Categories Hierarchy

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
72%
Very Good
13%
Good
5%
Fair
1%
Poor
9%

Total votes: 78

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Categories Hierarchy

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: Categories Hierarchy
Author: Ptirhiik
Modification description: Categories Hierarchy is a quite large modification to phpBB, designed to add many features, the main being sub-forums management ability.
  • Here is a non-exhaustive list of the features coming with CH 2.1.0 :
  • sub-forums,
  • forum link type,
  • forums icons, navigation icons,
  • style (template and/or sub-template) per forum,
  • default topic sort per forum, more sort available too,
  • a new forum administration, much more friendly,
  • a new authorisations management, very powerfull,
  • custom presets (you know, "private", "public", etc.) for permissions,
  • favorite icons (in browser favorites),
  • last topic title on index (inspired by e-Sven),
  • today/yesterday dates (based on Netclectic's today at/yesterday at),
  • Fix message_die() error message mod by Markus Petrux,
  • board announcement,
  • announces duration,
  • messages icons,
  • keep unread topics flags,
  • page generation time and sql requests list (when activated),
Modification version: 2.1.6
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: mod-CH_216.zip
File size: 1009653 Bytes

Due to the size of this MOD and in the best interest of the community, we the MOD Team have decided not to do the security audit that we normally do on this MOD. We have not checked for security exploits but it has pass our automated tools which check for minor problems. Ptrihiik has proven to be a very responsible and trustworthy author. We feel very comfortable making this one-time exception of approving this MOD without a security audit.

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. category
    1. Add-Ons
  2. phpbb
    1. 2.0.22
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
The MOD adds many new features to your board most noteable the ability to create sub forums.
Eric
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Status

Latest stable version : CH 2.1.6g for phpBB 2.0.22 - status : downloadable @ demo board

Fix to apply on CH 2.1.6g: magic url/emails not parsed in messages.

Important notice
  • CH is not designed to be other mods friendly. Most mods (not to say all) written for vanilla phpBB will require to be reviewed to work properly onto CH. Sometime it is easy (ie bbcodes), sometime it is harder. Topic Calendar and Attachment are plug-ins for CH: check at the demo board, download page, goodies & tools.
    On a side note, CH implements a lot of facilities for mod authors willing to desgined their mod onto CH.
  • CH is not easyMOD friendly. Though it can be installed with easyMOD on a vanilla phpBB (minus the easyMOD copy bugs on LINUX systems), this is absolutly not the recommanded way. Prefer the usage of the "installed" pack.

FAQ
  • "Wow ! Two hours ! 8O "
    An "installed" pack is available here, and some goodies too :). Please be sure to read the readme.txt for the "installed" pack, and the mod install description for the regular mod : remember some very important informations are present in,
  • "I'm lost, users don't see forums, I don't know how to set the whole thing"
    Stevec4 has write an excellent documentation about the auths settings (and more) you can find here
  • "I have a previous version 1.x or 2.0.x : how to upgrade to this one ?"
    There is no upgrade script, due to the deepness of this mod : you've got a very low chance to succeed in an upgrade if you have other mod onto your board : best is to restart for the phps and tpls from the vanilia phpBB/original template you use, and to install on it the mod (or use the "installed" pack), and to reapply one by one, with the relevant tests between each, your other mod. Note the data will of course remain. I had a very long thought about this (and indeed wrote the upgrade description(s)), and it is definitively the best option.
  • "Is there any mods adapted to work with CH ?"
    Yes : at this time, you will find them at the demo board, contribution forum, my hope being the adaptation authors will submit them here at phpBB.com, with the agreement of the original authors of course. You can also find some "goodies" (eg modifications designed for CH only) at the download page.
  • "Internationalization language and pics ?"
    French and German packs are already available. To submit another language, just check the content of the packs (what files are required), and post a link onto this topic to yours. If you have got some problems with the pics, just post the txt content of the pic, I will redraw them (hoping I have all the chars for some languages in my fonts :)).
  • "I don't want to use subSilver !"
    Cr@ters has done quite a lot of adaptations for CH 2.1.x you can find here and at his site. Be sure to browse them ! :)
  • "Will I be able to upgrade to Olympus ?"
    When Olympus will be gold, I will provide some scripts to upgrade from phpBB 2 + CH 2.1.x to Olympus.

How to use the "installed" pack
  • ensure you are using the lower user_id being an administrator,

uploading...
  • delete from your phpBB directory all files except config.php and the images/ directory,
  • upload the full content of the installed zip pack in place,
  • apply CHMOD 777 with your ftp client onto the cache/ directory,

finalizing...
  • hit the board index, and follow the instructions.

