[14/12/06] Textual Confirmation

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
82%
Very Good
12%
Good
2%
Fair
1%
Poor
3%

Total votes: 144

PaulSwearingen

Re: [14/12/06] Textual Confirmation

Post by PaulSwearingen »

I need a little help and direction here, please. I got as far as the eighth page in this thread and gave up. Here's the deal. I've sort of inherited the position of site administrator of a phpBB site after others who set up and modded it crashed and burned. I don't have full access to the site to be able to make mods, and although the anti-spam textual confirmation mod apparently was added at some point, it isn't activated - although a question and answer are posted, I can do a test registration with the wrong answer and still get a new registration. And so can the 40-50 bots per day, although at least their preliminary regs do not show on the front page.

Where can I go on this site to find some activation instructions to pass along to the person who supposedly has full access to the site and can make mods? I have a feeling that he has no idea of what to do and will have to prevail on the site owner to make changes, or me, if he decides to accord me full privileges so that I can do what I feel we need to do to protect ourselves and eventually upgrade to phpBB3 (we're stuck at 2.0.13 now).

Since we're a small site - about 150 members - I'll have no problem in activating valid registrations, one by one, and I doubt that we'll need to add any mods, other than a few textual changes from time to time, so once I get things upgraded, I should be on solid ground. I've trolled through other threads here and have picked up enough to feel confident that I can learn to install new software ... but until I can get rid of the spamregs, I won't have enough time to spend on studying.

So ... any links that anyone can post would be greatly appreciated.
steephyn

Post by steephyn »

Hi,

There is no activation necessary. If you see the question come up while registering, you're good.

I bet the reason it doesn't work is the same reason it didn't work for me (see previous post). I made, what is apparently, a very common mistake. Give the person with access this link to see if this will fix the problem: http://bbantispam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181

Steve
PaulSwearingen

Post by PaulSwearingen »

Steve - I'll do that and let the forum know if all is well after he takes care of the problem. Thanks!
PaulSwearingen

Post by PaulSwearingen »

Sign me up for your fan club, steephyn. The code on our site was exactly wrong as you described, and the change worked - or at least since our administrator corrected the code, we've had ZERO spamregs (in 3 hours), I've had an hour per day added back into my life, and I can die happy knowing that I've deprived spamscum another venue for their sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, and money laundering schemes. Bravo!
steephyn

Post by steephyn »

Wahoo! Cheers to dieing happy ;)
- Steephyn

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”