[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
19%
Good
3%
Fair
3%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 74

phpquestions

Re: [20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

Post by phpquestions »

EXreaction wrote:
phpquestions wrote: So after a battle I thought I was done. I only have manual function of EasyMod to use. Not FTP for php files. I don't see any changes in the forum after this install? I noticed on install of this antispam prior to the last page of using EASYMOD it mentioned manual functions on some items also a backup option. Are there further files to move manually for this to work. Thought EASY MOD was going to make this easy. Not so far?

I also keep going in circles of website links to get help on this. Hope someone familiar with this and EasyMOd can help.

How do you see what this anti spam does or set up??????? Should I see any options in the Admin control panel for this MOD? Keep going in circles trying to stop the spam.

I have never used the manual file transfer part of easymod, so I can't help you there.

If you do not have any mods other than EasyMod installed and are running phpBB 2.0.22, I recommend you use the pre-modified package (it will make things much easier for you). :)

I now have 2 mods installed. They are antispam and easymod. Anti spam said it had successfully installed.(Not quite) Since this was my first attempt with easymod, obiviously I missed the step of download and then manually ftp the files to their correct locations. Since I only have the download option selected in easymod, don't have full access to the php files. I would like to try again. Since your instructions say not to have a previous version on the forum, what is needed to uninstall antispam. Easy mod showed the 12 files changed. Would this be correct. Can I simply download the these templates from here and FTP them back to the forum. Delete the antispam mod folder from the admin/mod area. Then put it back and start again. This time I will follow the download install area more closely.

Files Edited: 12
admin/admin_users.php
includes/constants.php
includes/functions.php
includes/functions_post.php
includes/usercp_register.php
memberlist.php
posting.php
profile.php
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/overall_footer.tpl
templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

You have antispam installed? Do you mean Anti-Spam ACP 2.0.8 (or an older version) which you attempted to install? Simply antispam doesn't tell me much, since there are hundreds of other mods called antispam. ;)

If you are not using the latest version (2.0.8) get that and do the pre-modified install. You do not have to make any file changes, just upload some files.
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/phpBB3/vi ... p?f=25&t=4
phpquestions

Post by phpquestions »

Yes I am trying to install the latest version. Trying to use EasyMOD. Is this the fix you suggest. Can you confirm the steps to install the suggested Anti-Spam_ACP_pre-modified.mod Not real clear from the read me area.

Currently in the folders for the forum are: inside the admin/mods folder is the Anti-Spam_ACP_208 folder. As instructed the first try, I aslo put the Anti-Spam_ACP.mod file in the admin/mods/Anti-Spam_ACP_208 folder the first time and then used easyMOD. That is when I didn't download the changed files from EasyMOD as previously mentioned. I assume then to FTP back the files to the correct locations on the forum.

With the previous admin/mods/Anti-Spam_ACP_208 folder as outlined above, I tried just adding the Anti-Spam_ACP_pre-modified.mod file to the folder. On the fourm I went to install with easyMOD. Anti-Spam_ACP_pre-modified.mod shows as a possible install. When I proceed to the next step of preview / process it shows no list of any files to modify??????
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

The instructions are in contrib/Anti-Spam_ACP_pre-modified.mod

;)
phpquestions

Post by phpquestions »

so another late night but got this going. For me not being an expert, the Instructions were not real clear. Simply FTP the files to the correct location is easier to understand. This method copying the files, did not use the EasyMOD??????

I noticed it added an option to delete users in the management area of ADMIN CPanel. It added the options to delete there posts. That does not seem to work. The users name is shows no longer active in the posts after the user is deleted. Not deleteing the posts.

Seems to be helping in other ways. Thnsk for some relief with the help of this program. I did notice it left the option to add a URL to the signature area though. Might be nice to hide that for the predetermind posts set in ANTIspam
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

It sounds to me like you are not doing things correctly at all...

:|

What have you done to get where you are right now?
quahappy
Former Team Member
Name: Andy Green

Post by quahappy »

EXreaction wrote: This mod does not block ANY IP addresses.

Perhaps you are in the wrong thread?

