Categories Hierarchy

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
72%
Very Good
13%
Good
5%
Fair
1%
Poor
9%

Total votes: 78

ccronpaul

Re: [19/02/07] Categories Hierarchy

Post by ccronpaul » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Are you saying a full back up of my entire site or just the forum from the forum cpanel? If so, my site cpanel does not use phpmyadmin it uses something else, is that ok?

ccronpaul

Post by ccronpaul » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 am

You know, I kept working on it on my other forum and had absolutely no success. I read the instructions closely but there are a few things I do not understand. If you can answer these questions it would be extremely helpful.
uploading...
------------
o delete from your phpBB directory all files except config.php, the images/ directory (and other upload-targeted directories),
which are "upload-targeted directories"? This confuses me, you want me to literally delete every file, is that correct?
o upload the content of the root/ directory (with the sub-directories) from the pack to your board root directory (where stands config.php),
There is an admin and cache folder. Do I add the folders to the root and replace what is there or add the files in the them to the already existing admin folder and then add the cache folder?
o apply CHMOD 777 with your ftp client onto the cache/ directory,
so CHMOD to 777 for the entire cache folder I just uploaded?
o hit the your board index, and follow the instructions.
So go to my forum main page and there should be some instructions? I have done many attempts on the above directions and I keep getting a screen showing all the folders and that is it.
The cookies settings must match your environement.
Haven't the slightest idea what that means. Can you put it in dummy terms?
Sorry for being such a pain, but this stuff is like a foreign language to me. Your help is very appreciated.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:23 am

To make a database backup, do not use the option within phpBB ACP: it can - and will - produce unusable backups. Use phpMyadmin, or whatever tool available at your host account cpanel (this is usually phpmyadmin: refer to your host faq, you will have probably some explanation on how to proceed).

As upload-targeted directories, I mean all directories that receive users files: images/avatars/ receives ie users uploaded avatars ; files/ ie receives users attached files if you have attachmod installed on your phpBB ; if you have a picture gallery where your users can upload pics, you will have another directory where are stored these pics. What is said in the readme is: delete all except these directories which are specific to your install, and config.php which contains the login to your database. What also answer to your second question: as you have all deleted except these upload directories and the config.php, you just have to copy the content of root/ to your board root directory, creating or recreating directories. The structure will be of course very similar to what you had prior the deletetion (not to say the same), as CH is built on phpBB.

Then, when going to your board root url, if you have just a list of files and directories, this means no index.php is found, so you have probably not uploaded correctly the content of the root/ directory of the pack, or not at the appropriate place: remember, you don't upload root/, but the whole content of root/ to the place where stands config.php on your ftp.

Cookie settings: at the install start, you will be asked to login, then you will have a form to fill with your server settings, with some propositions you can click to fill this form. The rules for the cookie settings are explained in the readme just after the line you've quoted. These are the rules applied to build the cookies settings proposition. Some documentation about cookies: http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/#3.

ccronpaul

Post by ccronpaul » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 am

There are two ways I think you may be describing so I will show exactly what I am doing below and if you can clue me in to what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

So when I am looking at my forum root directory at ccronpaul2008.com/forum it looks like this....
admin Folder - added from the installed zip pack
cache foler- added from the installed zip pack and chmod to 777
images folder
config.php file
that is it? So when I go to my root folder which is ccronpaul2008.com/forum I get a bunch of folders and the config file just like what you see above.

Then I do it like this. root directory looks like this
Cach Folder- added from installed zip pack and chmod to 777
images folder
and then all the files in the admin folder from the installed zip pack as well as the config.php
I get this...
Warning: main(./../admin/pagestart.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rooted/public_html/ccronpaul2008/forum/index.php on line 20

Warning: main(./../admin/pagestart.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rooted/public_html/ccronpaul2008/forum/index.php on line 20

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required './../admin/pagestart.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/rooted/public_html/ccronpaul2008/forum/index.php on line 20
I am using the zip pack.........Categories Hierarchy v 2.1.6 - Installed on phpBB 2.0.22

So I am sure I am doing a lot wrong but I am following your instruction the best way I know how. Hope this info helps find where my errors are.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:12 am

This is not correct: at root of your board directory (so forum/), you should have at the whole content of the root/ directory of the pack, plus config.php, all coming from the pack, except images/avatars/ content which will belong to your phpBB installation (remember, this one is not to be deleted when you cleared your ftp), so:
  • admin/
  • cache/
  • db/
  • images/
  • includes/
  • language/
  • templates/
  • common.php
  • config.php
  • extension.inc
  • faq.php
  • groupcp.php
  • index.php
  • login.php
  • memberlist.php,
  • modcp.php,
  • posting.php,
  • privmsg.php,
  • profile.php,
  • search.php,
  • usercp.php,
  • viewonline.php,
  • viewtopic.php
Note also each directory is full of files and sub-directories.

rp_024

Post by rp_024 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:15 pm

I have pseudo sub forums installed on my forum. Will this work over top, and will it work with easymod?

