[2.0.18] Cash Mod

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
66%
Very Good
15%
Good
8%
Fair
2%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 1558

PsYpEr

Post by PsYpEr »

xore,

I'm not nagging or being impatient but I was just wondering if you have a timescale in mind for the next version of the cash mod.

I'm starting up a new forum in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if I could/should wait for the next release or not.
I know that there will be an upgrade file but I was just wondering so that I don't install the mod and the next day you release the next version :wink:
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

Q-Zar wrote: Did you read the installation file ? :roll:
-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------

There is an automatic sql installer that works currently for mysql and mssql.
It is necessary to copy the file sql_install.php to your main phpbb directory and run it from there
After that, you want to delete the file immediately.
Thanks for the help smartazz... gee this is a support forum :roll:
"Why am I fighting to live, if i'm living to fight?"
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Q-Zar

Post by Q-Zar »

Yes, but Xore and others sometimes get tired of repeating things over and over and over again (at the point of not reacting to those questions anymore), when the answer is in the installation file or included readme texts. Looking a bit for yourself helps you better in the long run. ;)
Traductions : Cash Mod v2.2.2 (Getting Started) / Dice Mod v1.2.3 / Activity Mod Plus 1.0.8
Remember this. Please read the F.A.Q/Troubleshooting of a mod before asking questions.
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

I read it and tried it again but for some reason I am not understanding how I am suppose to do this, in my admin section I still get this
Error retrieving cash data

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'lowente_phpb1.phpbb_cash' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM phpbb_cash ORDER BY cash_order ASC

Line : 657
File : /home/lowente/public_html/includes/functions_cash.php

Can someone please tell me what is wrong?
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

Q-Zar wrote: Yes, but Xore and others sometimes get tired of repeating things over and over and over again (at the point of not reacting to those questions anymore), when the answer is in the installation file or included readme texts. Looking a bit for yourself helps you better in the long run. ;)

Well I think Xore and the others can speak for themselves :wink: Also if you cannot understand what the readme files are saying that would not help much now would it? :roll: Perhaps you should leave the support assistance to the actual staff :D
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Q-Zar

Post by Q-Zar »

Deal ! No more replying a thousand times to answer the same questions ! Woohoo ! :lol:
Traductions : Cash Mod v2.2.2 (Getting Started) / Dice Mod v1.2.3 / Activity Mod Plus 1.0.8
Remember this. Please read the F.A.Q/Troubleshooting of a mod before asking questions.
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

Q-Zar wrote: Deal ! No more replying a thousand times to answer the same questions ! Woohoo ! :lol:

I am sure the world will be a much happier place now that you came to that revelation... :lol: ANYway... Can someone please help me with this please? I installed the file where it needs to be but I am not sure how to run it. Thanks so much
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore »

Splendifferous wrote: Thanks for the help smartazz... gee this is a support forum :roll:

Splendifferous: it does not do you much good to insult those who try to help you.
Splendifferous wrote: :roll: Perhaps you should leave the support assistance to the actual staff :D

I (informally) consider Q-Zar to be part of my staff
  • Some suggested reading: How to ask questions the smart way
  • I have this unfortunate habit of being polite to people who don't really deserve it.
  • I am about to be polite to you
In the nature of being polite, i will outline some things you may have missed.
  1. In the root of the zip file i provide, there is a file called README.txt
  2. This file has one purpose, and one purpose only
  3. It is there to be read by you
  4. It says (i quote)
  5. README.txt wrote: Hello.Please read this entire document. i'll try to keep it short, this is important stuff to know.

*cough*
  6. README.txt wrote: In order to install Cash Mod, 3 things are required:
    Edit various files
    Copy various files
    Run SQL queries

*cough*
  7. README.txt wrote: The SQL Queries that need to be run are
    1. listed in sql_220.txt, if you wish to run them manually.
    2. available in an automated sql installer which is provided.
      To use this,
      1. copy sql_install.php to your main ("root") phpBB directory
      2. load the page via your browser (you will be asked to log in if you have not already)
      3. delete the file.

*cough*
  8. README.txt wrote: Help is available for this mod, to the best of my abilities, on 2 conditions:
    1. You have read this readme file.
      Yes, it sounds redundant, but many people won't bother,
      i refuse to take time to help those people who don't take the time to help themselves
    2. You have read and followed the advice on the support and troubleshooting posts located:
      http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=94055#623226 and
      http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=94055#625402
      i will do my best to keep these updated. Only ask for help if your error is not here

*cough*
  9. README.txt wrote: Help requests that obviously fail these conditions will be ignored, or possibly deleted.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh. When in doubt, use your common sense. I know most of you will :-)
  10. Clearly, i've made a mistake in this statement
  11. I need to see something for my cough.
Thanks, Q-Zar, you tried, i appreciate it :-)
Camels in the Mist
<noise type="random" source="camel" />
Cash Mod
Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore »

PsYpEr wrote: xore,

I'm not nagging or being impatient but I was just wondering if you have a timescale in mind for the next version of the cash mod.

I'm starting up a new forum in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if I could/should wait for the next release or not.
I know that there will be an upgrade file but I was just wondering so that I don't install the mod and the next day you release the next version :wink:

I've got a couple benchmarks set for completing the next Cash Mod version.

