[MODDB] Advanced time management 2.0.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Dr DLP

Post by Dr DLP »

MrStormyNights you should check this article : http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=130
And if it doesn't work , this one : http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=25

But we should let -=ET=- make support for his mod :)
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Thanks Dr DLP for this help :)

I didn't know this issue, but I'm not sure MrStormyNights & carloclaessen's one is the same as it is not exactly the same error message, and at least for carloclaessen he had the error message only when the 5th or the 6th mode was choosen, so...

Perhaps the fix you point out can solve the issue with my MOD too as the too error message can have the same origin but it's not sure.

MrStormyNights> test the fix and tell us :)
Have you just "try" to disable GZip compression for 30s, just to know if it works without it?

DarkPepe> thanks once again, but "Do not include the word "MOD" in!" is still missing :wink:
Eternal newbie
MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

Dr DLP ?

As for the first link, that error is Not the same as what I am getting, but I have done that fix anyway as a speedup to the forum, and it is still happening, actually after I did that fix is when I noticed the error for the first time, and I had gunzip on before that. so I reverted it back and was still getting it, but i put on this fix and the advanced time management mod at the same time.

As for the table corruption?????? what leads you to say that. I only get this error usually when coming from my site main page to the forum, when I am cruising the forums I don't get it. I am not about to go repairing database tables just because you think its broke. Espeicially since I have no idea of your MySQL experience to make such a harsh statement.

And if I turn off gunzip it doenst happen, but like I said earlier I believe, i want gunzip enabled to save bandwidth.

Like I said not sure its this mod cuasing it, but when I searched there was a post here with the same error as me so I thought I would pipe up and say I am getting it too in case it was common to this mod.
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

MrStormyNights> #1 so you confirm that if you turn off GZip compression, the issue disapear?

#2 do you confirm too, that the issue only apear if you choose the 5th or the 6th mode in your profile, and on for the 1st page seen?

#3 which are the MOD you have installed?

#4 do you have a link to your forums (even by PM)?

#5 What are your php, apache and browser version?
Last edited by -=ET=- on Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eternal newbie
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Nice, I've just succeed to reproduce the issue on one of my forums.
So now I will be able to do tests and solve it :wink:
Eternal newbie
MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

gunzip off, I did not get the error.

I have the 5th option selected also, have not tried any other options.

as for the mods: (Fast and furious is the gunzip speedup)

http://runehq.com/TheInn/ is the link to the forum. I tweaked some php settings today in the php.ini and I have not seen the error lately, but not sure if its fixed or not. I was not getting it all the time and it would only put the error at the top of the page, it did not cause any problems with the forum really.

Here is the server info. It's a dedicated server P4 - 1.7 ghz, 512 meg of memory, leased from rackshack.net:

My home PC is Windows XP pro, IE 6.0 for browser.
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Thanks for all these information but at the present time have you disabled GZip compression?
I've gone to your board and don't have the issue :(
Eternal newbie
MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

nope, gunzip is still on? like I said I was playing with the php.ini today and tweaked a couple of things, but yea I haven't seen the error lately, maybe my tweaking helped.

Not that the stuff I did was that major, I just turned on error logging and directed it to the error log and change max size from 8 meg to 55 meg on one paramter.
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

MrStormyNights wrote: Not that the stuff I did was that major, I just turned on error logging and directed it to the error log and change max size from 8 meg to 55 meg on one paramter.

That's important!

Can you describe me exactly what you did (precise name of the parameters, and new value) to see if it works on my board, because I can't reproduce the error on one server, and I reproduce it on another.
So it's possible that a simple php parameter cause it.

Moreover, after some tests I found that the error appears only because of the "session_start();" lines in "page_header.php" and "functions.php" files add by my MOD to use session variables.

From the php documentation:
session_start() will register internal output handler for URL rewriting when trans-sid is enabled. If a user uses ob_gzhandler or like with ob_start(), the order of output handler is important for proper output. For example, user must register ob_gzhandler before session start.

So in "page_header.php" the lines the MOD add just before the GZip compression code must be placed just after ; and it works!

