[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
19%
Good
3%
Fair
3%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 74

Gib...

Alpha testing

Post by Gib... »

Hi,

I just installed the new version. Installation went fine. I did a manual install comparing differences with current version.

Registration works fine. I also tried to inactivate my test user and it shows fine in the inactive list. Activation, ban, un-ban, delete work fine. I have not had a bot yet. But I modified the profile_add_body.tpl to display one switch field and I tried registering, got the spam attempt email fine and one entry in the log, with IP address. Clear log works fine.

Here are my first observations after install.

I don't understand why you duplicated the General Board Settings in the General options.

In the log, the user ID of my bot test is simply "Guest", does not seem very useful. I have admin confirmation of registration. Will I'll get all user ID shown as Guest?

I did not get the display of the number of bots caught. In many files, the line:

Code: Select all

'L_NUM_BOTS_CAUGHT' => sprintf($lang['Num_Bots_Caught'], $board_config['as_acp_bots_stopped']),
did not work for me, but this line works fine:

'L_NUM_BOTS_CAUGHT' => ($lang['Num_Bots_Caught'] . $board_config['as_acp_bots_stopped']),
If I remove "%s" at the end of $lang['Num_Bots_Caught']
------

In admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.php

replace:

$phpbb_root_path . "admin/admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$
by

"admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$
As a security measure, my Admin folder is empty and the board works with another (admin) folder named something like "349#@*($fkkf", so all alphabet and pagination are not working when looking for the Antispam ACP files in the admin folder (the files are in my name modified admin folder). The above modifications makes the links relative in the inactive list. I also modifier other instances, like:
'admin/admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$

I kept only one instance of the admin folder:
'body' => 'admin/anti_spam_acp_inactive.tpl') or 'body' => 'admin/anti_spam_acp_log.tpl')
I don't know what it does but everything seem to work even if the template is not in my empty admin folder.

------

For translation purpose, you need to transfer words like General options, Inactive Userlist, Profile Options, Spam Log in lines like:

$module['Anti Spam']['Inactive Userlist'] = $filename;
to the file lang_anti_spam_acp.php

_____

In anti_spam_acp_profile.tpl the first column is too wide,
replace

<td class="row1" width="65%">{field_row.L_TITLE}: <br /></td>
by

<td class="row1">{field_row.L_TITLE}: <br /></td>
---------
In the inactive userlist, there is a reference to an image I do not have: ../templates/subSilver/images/arrowright.png (I think I have not made any modification to the image folder of Subsilver).

--------

I'll keep you posted if I find something else.

Bye

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

soulstice wrote: after installing this mod for 1 day, i had 3 spammers stopped, but 15 still registered and 3 posted. :(

Glad it helped a little. But nothing can really be done to stop human spammers. My next version will be a little more powerful and you can control posting options until users have a certain number of posts, so wait a few weeks and it should be out. :D

Gib... wrote: I don't understand why you duplicated the General Board Settings in the General options.

I plan on moving things around a little yet. My idea is that it will help a lot to have all(or at least all the small options) the anti-spam type stuff in one area. I still need to add stuff and make a few more pages, so some might get added or removed. :)
Gib... wrote: In the log, the user ID of my bot test is simply "Guest", does not seem very useful. I have admin confirmation of registration. Will I'll get all user ID shown as Guest?

If the user that did it is -1(the anonymous user) I had it say "Guest" instead of -1(so people who do not know what the -1 user is don't get confused). If you try it with a registered user it will say the User ID(though thinking about it, I might just remove that field and swap it with one that says where it was, like registration, profile edit, or posting).
Gib... wrote: I did not get the display of the number of bots caught. In many files, the line:

'L_NUM_BOTS_CAUGHT' => sprintf($lang['Num_Bots_Caught'], $board_config['as_acp_bots_stopped']),
did not work for me, but this line works fine:

'L_NUM_BOTS_CAUGHT' => ($lang['Num_Bots_Caught'] . $board_config['as_acp_bots_stopped']),
If I remove "%s" at the end of $lang['Num_Bots_Caught']

That is weird, I will look into it. :)
Gib... wrote: In admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.php

replace:

$phpbb_root_path . "admin/admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$
by

"admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$
As a security measure, my Admin folder is empty and the board works with another (admin) folder named something like "349#@*($fkkf", so all alphabet and pagination are not working when looking for the Antispam ACP files in the admin folder (the files are in my name modified admin folder). The above modifications makes the links relative in the inactive list. I also modifier other instances, like:
'admin/admin_anti_spam_acp_inactive.$

I kept only one instance of the admin folder:
'body' => 'admin/anti_spam_acp_inactive.tpl') or 'body' => 'admin/anti_spam_acp_log.tpl')
I don't know what it does but everything seem to work even if the template is not in my empty admin folder.

