[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
19%
Good
3%
Fair
3%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 74

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: [20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

Post by EXreaction »

migthegreek wrote: This mod doesn't seem to have stopped any spam bots registering. They are still registering and have all 3 fields filled in with crap in their profiles.

What version?

If they can still register and have junk in their profiles the mod was not completely installed correctly.
migthegreek

Post by migthegreek »

Ok, I will re-install.
Bored? Visit my website for some entertainment...

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

migthegreek wrote: Ok, I will re-install.

If you were not using 2.0.8, I recommend you do. :)
migthegreek

Post by migthegreek »

I tried reinstalling and now everyone gets a blank white page when they try to view their profile. I will try to clear all modifications to the affected files and reinstall again, again :(
Bored? Visit my website for some entertainment...

divinewrite

Post by divinewrite »

Hi,

A couple of weeks back, I posted a question about a failed upgrade attempt:
I've just tried to upgrade from 1.1.0.2 to 2.0.7. I believe I followed all the install instructions correctly (and read the Read_Me_First.txt first).

When I tried to install the upgrade using the Install MODs, I got the following error.

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [includes/functions.php] could not find:

WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . "

MOD script line #312 :: FAQ :: Report

Any idea what I've done wrong (I assume it's me who's at fault here, as this is my first time upgrading a mod).

EXreaction, you replied, asking me what version of PHPBB2 I'm running. I replied:
Immediately before attempting to update to the latest version of anti-spam acp, I updated to the latest version of phpbb2 (i.e. 2.0.22). That operation was successful - no errors.

Since then, I haven't heard anything. I think your forum was down for a while due to a server issue? Perhaps you're still working through a backlog...

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

And once again, great mod!

Cheers.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Sorry that I missed your post then. :P

That error would probably happen from you not upgrading to the latest version (or an older version) correctly for functions.php

What other mods do you have installed?
divinewrite

Post by divinewrite »

No problems whatsover. I'm sure that - like me - you have way too much to do!

Here's my list of mods from my mod history page:

Notify Admin On All Posting
phpBB 2.0.21 to phpBB 2.0.22 Code Changes
The humanizer (Tips2)
Admin Userlist
Only Active Members Can Post URLs
Anti-spam ACP
Easy Admin Topic Notifier
The humanizer
Hide Zero Posters
EasyMOD

Cheers.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Ah, I think it may be from the Hide Zero Posters mod you have installed. Though I have not looked at the mod myself, but I am pretty sure it changes the same area.
quahappy
Former Team Member
Name: Andy Green

Post by quahappy »

Hi,

I've had this brilliant Anti-Soam ACP mod for quite a while now and it has stopped everything in it's track....

But a new problem has occurred in the past couple of weeks that is causing major headaches. Long-standing members no longer being able to access my forum, instead keep getting the infamous "Can Not display this page" message.

Initially, after some in-depth investigation I thought it lied with the fact those members that had problems accessing my website was due to them being with AOL - and we all know the issues with proxies causing problems!

I had advised them to use a third party proxy website to combat this problem but it hadn't solved it. Then another Administrator on my website in the past few days also kept getting the same access problem and they are not with AOL.

After talks with my website hosts, there has been NO problems with servers which I suspected as I've never had a problem accessing my website (my IP is static).

So I'll get to the point now. Apparently what is happening is that the Anti-Spam MOD is doing it's job too well. According to my webhost who has looked into this (as they HATE it when members get down-time). every dynamic IP that is having issues connecting to my website have been black listed as a known spamming IP. Apparently the affected users have been blacklisted by another company and the anti-spam software reads the database?!

Obviously the database has built up over a period of time and one by one, members with dynamic IPs are now getting problems accessing my site.

There is a really simple solution without removing the Anti-Spam Mod all together and that is advise affected members to switch to static IPs - problem solved.

The above is findings from my webhost. I, personally, don't know what to do, although I do know that something needs to be done quickly otherwise my affected members will leave my forum which is not good as I have an online game coming soon.

I really am scratching my head and at a total loss what to do. Is there anyway round this problem of members not being able to access my site? Can anything be disabled in the Anti-Spam mod to allow those affected back into the site?

Would really appreciate any urgent help in this matter.

Many thanks.