Ever had one of those days? This was one of 'em.

Please totally disregard that post. I had been misinformed by "someone" who claimed the Anti-Spam ACP was to good and blocking blacklisted IP's - I know now this totally untrue (that Anti-Spam ACP doesn't block addresses!). Basically there has been issues with members with dynamic IP's having access problems to my website.

I have since reinstalled the latest Anti-Spam ACP because it stops so much crap, and issues with members that had problems now seem to be sorted. Bascially because two were AOL users - and there is nothing I can do to help them. Another two has recently moved house and general Internet problems, and finally another is in process of switching IP....

... I know this now, but they all kept pointing the finger at my website as they supposedly had no problems accessing other websites! I'm with an excellent webhost of which I've never experienced downtime. So crossed wires all over the place. I had even toyed with the idea of reinstalling phpBB at one stage or switching to another forum software. No way.

Long and short of it is, dynamic IP users, especially AOL, will always have problems. Only two options - switch provider or use a third-party proxy server website. I certainly don't intend to reduce the phpBB IP session (whatever it is called) management to 4 digits and run the risk of hijacking.

Carry on with the excellent work EXreaction!

** Shuffles of in embarrassment ***
If you don't ask.....
divinewrite

Post by divinewrite »

EXreaction wrote: Yes, you could uninstall the hide zero posters mod, then run the 1.1.02 to 2.0.8 upgrade file again with easymod(I am assuming you didn't try to upgrade to 2.0.8 by removing that part of the install instructions and you are still running 1.1.02, correct?)

Looks like uninstalling a mod is a little more difficult than I thought. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do this at the moment, so I think I'll stick to the old version of AntiSPAM ACP. Thanks for your hlpe anyway, EXreaction.

Cheers.
ReneVeerman

Post by ReneVeerman »

I can't get the "better captcha" to work...

When i select 'demo', i get:

The image “http://mysite.com/phpBB/includes/usercp ... &captcha=1” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I've tried digging in the source, but phpbb's errorhandling is a bit cryptic and hard to get to imo..
Please help, i need this captcha to keep spammers out of my forum...

I installed (today) using the latest versions of EasyMod and AntiSpam ACP
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

It seems to be a semi-common problem.

The only known causes of it not working are:

Corrupt font files
GD or FreeType are not installed
Cunjo

Post by Cunjo »

hmm, sorry if this is kinda offtopic or the wrong place to post this, but...

I just installed this MOD, and now I notice it doesn't have the option to automatically IP ban offending registrants... when I read and bookmarked this MOD before, I thought it had such functionality, or am I thinking of a different MOD?

If said functionality can easily be added, could someone tell me how to do it, or if not, point me to the right MOD?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

This mod has never had the "feature" to auto-ban IP addresses.

Auto-banning IP addresses in this day where most users have dynamic IP addresses is simply foolish. Even if you ban X IP that person might have Y IP in a little while, or just can be using a Proxy. Plus then if X IP was banned and some other user ends up with X IP and tries to visit your site, what do you think will happen? Say good bye to another user. ;)
dvdd127

Post by dvdd127 »

We are experiencing a couple of issues with this MOD.

First we have a few new users who have been emailing us saying that when they try to sign up they get the following error:

Code: Select all

Information

Are you an automated spam-bot? If not, please contact the Board Administrator.
Second we have it set so that the signature box should not show up on registration yet..it still shows up. We do have the Signatures control MOD installed and I am sure that is interfering with this mod but need both MODs to be installed.
dvdd127

Post by dvdd127 »

Ok, I fixed the second problem... thanks to this post by bgunn

Still looking for help with the error on sign up though.

thanks in advance
/DD
dvdd127

Post by dvdd127 »

Then again, I think fixing the second issue might have also fixed the first issue too. Since the Sig box was not supposed to be there the MOD was prolly just doing what it should. It seems that the users who were having issues signing up were filling out the Signature field... which was not supposed to be there. which means the users must have been filling it out on registration which would lead to the error message.

Does that make any sense.. and is my line of thinking correct??
/DD

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”