[DEV] Rewards Manager

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Napoleon

[DEV] Rewards Manager

Post by Napoleon » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:40 pm

Okay, this has been REALLY frustrating and I'm sure it's been frustrating for other Site Admins and MOD authors. Heres the prob. There are currently three rewards systems.
  1. Ponts System
  2. Allowance System
  3. Cash System
This problem has put a huge lock on my MOD's since I have to figure out how to support various money fields. A list of three "if else" statements and toggles is begining to suck up space and slow things down. This is mainly due to three fields in the user table & three fields in the config table. It's also causing conflicts between other MOD's and creating nitemares for MOD authors and site admins. So heres some solutions that I propose and I'd be more than happy to take on this MOD. However I need other MOD authors permission or I will be forced to drop other rewards support from my MOD's.

-: Solutions :-
  1. Create a standard for money/reward MOD's. Two fields are required.

1] user_money :: Held in the users record to record the users current amount.
    2] money_name :: Holds the name of the forums currency.

All MOD authors would then be required to fix there MOD's to these new standards.
  2. Create a MOD that will edit all rewards MOD's to use these two fields and also include an interface to manage all options via the ACP. All current MOD's that use a rewards system would also need modifications to work in unison.
  3. Have the MOD Team and psoTFX make a small default rewards system so everything else that uses a reward will have to be an Add-On instead of a new feature.
  4. Leave things the way they are while causing conflicts for site admins and MOD authors to figure out this mess on there own.
I relize that there are several issues as to why there are currently three rewards systems, and who knows how many will come out in the future. But something has to be done to fix all this confusion. Just when I thought I had everything fixed, I found out that Xore had decided to change his money field in v2 of his Cash MOD which really FUBAR all my work for the Quiz MOD. Current MOD's that use a rewards system are listed below :
  1. Activity
  2. Quiz
  3. Adar MMORPG
  4. Bank
  5. Item Shop
  6. rpgMOD
  7. Lottery
  8. Transaction MOD
I wasn't sure if I should put this post in MOD Beta Development or MOD Author support since it deals with an issue that could result in a new MOD for phpBB2 or a new MOD standard. :wink: Any feedback "Especially from MOD Authors and the MOD Team" are more then welcome.

Xore
Former Team Member

Re: [DEV] Rewards Manager

Post by Xore » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:04 pm

Napoleon wrote: Just when I thought I had everything fixed, I found out that Xore had decided to change his money field in v2 of his Cash MOD which really FUBAR all my work for the Quiz MOD.

Sorry about that, Napolean, i guess i didn't make it clear exactly the manner in which v2 works.

Since there are several ?standard? fields (user_points, user_cash) that people use to store their cash/points, (this is partially my fault) i felt that what would be a good idea is to allow admins to create their own fields, easily and dynamically. Currently, CMv2 covers (afaik) the majority of the base functionality of Points System. I'm looking at extending this to cover the base functionality of allowance (ie, give users cash automatically every .. day? week? or whatever -- this is correct, yes? )
in 2.1

So, anyway, the key thing here is, for admins to make use of such things as Activity, Quiz, RPGs, Bank, Item Shop, Transaction, Lottery, they merely need to click a button to add user_points, user_cash, or user_whatever, and it's all working beautifully.

This is why i suggested that MOD authors put their user_field of preference in a variable at the top of the code, and use that variable throughout, so that admins can initiallize the appropriate points, or just change the value of the variable, to make it compatible with a field that they already have created.

So, while this may sound conceited (And i apologize for this) Try giving CMv2 a chance as your only points system, and i'll have 2.1 out soon for allowances coverage.

It is my hope that Mod Authors who use rewards system will find this acceptable.
Camels in the Mist
<noise type="random" source="camel" />
Cash Mod

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:10 pm

I'd be more than happy to give CMv2 a try, infact I'm in the middle of installing it to a dummy board now. However the problem still remains that this is a popular feature for phpbb and a standard should be used for MOD authors that need to hard code a variable. If you want to just cut and paste the Allowance MOD into CMv2 then be my guest. I don't even require a link or greetz or credit in your MOD at all if you wish, I just need to get this rewards problem fixed. :P

Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:24 pm

Well, it's my personal preference that if i'm going to code something, i don't rip it off anyone else, i write it all or i give credit where due. As it happens, i've already got a good idea of how to implement an allowances system. This may or may not be similar to yours, i don't know.

I try not to look at other authors code, because then i want to model my code after theirs, and i get ideas of how this or that mod 'should' be coded, rather than creatively coming up with optimal solutions (this is not, btw, saying that your solution isn't optimal, just that i don't look at it).

However, i should be giving you and eXplosive credit for the initial concepts of 'points' and 'allowance', you broke the ground with new and innovative ideas, and you deserve, at minimum, credit for that.
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:47 pm

Hello Napoleon,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I wanted to think about this for a bit.

