[MOD DB] 2.0.6 to 2.0.4 : Categories hierarchy v 2.0.4

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:57 pm

Actually there is a bug with those auth in phpBB : auth view and auth read are mixed for topics informations : as it is builded, auth read wants to refer to topic reading, auth view wants to refer to forum title view, and auth view (view forum) is requested for topic view (auth read) - which IMHO is the first bug. The main bug is the folder icon and the last poster info displayed in the forum row on the index, as you shouldn't have this information not being allowed to enter the forum to mark it as readen. I had to deal with this incoherence with categories hierarchy, and fixed those two bugs. I gonna check the mod database one to see if it has the same bug in it.

commandojnr

Post by commandojnr » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:48 am

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: What missing is the list of forums authorized indeed : ...

Thanks for your efforts Ptirhiik, but that mod to the mod (strange phrase) you did didn't seem to help. I guess i'll look around and see if I can find another mod that works.

Once I learn a bit more PHP i'll try and make my own mod, a vBulletin style front page (as seen on www.p45rant.com)

Thanks

Commandojnr

commandojnr

Post by commandojnr » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:50 am

To help anyone else out:

I tried two "recent topics" mods, both of them failed, presumably because they're incompatible with the categories heirachy mod. I think they're slightly buggy. My phpBB is reasonably heavily modded, so that might be having some impact.

I have found mods that work:
This has recent topics on it's own page, no header

This is a newer version, it has a header on the page

This has more options and is more configurable, but seems to be INCOMPATIBLE with the categories heirachy mod.

Personally I think the categories heirachy mod is more valuable than the buggy recent topics mods, but now everyone can have both :D Thanks again Ptirhiik :)

Pinkdog

different theme

Post by Pinkdog » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:48 am

would this work if i used another theme for my forum?
i was reading the readme and it shows which files to edit, but with the them im using some files are different, thus i cant find the line that it wants me to find and edit.

so also using Nutzzy's EasyMOD is out of the question also since its not working with the subsilver theme?

thanks
Laura

commandojnr

Post by commandojnr » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:00 am

I didn't write the mod, but maybe I can help...

Yes, you should be able to use this mod with different templates, but it would take more work. You'd have to work out by hand and hard work what parts of the new template need to be changed. You'd probably need a reasonable knowledge of HTML to do this.

Personally i'd look for the active tags that need to be replaced (eg { TAGNAME} ) and do my replacements based on them. It might take a bit of work though.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:37 am

First thing you have to keep in mind that installing a new template is an enormous mod to your board : count the file purely replaced to convince you :). So some templates, very close to subSilver will be really easy to modify, some which has broken with the subSilver structure will just be a nightmare, and will require a good understanding of how a tpl file is written.

A tip to ease the job : as there is no need to have a template on admin side, just use the subSilver admin files in replacement of your admin dir (templates/your template/admin) : this divide the job radicaly, also for other mods.

Then in categories hierarchy, we deal more with using a new tpl file than editing an existing one. Most of the modification (ie in index_body.tpl) consists in removing the categories and forums box, as the mod will use in place the new tpl file (index_box.tpl). By simply setting the class of your template in replacement of the one used by subSilver (cat, gen, row1, forumline, etc.) in index_box.tpl, you should get the expected result, or be very near of it :). The reason of creating this new tpl file was simply to avoid a long and harsh editing of the index_body.tpl, and the duplication of this in viewforum_body.tpl, as forums and categories can also be displayed in this view ;).

To help you, the modified files pack included the result of an installation on subSilver template, to compare with your installation. By seeing the subSilver file before and after, you should be able to recognize the modification more easely than only reading the install description (which will only point some spot).

Hope this will help :)

The Other Guy

Post by The Other Guy » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:00 am

I installed this program (with EasyMOD), and everything seems to be working... except that there's a parse error in admin_forums.php!!! There's one on line 455... I don't know what that means. Anyways, here's the code:

Edited by M2M : too long post :wink:
Er... yeah.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:37 am

Please remove your long post I would not read but that bugging everybody to read the next posts. If you have a file your want to show, rename it with .txt and upload it to your ftp, then provide a link in your post.

In order to fix any issue revealed by the installation (not due to this mod btw), please use the file included in the modified files pack and compare it with yours.

mm3guy

Post by mm3guy » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:42 am

Or better yet rename it to .phps :)

gager

Post by gager » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:41 pm

i hav also searched withc it

bcs10

Post by bcs10 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:09 am

ok i used easymod to install the mod now i am getting the following error when i click Managment under Forums Admin in the Admin Panel
Couldn't update list of Categories

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'cat_main_type' in 'field list'

UPDATE phpbb_categories SET cat_main_type='c', cat_main=0 WHERE cat_id=2

Line : 178
File : /home2/bcs/public_html/forums/admin/admin_forums.php

can anyone help me fix this

commandojnr

Post by commandojnr » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:20 am

(Guess) Easymod doesn't update the database. You'll need to look at the mod yourself, find the ALTER TABLE statements, and run them against your database. Use either the mySql command line or phpMyAdmin to do this.

bcs10

Post by bcs10 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:27 am

ok i fixed that.... now there arent new topic or post reply links on any of my boards.... or any of the images... except for the logo in the top left... what do i do to fix this.... someone please help...

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:30 am

Recheck your subSilver.cfg.

bcs10

Post by bcs10 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:40 am

i did and i even reuploaded the original.... subsilver.cfg file... and there are still no pics.... now what

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”