The other is to remove the Anti-Spam - which I don't REALLY want to do.
If you don't ask.....
divinewrite

Post by divinewrite »

EXreaction wrote: Ah, I think it may be from the Hide Zero Posters mod you have installed. Though I have not looked at the mod myself, but I am pretty sure it changes the same area.

Ok, thanks. So do I just uninstall it, then re-install yours? (I don't really need that mod now anyway...)

Cheers.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

quahappy wrote: Hi,

I've had this brilliant Anti-Soam ACP mod for quite a while now and it has stopped everything in it's track....

But a new problem has occurred in the past couple of weeks that is causing major headaches. Long-standing members no longer being able to access my forum, instead keep getting the infamous "Can Not display this page" message.

Initially, after some in-depth investigation I thought it lied with the fact those members that had problems accessing my website was due to them being with AOL - and we all know the issues with proxies causing problems!

I had advised them to use a third party proxy website to combat this problem but it hadn't solved it. Then another Administrator on my website in the past few days also kept getting the same access problem and they are not with AOL.

After talks with my website hosts, there has been NO problems with servers which I suspected as I've never had a problem accessing my website (my IP is static).

So I'll get to the point now. Apparently what is happening is that the Anti-Spam MOD is doing it's job too well. According to my webhost who has looked into this (as they HATE it when members get down-time). every dynamic IP that is having issues connecting to my website have been black listed as a known spamming IP. Apparently the affected users have been blacklisted by another company and the anti-spam software reads the database?!

Obviously the database has built up over a period of time and one by one, members with dynamic IPs are now getting problems accessing my site.

There is a really simple solution without removing the Anti-Spam Mod all together and that is advise affected members to switch to static IPs - problem solved.

The above is findings from my webhost. I, personally, don't know what to do, although I do know that something needs to be done quickly otherwise my affected members will leave my forum which is not good as I have an online game coming soon.

I really am scratching my head and at a total loss what to do. Is there anyway round this problem of members not being able to access my site? Can anything be disabled in the Anti-Spam mod to allow those affected back into the site?

Would really appreciate any urgent help in this matter.

Many thanks.

The other is to remove the Anti-Spam - which I don't REALLY want to do.

This mod does not block ANY IP addresses.

Perhaps you are in the wrong thread?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

divinewrite wrote:
EXreaction wrote: Ah, I think it may be from the Hide Zero Posters mod you have installed. Though I have not looked at the mod myself, but I am pretty sure it changes the same area.

Ok, thanks. So do I just uninstall it, then re-install yours? (I don't really need that mod now anyway...)

Cheers.

Yes, you could uninstall the hide zero posters mod, then run the 1.1.02 to 2.0.8 upgrade file again with easymod(I am assuming you didn't try to upgrade to 2.0.8 by removing that part of the install instructions and you are still running 1.1.02, correct?)
pacmany

Post by pacmany »

spam bot with email *@be-adapted.info and *@adidas-in-da-style.info after registering not wrighte (filled any fields) enyting except username , email and pass !!!
phpquestions

Post by phpquestions »

So after a battle I thought I was done. I only have manual function of EasyMod to use. Not FTP for php files. I don't see any changes in the forum after this install? I noticed on install of this antispam prior to the last page of using EASYMOD it mentioned manual functions on some items also a backup option. Are there further files to move manually for this to work. Thought EASY MOD was going to make this easy. Not so far?

I also keep going in circles of website links to get help on this. Hope someone familiar with this and EasyMOd can help.

How do you see what this anti spam does or set up??????? Should I see any options in the Admin control panel for this MOD? Keep going in circles trying to stop the spam.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

phpquestions wrote: So after a battle I thought I was done. I only have manual function of EasyMod to use. Not FTP for php files. I don't see any changes in the forum after this install? I noticed on install of this antispam prior to the last page of using EASYMOD it mentioned manual functions on some items also a backup option. Are there further files to move manually for this to work. Thought EASY MOD was going to make this easy. Not so far?

I also keep going in circles of website links to get help on this. Hope someone familiar with this and EasyMOd can help.

How do you see what this anti spam does or set up??????? Should I see any options in the Admin control panel for this MOD? Keep going in circles trying to stop the spam.

I have never used the manual file transfer part of easymod, so I can't help you there.

If you do not have any mods other than EasyMod installed and are running phpBB 2.0.22, I recommend you use the pre-modified package (it will make things much easier for you). :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”