[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
19%
Good
3%
Fair
3%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 74

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, those are by spam bots.

They manually submit POST variables instead of going through the form.
toddo

Awesome

Post by toddo »

I have to admit I was initially hesitant in installing this mod due to some of the problems that were brought up in the first few posts, and anything outside of EasyMod gives me huge amounts of stress :lol:.

I did have the "registration disable signature mod" installed with the "spam words" mod but bots were still putting their links in the other registration fields. <GRRR>

So, out of desperation I removed the "registration disable signature mod" with EasyMod and then installed Anti-Spam ACP (I did get the latest version from EXreaction's website though).

Wow! Not one spam has succeeded in almost a week! Thank you soooo much EXreaction. Running my board is now fun again! </GRRR>
Kerig

Post by Kerig »

EXcellent MOD!!!
The only issue I had after installing with EasyMod was that the option for 'Use a modified version of Better Captcha' didn't work (no image in demo and missing image on fora), so I had to revert back to the standard phpBB captchas. Did I miss a step somewhere, or am I needing to install Better Captcha first?

Thanks!

-Kerig
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Kerig wrote: EXcellent MOD!!!
The only issue I had after installing with EasyMod was that the option for 'Use a modified version of Better Captcha' didn't work (no image in demo and missing image on fora), so I had to revert back to the standard phpBB captchas. Did I miss a step somewhere, or am I needing to install Better Captcha first?

Thanks!

-Kerig

That captcha does not work on some hosts. No, you do not need to install anything else on your forums.
Kerig

Post by Kerig »

EXreaction wrote: That captcha does not work on some hosts. No, you do not need to install anything else on your forums.

Good to know! Thanks for a great, easy-to-install Mod!
:D
-Kerig
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Oh, also, I forgot to ask(just noticed you used EasyMod). Did you try what it said to try in the readme file?

Once in a while EasyMod messes up the fonts(if you have it transfer files via FTP). Try reuploading the fonts yourself.
roady89

Post by roady89 »

I used a similar captcha MOD. I think you need FreeType Support compiled on your host's server for the improved captcha part to work properly.
NoDeity
Name: Brad Reddekopp

Post by NoDeity »

EXreaction wrote:
NoDeity wrote:I'm using the latest phpBB2. I have quite a few other mods installed and the problem was there before I installed your mod, so perhaps it's not appropriate for me to have brought it up in this thread. I suppose that what I should do is remove all mods and re-install them one-by-one to see if I can find out that way which mod or which combination of mods is causing the problem. That sounds like a lot of work.

Look at all the mods you installed and see what modified includes/usercp_register.php. Those are the ones that need checking over. :)

For whatever it's worth, my testing indicates that it was the "Remove Duplicate Sessions" MOD that was causing the visual confirmation system on my board to fail.

This evening, I re-installed my board and re-installed the MODs. After installing each MOD, I did a test registration. After installing "Remove Duplicate Sessions", the visual confirmation did not work. I tried it several times to confirm that. After un-installing "Remove Duplicate Sessions", the visual confirmation worked. Again, I tried it several times to make sure.

By the way, I am still very impressed with your MOD's ability to stop the spam and I've recommended it to a number of other admins.
drumstix42

Post by drumstix42 »

In case you missed it, Ptirhiik recently released a pretty nifty CAPTCHA.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=495004
Need a phpBB update or mod installed? PM me for any questions and pricing!
HostMonster.com (Unlimited Space, Unlimited Transfer, Unlimited Domains, $6.95/month )
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Not bad. :)
quahappy
Former Team Member
Name: Andy Green

Post by quahappy »

EXreaction wrote: Yes, those are by spam bots.

They manually submit POST variables instead of going through the form.

Ahh - confirmed my suspicion then. You wouldn't believe the amount of work this brilliant Anti-Spam ACP MOD has reduced at my forum. Invaluable without a doubt.

Thanks again!
If you don't ask.....
Xexon

Post by Xexon »

Hey EXreaction,
I'm a phpBB novice and I've just installed it on a phpBB 2.0.20 with subSilver theme, but like another poster on this board the, fields in the registration area are still showing. Unlike the other poster I'm running with subSilver so I can't really copy the file into subSilver :)
Any idea on what I should try?

Otherwise the mod is working great, sending e-mails when I write stuff in the illegal fields. It's nice to have a mod that stops ridiculous bots spamming incest links on our forum.

The board is at www.dr.bent-ole.dk

Hope you can help me,
Xexon
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Xexon wrote: Hey EXreaction,
I'm a phpBB novice and I've just installed it on a phpBB 2.0.20 with subSilver theme, but like another poster on this board the, fields in the registration area are still showing. Unlike the other poster I'm running with subSilver so I can't really copy the file into subSilver :)

Otherwise the mod is working great, sending e-mails when I write stuff in the illegal fields. It's nice to have a mod that stops ridiculous bots spamming incest links on our forum.

Hope you can help me,
Xexon

Do you have any other mods installed?

Wait a minute, you installed it on phpBB 2.0.20? This mod should only install correctly on 2.0.21 or newer. Did you install this manually or with EasyMod?
Xexon

Post by Xexon »

EXreaction wrote:
Xexon wrote:Hey EXreaction,

Hope you can help me,
Xexon

Do you have any other mods installed?

Wait a minute, you installed it on phpBB 2.0.20? This mod should only install correctly on 2.0.21 or newer. Did you install this manually or with EasyMod?

I have no other mods installed and I installed this one manually, but I'll try upgrading the phpBB forum.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Xexon wrote: I have no other mods installed and I installed this one manually, but I'll try upgrading the phpBB forum.

Update to phpBB 2.0.22, then install the pre-modified pack for Anti-Spam ACP 2.0.7. :)

To upgrade to phpBB 2.0.22 all you have to do is download the full package to your pc. Then make sure you have a complete backup of your forum. Then upload everything in the phpBB 2.0.22 package except config.php.

Then go to yoursite.com/install/update_to_latest.php(or something like that, I don't remember exactly).

Then delete the contrib and install folder. And your updated to 2.0.22.

Then just upload the the files required for the premodified version of Anti-Spam ACP and your done. :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”