[20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
19%
Good
3%
Fair
3%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 74

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: [20/11/06] Anti-Spam ACP

Post by EXreaction »

Have EasyMod reload the backups and try re-installing.
justgetitoverwith

Post by justgetitoverwith »

Hi there - I just installed this mod via EasyMod (which I also just installed for this purpose - no other mods exist). The install and everything went fine...however, the Captcha image refuses to show. Have deleted/re-uploaded the font files many times, and tried different CHMOD levels on that directory up to 777 to no avail. Please help!
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Try uploading a single font (and delete all the others in that folder).

Make sure you are uploading in Binary mode.
justgetitoverwith

Yup - did that too, as was noted in the ReadMe file.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Then I guess you will just need to use the older captcha...

I haven't ever found out the reason why the captcha doesn't work for some people...
justgetitoverwith

...how do I do that? And will that defeat the purpose of ACP in the first place, or does it not really matter?

<edit> Sorry, stupid question - I see the option in the CP. But, still curious as to how much the new captcha has to do with keeping bots out...?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

justgetitoverwith wrote:...how do I do that? And will that defeat the purpose of ACP in the first place, or does it not really matter?

<edit> Sorry, stupid question - I see the option in the CP. But, still curious as to how much the new captcha has to do with keeping bots out...?
Using the older captcha won't give you as much protection against bots, but the older captcha was slightly modified with this mod so that the amount of chars in the captcha was more random, which will help a little. And if you have URL posting control on or other protection on the profile fields you should be able to keep the spam out anyways.
justgetitoverwith

Hmmm...well, I already got and deleted a spambot again.

I went looking for Confusabot, but then found some notes here in the forums that it isn't all that effective anymore either.

What would be the *best* thing I could do at this point to allow user activation without letting the spambots in?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

You sure it was a spam bot?

As long as you have URL posting control enabled so the users first post cant have any links in, and you set all fields execpt 1 to not allowed until they have 1 post (or more), then set the other one of your choice to required (I prefer to set Location to required), you should not get any real spam at all.
elVyse

Post by elVyse »

I would like to use the visual confirmation only on the registration page and not on the posting page.
Would removing the mod code from posting.php and posting_body.tpl be enough to do that?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

elVyse wrote:I would like to use the visual confirmation only on the registration page and not on the posting page.
Would removing the mod code from posting.php and posting_body.tpl be enough to do that?
There is an option in the AdminCP to turn it off. ;)
elVyse

Post by elVyse »

I did see an option to turn off the visual confirmation, but when I tried it it turned it off everywhere. What I would like is to have have the visual confirmation only on the registration page. Or maybe am I missing something. Erf I hope I didn't forget to install something on the admin panel ;-)
NoDeity
Name: Brad Reddekopp

Post by NoDeity »

EXreaction wrote:
NoDeity wrote:Will there be a version for phpBB 3.x?
No.
Is that because phpBB 3.x already has the functionality of Anti-Spam ACP built in?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

elVyse wrote:I did see an option to turn off the visual confirmation, but when I tried it it turned it off everywhere. What I would like is to have have the visual confirmation only on the registration page. Or maybe am I missing something. Erf I hope I didn't forget to install something on the admin panel ;-)
Hmm, that is strange. I checked on my demo forums and it seems that the option is no longer there. I wonder if I accidentally removed the option or if I ever had the option to turn it off for posting.

Yes, to remove the captcha from that page just remove the code from posting.php and posting_body.tpl.

Sorry about that.
NoDeity wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
NoDeity wrote:Will there be a version for phpBB 3.x?
No.
Is that because phpBB 3.x already has the functionality of Anti-Spam ACP built in?
phpBB3 has some functionality included that Anti-Spam ACP has, so that is the main reason I will not be making a mod for it for the time being. Possibly sometime in the future however.
Wirehead

Post by Wirehead »

I've just installed this manually, and when I click on the Admin control panel for it, I get the following error:

Template->make_filename(): Error - file admin/anti_spam_acp_body.tpl does not exist

I'm a complete noob in dealing with anything to do with PHPBB, so... I imagine I did something wrong, but I don't know enough to guess what.

Any ideas?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”