Each benchmarks sees some sort of feature addition or specific code revision to fix problems in the previous version. Some of these benchmarks take a day, or an hour, but some of them take weeks, unfortunately. CM 2.3.5 took about a week, as did 2.3.6, and 2.3.7 might take a little longer as i am taking most of the code base and refactoring it for the purposes of
  • Making it run faster and more efficiently
  • Cutting down on unneeded sql queries
  • Removing "code stubs" ... stuff i thought would be useful later on, but really wasn't... this reduces the sheer volume of code, which hopefully should also speed things up as it takes less time for the interpretter to process it.
This is probably the biggest and most necessary update. After that, i'm going to be adding a few more features, and altering another. I've got 3 large homework assignments due tuesday, wednesday, and friday respectively, after which i intend to focus a lot of time into finishing 2.3.7, as well as getting a kick in on pseudocron for the cash-allowances plugin which i hope to have packaged with 2.4.0
I'd "like" to say i'll have this done inside of two weeks, but... somehow i doubt it, unfortunately.
However, i will be interested in releasing some betas (for completed 2.3.7 or later), for a select few. If all goes well, upgrading to full 2.4 from the betas should involve no database or code changes, just file updates for core cash mod files. I am currently not releasing betas (so don't ask ;-) ) ... but i will privately let people know when they are available

Cheers,
Xore
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

[quote=Xore]Splendifferous: it does not do you much good to insult those who try to help you.[/quote]

Well he needs learn how to help without the sarcasm and he did not help at all :roll:

Also, if you read any of my comments I said I have read those read me files but I do NOT know what the heck it means to run sql! Goodness I installed it where it is supposed to go and it still is not working! I tried it YOUR way and did not help! Can someone please give me some real help instead of taking shots at me??
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore »

Splendifferous wrote:
Xore wrote:Splendifferous: it does not do you much good to insult those who try to help you.

Well he learn how to help without the sarcasm and he did not help at all :roll:

Also, if you read any of my comments I said I have read those read me files but I do NOT know what the heck it means to run sql! Goodness I installed it where it is supposed to go and it still is not working! Can someone please give me some real help instead of taking shots at me??

I recommend you look at #7b closely.

I didn't fill the README.txt file with technical jargon to cause people's eyes to glaze over, it's pretty straight english. Additionally, it's very easy to do.

Is english not your first language? if so, i can understand why you may be having difficulties.
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

Xore wrote: I recommend you look at #7b closely.

I didn't fill the README.txt file with technical jargon to cause people's eyes to glaze over, it's pretty straight english. Additionally, it's very easy to do.

Is english not your first language? if so, i can understand why you may be having difficulties.

Goodness, I just asked for some help and you cannot even give me that, just a bunch arrogant nonsense. I read it and I did what it said and IT DOES NOT WORK! Can you just but aside your insults to help me out for a second? It's not like I am a pro at this or else I would not need to ask for help!
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore »

Splendifferous wrote:
Xore wrote:I recommend you look at #7b closely.

Goodness, I just asked for some help and you cannot even give me that, just a bunch arrogant nonsense. I read it and I did what it said and IT DOES NOT WORK! Can you just but aside your insults to help me out for a second? It's not like I am a pro at this or else I would not need to ask for help!

Ok. first of all, i'll step into your shoes.

You're kind of new to this, and you've run into a problem, and you're not sure how to fix it, and you're not sure where to look.

Next, step into my shoes.

I've had a lot of people (read: hundreds) in your position demanding help. Because of this, i've provided lots of documentation around the most common problems, an automated sql install process that lets you get everything installed in 2 seconds.

Despite this, i get a lot of people who just don't fucking bother to look up the help i provide them. If i get irritable, tis' because of this. "It doesn't work. Help me" ... once again, look at that suggested reading, you'll get people falling left and right to give you help, because you've given them a good reason to.

If you don't understand the README.txt, then tell me what you dont' understand about it, and i can fix it for the next version.

If something doesn't work, tell me what doesn't work, so i can fix it.

Prove to me that you've done the bare minimum to help yourself out with the help i've provided, and if that doesn't work, let me know, and then i know your problem is more advanced, and i'll help you fix it. When you say "i don't understand the readme" without specifying what you don't understand, what you're really telling me is "i haven't even bothered"

I may seem like a jackass, feel free to assume that i'm being a jerk because i am one. If that's the case, why have i been giving free support for, and authoring this free mod to hundreds of users for the space of more than a year? Call it arrogant nonsense, i guess.

Now, i don't believe i've insulted you. But, if i've said something about you that isn't true, that is negative, let me know, and i'll retract that statement and apologize to you.

If you want help, give us something to work with, and we will help you.
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod
Splendifferous

Post by Splendifferous »

Thank You. On the README file, I did not know what 'Run SQL queries' means but I when I read further about how to use the installer but I have no idea what the sql installer is. I keep reading and I did what it said which was:
1) copy sql_install.php to your main ("root") phpBB directory
2) load the page via your browser (you will be asked to log in if you have not already)
3) delete the file.

I load my site on the browser and I see nothing different... I am also using cPanel and I am not sure if that changes things or not... I go into the adminstration area and I receive this error on the side bar where the admin options would be
Error retrieving cash data

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'lowente_phpb1.phpbb_cash' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM phpbb_cash ORDER BY cash_order ASC

Line : 657
File : /home/lowente/public_html/includes/functions_cash.php

I have no idea what this is asking me to do and I am not sure how to fix it. If this sounds too vague I can try to explain it further.
(do not adopt Av & Sig)
Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore »

Splendifferous wrote: Thank You. On the README file, I did not know what 'Run SQL queries' means but I when I read further about how to use the installer but I have no idea what the sql installer is. I keep reading and I did what it said which was:
1) copy sql_install.php to your main ("root") phpBB directory
2) load the page via your browser (you will be asked to log in if you have not already)
3) delete the file.

I load my site on the browser and I see nothing different...

What explicitly happened when you did #2 ?
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”