[ABD] Moby Threads- Threaded phpBB!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
leokor

Post by leokor » Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:40 pm

Another question to consider is how to treat the 'reply' mode. For 'quote', the new message would have the quoted message for the parent. But with 'reply', what should the parent message be?

Should it be the topmost message in the thread? But if we're viewing it in the threaded mode, then only the current message is seen, therefore the user might think he's replying to that particular message. And if the 'reply' option starts behaving in the same way as 'quote' does (except for not quoting the message body), then what would the parent message be in the flat mode?

Leo

leokor

Post by leokor » Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:54 pm

leokor wrote: Another question to consider is how to treat the 'reply' mode. For 'quote', the new message would have the quoted message for the parent. But with 'reply', what should the parent message be?

Should it be the topmost message in the thread? But if we're viewing it in the threaded mode, then only the current message is seen, therefore the user might think he's replying to that particular message. And if the 'reply' option starts behaving in the same way as 'quote' does (except for not quoting the message body), then what would the parent message be in the flat mode?

Leo

Actually, 'reply' can have the topmost message in the thread as a parent. But perhaps, the "Reply" link and icon can be replaced with "Quote" when in the threaded mode.

Leo

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:57 am

Verteron wrote: Sounds very interesting. BTW - if you are using parent-id, then you can get the entire topic in one select. I'm not sure how many queries you're using at the moment for the actual threading, but I'm guessing one per 'identation level'. Try just grabbing everything then assembling the code into the thread levels using a recursive function, left joined to the posts_text table only where post_id is the one you're displaying.

It needs exactly one database query to obtain all the posts.

The actual threading code doesn't require any select statements. Actually, I need two loops:

The first one builds a list of "nodes". Each node corresponds to exactly one post and "knows" all necessary data about this specific post (post_id, number of children, indentation level and - most important - it holds a list of children id's.

The second loop outputs this list of nodes. Basically, I'am using a recursive function for this process, which calls itself for each child article of a given post (so each article actually outputs "itself" and then iterates over the list of children which again output themselves and so on...). That works really well and the code seems to be fast and efficient (maybe a bit tricky to read and understand, but that's another story :) ).

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:04 am

leokor wrote: Another question to consider is how to treat the 'reply' mode. For 'quote', the new message would have the quoted message for the parent. But with 'reply', what should the parent message be?

Leo

My solution:

a)
"Quote reply" should be clear. The quoted article becomes the parent.

b)
A "normal" reply does not get a parent id. If an article has no parent_id, the threading code assumes that it is a reply to the thread itself. Such replies will be attachted w/o a parent at the bottom of the thread.

c)
For the situation that someone wants to reply to an article w/o quoting it, I have intruduced a new "mini - reply" button in the postrow. This button sits next to the "quote" button in each postrow.

leokor

Done

Post by leokor » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:05 am

I have implemented it for my board. I had to disable the split-topic functionality, since I did not want my head to split for trying to tackle that nightmare. :) We never use that, anyway.

It probably wouldn't make my mod acceptable for the general public, but if anyone would want to work on split from this point on, I can put up the files for you.

I have also done away with the generic "Reply" button, leaving only the "Quote", because there is a potential for the users to confuse which post would be the parent when using "reply."

Leo

leokor

Post by leokor » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:19 am

Nightwish wrote: b)
A "normal" reply does not get a parent id. If an article has no parent_id, the threading code assumes that it is a reply to the thread itself. Such replies will be attachted w/o a parent at the bottom of the thread.

Personally, I don't like it. Too many cases! If reply, if quote... is the typical visitor to the board supposed to read the FAQ before posting? Hence, useability concerns.

My solution is to do away with straight reply altogether. Replacing it with a mini-reply is a good idea. But it is important that all replies (with quotes or without) go only to a specific post, never a "special case" of replying to a thread.

Leo

leokor

Post by leokor » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:46 pm

There is another annoying problem. Since only the topics are watched, there is no way to tell in the threaded display which posts are new and which have already been read.

Of course, it can be handled by the css style file, so the visited links show in a different color, for example. Still, it would be interesting to see how it can be done properly.

Leo

John-KiaX

Post by John-KiaX » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:31 pm

fusianuk

Post by fusianuk » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:53 pm

Hey,

I'm interested in using phpbb to replace a current phorum installation on a large site, I need the threaded view capability to be able to move away from phorum, can someone let me have a copy of the mod so that I can look into achieving this please?

I would be most grateful....

Regards & Thanx,

Ollie

PS. send the mod to oibbotson@freeuk.com if you can please.

Iron-Monkey

Post by Iron-Monkey » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:37 am

Is there something wrong with the download link? I cannot download it.

leokor

Post by leokor » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:12 am

fusianuk wrote: Hey,

I'm interested in using phpbb to replace a current phorum installation on a large site, I need the threaded view capability to be able to move away from phorum, can someone let me have a copy of the mod so that I can look into achieving this please?

I would be most grateful....

Regards & Thanx,

Ollie

PS. send the mod to oibbotson@freeuk.com if you can please.

Give me a few days. I gotta arranged it all into that template first...

Leo

jlbforever

Post by jlbforever » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:51 am

http://forums.maniacalrage.net/

Check out the threading on a small little forum I helped develop. The code is actually quite simple and no more than 75 lines of code and 4 functions.

There is one SQL call for the threading.
[ john barker
[ [url=mailto:john@defected.net]john at defected dot net[/url]

mozhawk

I saw your great work

Post by mozhawk » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:03 pm

on your threaded forum. Can you share with us your code? I do really need such a solution for our non-commercial forum. I will place a copyright issue if you wish.

Thanks a lot!

MozHawk

leokor

Re: I saw your great work

Post by leokor » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:21 am

mozhawk wrote: on your threaded forum. Can you share with us your code? I do really need such a solution for our non-commercial forum. I will place a copyright issue if you wish.

Thanks a lot!

MozHawk

Sorry for the delay. I'm getting ready my forum for production (and moving over from a totally different setup), so I'm inundated with urgent things to do. I will get to it a bit later, I promise.

Leo

mozhawk

Thanks!

Post by mozhawk » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:20 pm

leokor wrote:
mozhawk wrote:on your threaded forum. Can you share with us your code? I do really need such a solution for our non-commercial forum. I will place a copyright issue if you wish.

Thanks a lot!

MozHawk

Sorry for the delay. I'm getting ready my forum for production (and moving over from a totally different setup), so I'm inundated with urgent things to do. I will get to it a bit later, I promise.

Leo

I will be waiting for it and already thank you in advance. I am also finishing our forum but lacking that feature. Thanks a lot.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”