Didn't think of that...I will do it though. :)

Gib... wrote: For translation purpose, you need to transfer words like General options, Inactive Userlist, Profile Options, Spam Log in lines like:

$module['Anti Spam']['Inactive Userlist'] = $filename;
to the file lang_anti_spam_acp.php

That is what I had originally, but for some reason when the mod team here approved my mod they said that I should leave it as just the words...I think I will ask wGEric on it once. :)
Gib... wrote: In anti_spam_acp_profile.tpl the first column is too wide,
replace

<td class="row1" width="65%">{field_row.L_TITLE}: <br /></td>
by

<td class="row1">{field_row.L_TITLE}: <br /></td>

Yes, I still have some tweaks like that I have to do...it's is a rough layout so far, but it will be polished once I get everything together. :)

Gib... wrote: In the inactive userlist, there is a reference to an image I do not have: ../templates/subSilver/images/arrowright.png (I think I have not made any modification to the image folder of Subsilver).

Oops, ya, I forgot to include that. I will in the next Alpha though. :)

Thanks a lot for all the help. 8)

maddog720

Post by maddog720 »

EXreaction wrote:
maddog720 wrote:How do I use this with easymod?

It says in my first post in this thread. ;)
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 68#2600268

Oops, thanks.

Kurt123

Post by Kurt123 »

Sorry for being an idiot, but can someone clarify exactly how this MOD works? For example, in the Anti-Spam settings, if I set "Website" to "Off for Registration," does this mean that if a bot (or human) tries to enter a website, the MOD will see them as SPAM and prevent the registration?

If so, since the website field would be disabled, where would the bot (or human) even enter the website in the first place?

Also, what do the "Set according to post count" and "__ post count" options do?

Thanks!

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Kurt123 wrote: Sorry for being an idiot, but can someone clarify exactly how this MOD works? For example, in the Anti-Spam settings, if I set "Website" to "Off for Registration," does this mean that if a bot (or human) tries to enter a website, the MOD will see them as SPAM and prevent the registration?

If so, since the website field would be disabled, where would the bot (or human) even enter the website in the first place?

Also, what do the "Set according to post count" and "__ post count" options do?

Thanks!

Those options let you configure how long the fields are turned off for(off for registration means that during registration they are not available). It also makes sure they are not filled in, if they are it denies the registration.

Bots usually do not visit the actual page for registration. Most of the time they just go to the page and manually insert the post variables(to submit the page without having to view it and then fill it in). It is possible to manually fill in post variables with web browsers as well, so just because it is hidden would not mean it was impossible to fill in. :)

Same things as the others, if you don't want the users to have that part available until they have a certain postcount you set it to that and put in what the post count would be. :)

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Gib...

Post by Gib... »

A few questions before trying it.

Why do we need a better captcha? How can I tell it is better than the one included in PHPBB? Also, you basically included a small modification of the Better Captcha mod, is that OK with the original author? Judging by the images, it seems you version is simpler than the original because there is no letters in the background, is it still better?

No offense to you, but I'm a little skeptical and prudent. If a captcha is better, why didn't the PHPBB team included it in the current PHPBB version? I like your mod, which does something the system doesn't do, but changing something already there must really be better.

SpacePower

Post by SpacePower »

I said it already. This mod works fine for me (had a little problem with installation on one board) but it seems to get a lot of spam idiots out.

Don't know if it is already mentioned here: I tried to put multiple email addresses for spam notification into the textfield as it is said: To enter multiple email addresses use a comma between each.

But this run into an error if someone is trying to register:
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 553 5.1.2 ... Invalid route address

DEBUG MODE

Line : 153
File : smtp.php

If I use ; instead of , it works for me.
Power to the Peaceful
My forum(s):
http://www.stayhuman.org/phpBB2
http://www.spearhead-home.com/phpBB2
My website:

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Gib... wrote: A few questions before trying it.

Why do we need a better captcha? How can I tell it is better than the one included in PHPBB? Also, you basically included a small modification of the Better Captcha mod, is that OK with the original author? Judging by the images, it seems you version is simpler than the original because there is no letters in the background, is it still better?

No offense to you, but I'm a little skeptical and prudent. If a captcha is better, why didn't the PHPBB team included it in the current PHPBB version? I like your mod, which does something the system doesn't do, but changing something already there must really be better.

Because the current captcha is no match at all for spam bots. I have tested it against one major spam bot(that can get into all kinds of different boards, has auto-activation features, and can get into a vanilla phpBB 2.0.21 board within seconds). The guesses it makes against my captcha are not even close.

Yes, it should be completely fine with him. He released it under the GNU GPL and I am following all the rules under the modifications part.
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

It has both more and less stuff. ;)
More(almost weird) fonts(which makes it very hard for bots to read) yet very easy for humans(I am making sure of that).

I removed the background letters because those made it very hard to read IMO. Readability comes first.