Thanks, looks great.
ut

***EDIT....So I dl'd devside wamp and installed, then 2.0.22 then this mod. Everything looks fantastic. Now I'd like to do my web board but I'd like to use the existing mysql db. Can I do this? WIll it work if I reinstall phpbb2 then select the sql db? Then install this? I really can't sit for 3 hours changing everything. If not oh well. Please advise.

ccronpaul

Post by ccronpaul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:44 am

Ok, i added the two folders in the root folder (admin/ and cache/) to the root directory (forum/ ) selected to overwrite

Then I went to /forum/index.php and everything looked the same.
I posted a test topic to see if it would work and it did.
Then I went to the admin cpanel and I got this error
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _read() in /home/rooted/public_html/ccronpaul2008/forum/admin/index.php on line 25
Did I load something wrong?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:43 am

> ccronpaul: IMHO, you have not listen to all I wrote, here and the readme.txt. Really, do what is written in the readme.txt, eg get the "installed" pack, do the backups (I hope you have at least done them), ftp clear, then upload of the root/ content. The error you are reporting prooves you didn't upload certain files, and the way you describe your upload (eg "I added the two folders...") is a no-no: you have to first delete all except the users files directories, then to upload the new files and directory, eg the whole content of root/.

ccronpaul

Post by ccronpaul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 am

I have to appologize. I was so confused because the unzip software I was using for some reason would not unzip the whole file. So when I checked the root/ folder it only had admin/ and cache/. I was like tripping out that you were saying the "whole root file" and I was thinking, what whole root file. you mean those two folders. hehe. Anyways, I used another program to unzip and there they were. Now it is loaded and it is a beautiful mod. Thanks for your help.

rp_024

Post by rp_024 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 am

Ptirhiik wrote:> ccronpaul: IMHO, you have not listen to all I wrote, here and the readme.txt. Really, do what is written in the readme.txt, eg get the "installed" pack, do the backups (I hope you have at least done them), ftp clear, then upload of the root/ content. The error you are reporting prooves you didn't upload certain files, and the way you describe your upload (eg "I added the two folders...") is a no-no: you have to first delete all except the users files directories, then to upload the new files and directory, eg the whole content of root/.
Ok, so I installed locally just for testing, however, I did a fresh install. Is there a way to integrate w/out having to do a fresh install? I only have a total of about 1,000 posts on my forum, but I'd like to keep them and not have to start over. I love the mod looks though.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:16 am

As long as you have your phpBB uptodate, you just have to replace the files (always the same process: backups, clear ftp except config.php and users files like avatars, then upload of the "installed" root/ directory content, and do the CHMOD 777 of cache/ directory). The installer identifies this is a new install of the mod or an upgrade, and process the data to match its requirements automaticaly.

> ccronpaul: this was actually my next step: ensure you have the appropriate tools :) (unzipper, ftp client, database manager)

rp_024

Post by rp_024 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:42 am

Ptirhiik wrote:As long as you have your phpBB uptodate, you just have to replace the files (always the same process: backups, clear ftp except config.php and users files like avatars, then upload of the "installed" root/ directory content, and do the CHMOD 777 of cache/ directory). The installer identifies this is a new install of the mod or an upgrade, and process the data to match its requirements automaticaly.
Ok, cool. I host my sites on my own server so ftp isn't necessary. Basically I follow the same steps as the "installed" version? I'm going to install the crescent moon version. I've already backed up the phpBB2 directory. I'll keep the config.php file and images folder and copy over the rest? What is the chmod 777 part? When I installed fresh on my test server everything worked in the admin panel and in the test forum. is this another admin utility?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Prior copying, you have to clear the ftp except from config.php & users files. CHMOD 777 has to be applied on cache/ and images/avatars (it should already be done for this last one) to allow the scripts to create files in.

rp_024

Post by rp_024 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 am

Ptirhiik wrote:Prior copying, you have to clear the ftp except from config.php & users files. CHMOD 777 has to be applied on cache/ and images/avatars (it should already be done for this last one) to allow the scripts to create files in.
Installed, working. No issues. Awesome, absolutely awesome. Almost like every option I wanted rolled into one.

Great JOB! :!: :mrgreen:

rp_024

Post by rp_024 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Anybody know if this is default or if it's possible to hide the other category's besides the registration?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”