*some technical tips*
    - list of topics is builded using class_topics.php
  • switch structure of index_body.tpl

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN indexrow -->
    	<!-- BEGIN header -->
    	<!-- END header -->

<!-- BEGIN cat -->
    		<!-- BEGIN header -->
    		<!-- END header -->

<!-- BEGIN row -->
    		<!-- END row -->

<!-- BEGIN footer -->
    		<!-- END footer -->
    	<!-- END cat -->

<!-- BEGIN forum -->
    		<!-- BEGIN header -->
    		<!-- END header -->

<!-- BEGIN row -->
    		<!-- END row -->

<!-- BEGIN footer -->
    		<!-- END footer -->
    	<!-- END forum -->

<!-- BEGIN link -->
    		<!-- BEGIN header -->
    		<!-- END header -->

<!-- BEGIN row -->
    		<!-- END row -->

<!-- BEGIN footer -->
    		<!-- END footer -->
    	<!-- END link -->

<!-- BEGIN footer -->
    	<!-- END footer -->
    <!-- END indexrow -->
    Note also the tpl field names change according to the nested level they stand in.
Last edited by Ptirhiik on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
mara7

Post by mara7 »

N!ce Mod ..

This is one of the most important feature in any forum ..

I like Ptirhiik's mods 8) ..
"Will I be able to upgrade to Olympus ?"
When Olympus will be gold, I will provide some scripts to upgrade from phpBB 2 + CH 2.1.x to Olympus.

Good luck :D

I have many hacks installed in my forum and the bad point in this mod the time to install it :cry: ..

So I can't use the installed pack :( ..

but also this mod is the best :wink: ..

Good job .. :oops:
clapton

Post by clapton »

I'm installing this mod and EASYMOD is having some problems - it has done quite a lot of the modifications but now ut's asking me to modify things by myself.

I've just done the functions.php modifications and when I go back to easymod I get this message on a blank page:

Template->make_filename(): Error - file admin/page_header.tpl does not exist

Please help!
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Answer is: do not use easyMOD, use the "installed" pack.
BetaDevil

Post by BetaDevil »

and what if you have installed extra mods on the forum?
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

They won't probably work with CH as-is, so need to be reviewed, and at least re-installed over once correctly tested.
mhmdkhamis

Post by mhmdkhamis »

very good thank u
allanhardy

Post by allanhardy »

If anyone has any insights of this working with Attachment Mod and the Profile Control Panel Mod Id be keen to know.

I assume from the above that this would be installed first (since its not exMod) and then the others?

Update
- I see that the PCP mod is not longer supported by author (finaly fessed up :) ) the note says 'much' of it is in the CH mod.

Is there any rough description of how much PCP functionality my users will loose if I go to CH?
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

You can test this by yourself : donwload and install wampserver : this will install a php/mysql/apache on your local pc onto windows, then install a phpBB 2.0.22, then download the CH 2.1.6d "installed" pack and follow the readme.txt. Once done, download the goody "attachment for CH" (available at the demo board download page), and install it too (it is a plug-ins, you have just some files to upload). You will so have CH + attachment for CH testable onto your pc.
Texuga

Post by Texuga »

From the list of the features coming with CH 2.1.0, for example, I already have "the last topic title on index". I don't know if I have any other features included in this mod.
Is there any problem or conflit when installing this mod?

Thanks

Xuga
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Probably not if you are using the "installed" pack (this will remove from the code any mod): you could have conflict if the database handle a same field name with a different description, that's the only case I can see. But as mentioned on my previous post, the key is to build a local test environment, restoring on your pc your live database and your board ftp content, and to install CH onto this test environment and to perform the appropriate checks. It is also a very good way to learn what CH is and what you can do with.
r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

I installed this mod with Easymod and I did some things manually and deleted the step from the mod.txt... It took like 15 minutes. But I didnt do the DIY renaming of files, but it seems not to matter, so whatever :)

I really like this mod, but it made some of my mods unusable (e.g. extended color rank, banner change, admin user list). And when I try to view a profile, it says: Fatal error: Call to undefined function display_upload_attach_box_limits() in ...\forum\includes\usercp_viewprofile.php on line 294

It would be very lovely, if you made the features installable one by one, or those which cant be separated together or so.
Acidify

Post by Acidify »

I dont really like this mod. It makes your forum incapable of using almost any other mods or themes. People are looking for subforums that dont have all the add ons. They want a subforum mods nicely coded like this one but easily works with other mods. All those addon makes it almost impossible. If someone wants a different administrative interface, then they would install it seperately. If someone wanted to diffent profile interface, then they would install it seperately. Better looks dont benefit a large community much which rely on certain mods.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”