They won't upgrade the captcha because they think changing phpBB2 to make it spam resistant is a feature addition. Every time it is asked they simply refuse to make any changes. ;)

I have been making more tweaks to the system and everything to go with the captcha, and personally I think it works great(and there is an option that will let you change between the old and new in the ACP with the updates I have made(not in Alpha 2, but Alpha 3) providing the user has GD support in the first place(otherwise it will use the old one)). :)

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

SpacePower wrote: I said it already. This mod works fine for me (had a little problem with installation on one board) but it seems to get a lot of spam idiots out.

Don't know if it is already mentioned here: I tried to put multiple email addresses for spam notification into the textfield as it is said: To enter multiple email addresses use a comma between each.

But this run into an error if someone is trying to register:
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 553 5.1.2 ... Invalid route address

DEBUG MODE

Line : 153
File : smtp.php

If I use ; instead of , it works for me.

I will look into that, thanks. :)

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Wohoo! 8)

Anti-Spam ACP 2.0.0 Beta 1:
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/files/php ... am_ACP.zip

It includes URL/Link control for posting and the option to hide inactive users. :)

I still won't make an upgrade path between Betas(if I need more). I did not include the upgrade info for 1.1.02 to 2.0.0 yet either. But I would really love it if someone could test it for me. :)

BGC Mackey

Post by BGC Mackey »

EXreaction wrote: But I would really love it if someone could test it for me. :)

I tried to install it but it gave me 3 errors; my board is heavily modded and I'm using EasyMOD though. One was a whitespace problem in my 2nd theme. The 2nd is:

Mod line 670:

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . "
The only line I have in memberlist.php that looks like that is line 294:

WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;
And lastly, the SQL file is broken. Line 224:

$sql[] = "ALTER TABLE ' . CONFIRM_TABLE . ' CHANGE `code` `code` CHAR( 8 )';
         ^            ^
After fixing those, so far so good :)

/mackey

Gib...

Post by Gib... »

Hi,

Thanks for your answers on my doubts. I installed Beta 1.

I found a few problems so far.

I have "Send notification email" set to Yes. Then, I added one forbidden field on the registration form. Got an entry in the spam log but no notification email. Test email works fine.

I tried to register entering the wrong letters for Confirmation code. I got this error:

Failed to update log table.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'image était: "UJZR". Vous avez entré: "UJZp".
')' at line 2
Seems to try entering this (in French) in the database:
$lang['Wrong_Captcha_Code'] = 'Vous avez entré un code de confirmation erroné. Le code dans l\'image était "%s". Vous avez entré: "%s".';. Looks like the problem is the quote passed to $as_triggers. Works OK if I remove the quote.

In anti_spam_acp.tpl, in this line

<td align="left" width="150px"><input class="post" type="text" maxlength="4" size="5" name="as_acp_posting_url_post" value="{POSTING_URL_POSTS}" /> {L_POSTS}</td>
The correct variable is {POSTING_URL_POST}. There was no display of the database content of as_acp_posting_url_post.

I made the French translation, only remains the left panel of Admin,under Anti-spam (General options, inactive user list, profile options, Spam log), which I can't translate because the words are not in the lang file. I solved that by adding 4 entries such as $lang['Inactive_Userlist'] to lang_admin.php and corresponding underscore in your code for each module ($module['Anti Spam']['General_Options']).

One more comment. In the inactive user list, I have 5 pages of pagination even when there is one or no inactive users. Seems to be the number of pages to display the whole list of users, the count should be for the inactive users only.

phphelp1234

Post by phphelp1234 »

how do i install this with easymod? i compy the directory over to my mod folder and when i try to install via admin control panel i get:

"Could not open [./mods/Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02a/LICENSE.txt] for reading."

i delete that file and get the same thing but for "read_me_first.txt"

delete that and a screen shows up showing no available mods.

something simple i know but cant figure it out. please help. thanks

edit: woops, looks like i have an old version...gonna try the newest 1. silly me :oops:

edit2: now i'm getting

"Could not open [./mods/Anti-Spam_ACP/Anti-Spam_ACP.mod] for reading."

chmod values look fine

garryoak

Post by garryoak »

EXreaction wrote: Wohoo! 8)

Anti-Spam ACP 2.0.0 Beta 1:
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/files/php ... am_ACP.zip

It includes URL/Link control for posting and the option to hide inactive users. :)

I still won't make an upgrade path between Betas(if I need more). I did not include the upgrade info for 1.1.02 to 2.0.0 yet either. But I would really love it if someone could test it for me. :)

Thanks for your hard work, Ex, I am really itching to try this. Tonight I installed EasyMOD, since I am lazy sysadmin and not a coder at all. Then I ran the .mod file through the validator at http://www.phpbb.com/mods/validator.php and it didn't like some of the syntax. Is this a real problem, and if so can you (or I) fix it?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”