security_question

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

security_question

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: security_question
Author: James N
Modification description: The mod asks a question that requires human thought to be put in to the answer. Both question and answer are configerable from the ACP. In addition the 'public profile' fields are hidded during registration to stop human spammers who never intend to confirm their membership leaving spam URL's
Modification version: 1.1.0
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: security_question_1.1.0.zip
File size: 2636 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. Category
    1. Security
  2. phpBB
    1. 2.0.22
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

security_question

Post by Paul »

Modification validated/released

Notes:
James N

Re: security_question

Post by James N »

Thanks for validating my first MOD.

Version 1.1.0 I have now made it so that the answer NOT case sensitive. The 'wrong answer' redirect is now more user friendly.

Fully compatible with 2.0.23

No dem, but the screen shots say it all anyway.

First EDIT:- Added errata
Second EDIT:- Removed errata, added 1.0.1 notes
Third EDIT:- Added 1.1.0 notes
Fourth EDIT:- Confirmed 2.0.23 compatability
Last edited by James N on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
James N

Post by James N »

FAQ

Taken from all the questions that were asked on my thread in 'Mods in Development'

~~~~~

Q Will this MOD install with EasyMod ?
A Yes

~~~~~

Q How do I read the MOD file?
A Right click, and open it in any text editor

~~~~~

Q What files do I edit to do this?

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('securityquestion','How many days in a year?');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('securityanswer','365');
A Go to your php myadmin. Most likely http://www.yoursitename.com/forum/myadmin
Enter your SQL user name and password.
Select your database from the drop down menu on the left. Then just click the SQL tab. Then you will get an empty SQL query window.
Cut and paste

INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('securityquestion','How many days in a year?');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('securityanswer','365');
in to the window,
press go.
If you click on phpbb_config and browse through it, on the last page you will see the new rows in alphabetical order. Then just log out.

If you are still having problems, then use the database update file included in the contrib folder

~~~~~

Q The question and answer fields are empty in the ACP. What do I do?
A See answer above

~~~~~

Q Will this MOD work with styles other than subSilver?
A Yes, just do the same edits to admin/board_config_body.tpl and profile_add_body.tpl in the style(s) you want as are listed to edit in the subSilver files.

~~~~~

Q What versions of phpBB will it work on?
A I have only tested it on 2.0.21 and later. It should work on earlier versions, but you are better off up dating your forum first, then install this MOD

~~~~~

Q Known Conflicts

A If you have a MOD that alters the profile feilds it MAY conflict with this MOD. If you find that it does, then omit the following code when installing the MOD

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
      <textarea name="signature" style="width: 300px" rows="6" cols="30" class="post">{SIGNATURE}</textarea>
     </td>
   </tr>

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->
The MOD will still work, but the profile fields will not be hidden on registration.

~~~~~

DIY Instructions

Once you have installed the MOD and checked its working, you MUST change the question and answer to something unique. Some of the Spambots seem to be programmed with the default answer now. Making your site different is the way to prevent them joining.

~~~~~

Support

This forum will be locked in February. If you need help after that time, please Contact me

Many thanks

~~~~~

First EDIT:- Added SQL download
Second EDIT:- Added Known Conflicts
Third EDIT:- Added DIY
Fourth EDIT:- Added Support Note
Fifth EDIT:- Changed database update info
Last edited by James N on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
gtapley

Critical Error installing security_question mod with EasyMOD

Post by gtapley »

Here is the error I received when trying to install this mod:
Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [language/lang_english/lang_admin.php] could not find:

//
// That's all Folks!
// -------------------------------------------------

MOD script line #146 :: FAQ :: Report
I could be mistaken, but this looks like there was a cutesy tag added to the end of the script.

How can I fix this?

Glenn

PS - I have had this identical problem with a couple of scripts...
gtapley

Re: Critical Error installing security_question mod with EasyMOD

Post by gtapley »

Never mind - I fixed it!

An earlier modification had inserted several lines between:
//
// That's all Folks!
and
I moved the
up and now everything works!

I have always thought of myself as a phpBB clueless newbie, but I guess there is hope for me yet!

The mod that inserted code in the middle was the Copyright Information MOD.

Now, if I can just find the mods that would not install earlier...

Glenn
James N

Post by James N »

:D Glad you sorted it
runegirlie

Post by runegirlie »

Looks like a fabulous mod .. question: I already have a security mod installed that deals with the profile fields. How can this be modified to only perform the security question portion?
James N

Post by James N »

If you ignore lines 215 - 228 of my MOD then the profile fields will be left alone, but the rest will install and work as described
WRCNO1

Post by WRCNO1 »

Hello i used EasyMod. I tried to install this mod and on the Step 2 it says: Fatal error: Class 'sql_builder' not found in /home/vcv/public_html/forum/includes/sql/sql_builder_mysql.php on line 18 .... how can i fix this? Thank you.
TCB2

Post by TCB2 »

Greetings:

This is only the third mod I have installed but the others were successful first try. However, as I was testing this mod, I got this error message after clicking the COPPA link:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/XXXXX/public_html/forum/phpBB2/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 310

This is especially puzzling since this wasn't one of the files modified during installation. But just in case, I upoloaded a fresh copy of /phpBB2/includes/template.php, but to no avail.

Can someone help me with what my next step needs to be? Thanks.
James N

Post by James N »

WRCNO1 wrote:Hello i used EasyMod. I tried to install this mod and on the Step 2 it says: Fatal error: Class 'sql_builder' not found in /home/vcv/public_html/forum/includes/sql/sql_builder_mysql.php on line 18 .... how can i fix this? Thank you.
I am no expert on easymod but I think it is having trouble executing the SQL this MOD needs.

You might have tyo ask on the easymod thread on how to resolve this. Sorry
James N

Post by James N »

TCB2 wrote:Greetings:

This is only the third mod I have installed but the others were successful first try. However, as I was testing this mod, I got this error message after clicking the COPPA link:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/XXXXX/public_html/forum/phpBB2/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 310

This is especially puzzling since this wasn't one of the files modified during installation. But just in case, I upoloaded a fresh copy of /phpBB2/includes/template.php, but to no avail.

Can someone help me with what my next step needs to be? Thanks.
Have you checked your file edits? Otherwise I suspect there is a clash between this MOD and the others you have installed. What are they?
TCB2

Post by TCB2 »

Thank you, James N. Yes, I have checked the edits and can't find anything. The only other MOD I currently have installed is Active Members Only.
James N

Post by James N »

It is a clash between the two MODs, and as they both edit around the signature area of the profile_add_body.tpl I dont think you can make them work together in their complete form. If however you delete the following from my MOD it should install OK although the profile fields will still be visible on registration.

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
      <textarea name="signature" style="width: 300px" rows="6" cols="30" class="post">{SIGNATURE}</textarea>
     </td>
   </tr>

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”