section. I do have some other MODs installed, but I cannot see where the problem(s) is.

Also the visual confirmation is not working now either.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/phpbb2/

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1) in /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/includes/page_header.php on line 483

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1) in /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/includes/page_header.php on line 485

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1) in /home/japanes/public_html/phpbb2/includes/page_header.php on line 486
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Did you get the mod working now(or remove it?)?

I just tried your site and the visual confirmation works fine.


Nice looking site BTW, I was actually looking at moving to Japan myself...so I might stop by(I have a lot of questions!). :D
whats_up_skip
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Post by whats_up_skip »

Sorry, I should have updated the message.

I ended up having to remove all the MOD, just to get the forum working again.

I just cannot work out where the problem was, I tried removing the MOD bit by bit to try to work it out.

Thanks for the compliments about the site.
molecularbear
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 4:12 am

uninstalling Anti_Spam_ACP

Post by molecularbear »

I noticed that easymod did not completely uninstall this module for me. I had to delete the DB records manually:

Code: Select all

delete from phpbb_config where config_name like 'as_acp_%';
I also had to delete a few files:

Code: Select all

rm admin/admin_anti_spam_acp.php
rm includes/anti_spam_acp.php
rm language/lang_english/email/admin_spam_notification.tpl
rm templates/subSilver/admin/anti_spam_acp_body.tpl
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

whats_up_skip wrote: Sorry, I should have updated the message.

I ended up having to remove all the MOD, just to get the forum working again.

I just cannot work out where the problem was, I tried removing the MOD bit by bit to try to work it out.

Thanks for the compliments about the site.


I can look at it for you if you would like. Give me an email or a private message and we can talk about it.

molecularbear wrote: I noticed that easymod did not completely uninstall this module for me. I had to delete the DB records manually:

Code: Select all

delete from phpbb_config where config_name like 'as_acp_%';
I also had to delete a few files:

Code: Select all

rm admin/admin_anti_spam_acp.php
rm includes/anti_spam_acp.php
rm language/lang_english/email/admin_spam_notification.tpl
rm templates/subSilver/admin/anti_spam_acp_body.tpl


Well, I have not tested the EasyMod uninstallation at all, so I do not know if it should do that or not.
Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”