But I still need to fix the issue for the "session_start();" lines in "functions.php" as the create_date() function must be called before the GZip code in "page_header.php"... :wink:

Thanks for your help!
Eternal newbie
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

OK, here is some news.

At the present time I do not have a final fix for that issue. My choice are:
- to find how not to execute the session_start() in functions.php before the 1st ob_start(),
- or to use other variables than session ones to make session_start() lines useless and delete them.

Anyway, in the meantime I have a fix that works: just put an "@" before the 2 ob_start() in page_header.php:
-> @ob_start('ob_gzhandler');
-> @ob_start();

This will prevent to display the error message and as everything works perfectly even with this error (only on the 1st page seen, if GZip is enabled, and for the 5th or 6th mode)... :roll:

But I'm still working to find a final fix to avoid the error itself :)

P.S.: but MrStormyNights, tell me what you've done exactly. Perhaps it's another way :)
Eternal newbie
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

You can simply define a constant when doing your obstart(), and avoid to do your session_start() if the constant is not defined (except if the obstart() is not required by the board setting).
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: You can simply define a constant when doing your obstart(), and avoid to do your session_start() if the constant is not defined (except if the obstart() is not required by the board setting).

On the principle I agree Ptirhiik but despite what anyone can think, I was a REAL newbie in php/HTML in June and I'm still not far away from this starting point now.

In this context, one of my weak spot is precisely my knowledge of how variables works and once again I regret to have to say that I nearly can't do anything of your advise as I really don't know how to "define a constant" that can be available for testing in "functions.php", as I don't know how phpBB does to store session variables without using php session predefined variables...
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=138745

I've spend once again 15h yesterday only to find a solution for the 2 possible ways.
I know the principle, I'm NOT AT ALL a newbie in computing (I'm the author of a professional software sell to and used by the French Golf league), but I'm a newbie in php. So if it's not detailed advises I just can't use them as usually I already know the general possibilities/principle by myself, and then spend hours and days trying to find how to apply them.

So I've already do many tests around what you said testing $board_config['gzip_compress'] and ob_get_contents() for example (but the contents is always empty as it's deleted in page_tail.php), etc. but with no success.
And I had already thought to use a variable or a constant but I simply don't know how in practice do to let it be available for functions.php.

Moreover the first ob_start() must change something if all the next ones do not cause any error?
So there must have some thing to test in the php status here even without creating a constant, no?

Sorry for all this answer but that's the reality, all I'm able to do :(

P.S.: if you want to answer in French, here is the same problem in a French forum...
http://www.developpez.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128088
Eternal newbie
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Some more news...

I've found a real fix with avoid the error if the board uses any php release from the 4.2.0 one.

So now the error may occurs only for the 5th & 6th mode, if GZip is enabled, if the php release is from 4.0.0 to 4.1.2 (as ob_start() do not exist on php 3), and only for the 1st page seen.
But, as it is just a "PHP Warning" message and not a "PHP Error", I'll use the "@" fix to prevent it's display in the rare cases it may still occurs :)

Right.
So now... as it seems to be the only error found on this release, I'll publish this WE the final release of this MOD in version 2.0.0 :D
Eternal newbie
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

OK.
The final release is now ready and all upgrade files too.

I still just need to finalize the Spanish & Italian translations :P

DarkPepe> on your last post with translations, you put 2 different releases of the lang_adv_time.php file :(
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 672#822672

So can we sum up?
Can you post one last time, your LAST release for the "lang_adv_time.php" file and "the adv_time_db_update.php" one? :)

And, can you validate this:
Admins/Mods color management > Manejo de color para Admins/Mods
Administrators color > Color de los administradores
Moderators color > Color de los moderatores
MOD name > Nombre de la MOD
Do not include the word "MOD" in! > No incluya la palabra "MOD" en el nombre !

Eternal newbie
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Just for information, I will not be able to support my MODs for the next 10 days (until the 7th of November).
I need to go verifying if the pyramids are still in place and I come back :wink:

Hopefully Spanish and Italian translations will be ready at this time and I'll be able to publish the 2.0.0 in final release :)
Eternal newbie

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”