I used the original Points MOD, and now the Cash MOD, but I haven't used/tried your's yet, so I'm not really sure I can answer this topic all too well.

However, that said, I have to suggestions, for both Napoleon and Xore:

(1) Perhaps we can create a global field, within the userstable, that can be used across the board, for this type of issue(??)

(2) Perhaps we can create a new table that stores users_id and a couple of global fields for all these different values that are needing to be stored. It would require a bit more JOIN sql statements, but it might resolve this.

Anyway, those are my two suggestions, at this point.... but than again, I do not really feel I'm in a good position to address the issue, as I really haven't tried to integrate Napoleon's and Xores MODs together.

Lastly, @Napoleon, I'd say you should just ditch the "points MOD".... I do not see it having a life here @phpBB much longer. Between the MOD Author no longer supporting it, and Xore's recent version of Cash MOD, I just do not see the Points MOD having a solid place, if any, @phpBB. That does not leave out your own MOD though. I would be interrested in hearing how it differs from the Cash MOD, and how the new issue of the CashMOD creating a new field within the users_table would affect your own MOD's. I think, from what I understand, it's going to be a major problem. You need a hard-coded table field name, which is just not possible with the Cash MOD, due to it's ability to have admin definable field names.

Anyway, I'll gladly look into the situation more, if both of you feel it's necessary for a third set of eyes and brain-cells. :D

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:57 pm

I think I might have a better solution but it depends on Xore. If he wants to include the Allowance Options then I would be more than happy to drop the Allowance MOD and fully support CMv2 and code around it.

Rancisis

Re: [DEV] Rewards Manager

Post by Rancisis » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:10 pm

Xore wrote: I'm looking at extending this to cover the base functionality of allowance (ie, give users cash automatically every .. day? week? or whatever -- this is correct, yes? )
in 2.1
@Napoleon: I think that should answer it...

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:14 pm

But does that cover all of it? I mainly use the Allowance MOD for rank rewards. The Allowance part is nice, but the main use is the ranks rewards. :wink:

theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:13 am

can you just make an option on which kinda points thing they can use...

cuz i use the points sytem... i would use the cash mod but then im still at version 2.0.4 xP

also, zarath's shop uses the points system...

but if didnt have a heavily modded forum and im at 2.0.5 id use the cash mod cuz :

1. theres support
2. more features ^^ =P

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:50 am

Currently the Activity MOD runs for phpbb v2.0.0 - v2.0.5 and also has Points / Allowance MOD support. The Quiz MOD v1.0.0 will carry the same support. Although now that the Points MOD is basically been abandoned and the CashMOD has basically taken it's place, I'm stuck with a handful of MOD's that some site admins are now asking for Cash MOD support.

As I've been poking through CMv2, I'm begining to like it, however I still see some features that I miss with the Allowance MOD. This is why I made this thread, to get everyones opinions about making a rewards manager or making a reward standard. Basically the manager I have in mind will convert all three systems into one big system and support all three at the same time. This would keep Points users still in the game while getting rid of the User edit post bug, and also support the idea of future rewards systems being integrated with phpbb2.

So far I like John's idea about a global field, but I'm also trying not to bite off more than I can MOD which is why I'm pushing to get the Allowance routines / ideas put in the Cash MOD.

pollix

Post by pollix » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:06 am

What I truely love about the Allowance system is how you can charge people for posting, Private Messages, and Starting New Topics! That is great!! Xore.. if you could.. that would be awesome!!

Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:26 am

posting and starting new topics is already there

private messages is something that hasn't been brought to my attention before now. I will give it thought. thank you for the suggestion.
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod

pollix

Post by pollix » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:30 am

Xore wrote: posting and starting new topics is already there

private messages is something that hasn't been brought to my attention before now. I will give it thought. thank you for the suggestion.

Right.. but your version you can't charge people for posting. You can either set it to "0" or whatever positive number.

The Allowance system has a button to either Charge or Pay for New Topic, Reply or PM. Then the next line I believe you set the number. This would make for an awesome MOD!!

Xore
Former Team Member

Post by Xore » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:49 am

pollix wrote: Right.. but your version you can't charge people for posting. You can either set it to "0" or whatever positive number.

Actually, if you set a negative number, it will charge you for posting.
Camels in the Mist
Cash Mod

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:54 am

I vote for basing everything on Napoleon's Allowance system which I've found and excellent feature loaded setup clear back from his original Tetris and Activities mods. In fact at the time I had the points mod also installed on my board but have long since removed all remnants of it and have even coded several things to mend with the "Allowance" reward system which I found rather simple and I am no php guru. Two simple fields are changed in order to use Allowance as opposed to Points. I have been out of the modding scene for awhile and honestly haven't even a clue of Xore's mod but really think if possible he could simply intertwine it to be based on the allowance system and we would all have a very full featured, legit, and easy to addon reward system.

Just my .02 :wink:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”