[DISC] RPG Stats/Battle mod and more!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
fateorfantasy

Post by fateorfantasy »

Gemmaknight22 wrote:
fateorfantasy wrote:It will not work with Shop Mod 2.6.0! [as of Thursday, September 19, 2003]

If you have check a few pages back, you would have found the script for 2.60.....

Does it fix the problem with admin_shop.php? (and so that it includes the forum access field)
Gemmaknight22

Post by Gemmaknight22 »

fateorfantasy wrote:
Gemmaknight22 wrote:
fateorfantasy wrote:It will not work with Shop Mod 2.6.0! [as of Thursday, September 19, 2003]

If you have check a few pages back, you would have found the script for 2.60.....

Does it fix the problem with admin_shop.php? (and so that it includes the forum access field)

Unfortunately, I have no clue, but it's worth a try....I don't think anyone had "serious" problems......
Suede

Post by Suede »

Fate is right - truth be told Moogie did an excellent job documenting the files. The reasons this is an 80 page thread is because 1. it is a mod that is very open to 3rd party development, 2. When issues did come up, Moogie and others posted answers, 3. folks are too damn lazy to even be able to post their questions intelligently, so they had to ask them again, 4. Folks are too damn lazy to read the thread and asked the same questions other folks asked, 5. folks post to bitch there are so many posts.

Some of us tried to make a new thread - but any new threads made here get locked by the mods - shame as this mod encourages 3rd party development, but phpbb doesn't want to support that initiative, so they coralled all of the discussion into THIS thread. so tell me how in gods name is that Moogies fault? or the fault of her documentation. If YOU would make a mod and document it even half as well I could understand you posting this - but thats yet to be seen.

I swear - someone tries to just share some code and folks think they are entitled to getting some slave to do all the work for them - well thats just not the case. If you see a window of opportunity to make a better doc, or an add-on, or to make it compatible, then by all means do it! if youre not going to, then please dont mistake bitching about it to be helpful in any way -a s frankly yor post just wasted a few minutes of MY life which I will never see again, so pipe down and quit your whining please.
garofwar

Post by garofwar »

Right on Suede & fate

I may not be the smarts man when it come to php but i got the mod to work after reading what's on the forum if you look at the start off the page and work your way to page 83 you will find lot of info on this mod and how to get it to work right

just take your time and read it will help
OmegaQuest

Post by OmegaQuest »

Earthk wrote: Just finished installing the stockmarket mod and realized that I've to
manually click the buttons in order to change the stock prices.

I'm wondering whether did anyone managed to automate this by, maybe,
change the prices automatically everytime someone enter the stockmarket
shop? If there isn't any, any advice on how to run this efficiently without
returning to update the prices too frequently? Thanks :D

Same
spin

Post by spin »

Jup, I did, but it is still random based though...

Somewhere in the top of my index.php sits :

Code: Select all

//
// Update stockmarket
//
$sql = "SELECT config_value FROM " . CONFIG_TABLE . " WHERE config_name = 'stockmarker_update'";
$result = $db->sql_query($sql); 
if( $result ) 
{ 
        $row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);
        $last_update = $row['config_value'];
        if ( ($last_update == '0') || ($last_update <= time()) )
        {
                if ($last_update == '0') { $last_update = time(); }

$sql = "SELECT id,cost FROM phpbb_shopitems WHERE shop='Stockmarket'";
                if ( !($result = $db->sql_query($sql)) ) { message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, 'Fatal Error Fetching Stockmarket Costs!'); }
                $current_update_time = time();
                while ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
                {
                        $minlimit = rand(5,10);
                        $maxlimit = rand(5,10);
                        $minimum = $row['cost'] - $minlimit;
                        $maximum = $row['cost'] + $maxlimit;
                        if ($minimum <= 10) { $minimum = 10; }
                        if ($maximum > 50) { $maximum = 50; }
                        $newcost = rand($minimum, $maximum);
                        if ($newcost <= 10) { $newcost = 10; }
                        if ($newcost > 50) { $newcost = 50; }

$sql2 = "UPDATE phpbb_shopitems SET cost = ". $newcost ." WHERE id=". $row['id'];
                        if ( !($db->sql_query($sql2)) ) { message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, 'Fatal Error Randomising Stockmarket Costs!'); }

}

$update_time = 3600 + (rand(0,30)*60);
                $sql = "UPDATE ". CONFIG_TABLE ." SET config_value='". ($last_update + $update_time) ."' WHERE config_name='stockmarker_update'";
        $board_config['stockmarker_update'] = ($last_update + $update_time);
                if( !($result = $db->sql_query($sql)) )
                {
                        message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not update stockmarket update time', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
                }
        }
}
You'll need to add a 'stockmarker_update' column to your _config table before adding it.

It will make every stock go up or down by 5-10 points, every 60+(0-30) minutes. Without going under 10 or over 50.
OmegaQuest

Post by OmegaQuest »

Thanks, but its Updating it every time someone goes to the index.php page.
www.pittt.tk

Post by www.pittt.tk »

i have a problem with the auction mod

when a user bids and then retracts, and then no-one else bids before time runs out, the auction stays on the page
check out http://www.pittt.tk

A msg board with loads of mods
spin

Post by spin »

OmegaQuest wrote: Thanks, but its Updating it every time someone goes to the index.php page.

You'll need to add a 'stockmarker_update' column to your _config table before adding it.
Moogie

Post by Moogie »

Mastro wrote: I'm having the same issuse.

Is there no easy install instructions for this MOD? It's like an 88 page post here or something, and skimming through all these post leave me more confused on what mods I need, and what version, and this shop mod is newer but you hae to alter it to get it to work? Useing the points system but it might work with the cash system, whereever those are. I downloaded the MOD and it's horribly put together as far as where to start. I dont know where to start, where to get the mods it needs, other then trying to search for them, then reading on here there's newer version of some mods.

Would like some guidence as where to start. Would be nice in the read me if it was more simple:
You need these mods link, link, link
Install mod 1, 3 then 2
Follow these install instructions, a, b, c, d, e

It's just a bunch of folders and here figure it out.

Thanks very much :roll:
It's people like you that make me think I won't bother to release anything else I make for my forums which might be of interest to others. Most people seem to find the instructions quite easy to follow. There are a bunch of mods in the zip, when you want to install one, the instructions are in the folder with the relevant files. For example, the RPG mod folder contains instructions which say you'll need the shop mod, points mod and usable items mod. So, you go find those two mods (not difficult). If you were to try to install, say the usable items mod first, you'd find in the readme that it needs the shop mod. If you were to then go and try to install the shop mod, you'd see in that one's readme that you need the points mod first. It is obvious from the mods themselves which mods need to be installed and when! And then, after meeting the requirements (having those three mods installed), you can follow the instructions which are clearly documented and AFAIK include only one or two typos (being fixed, though I wonder why I bother), which anyone with even a grain of common sense should be able to figure out.

You don't need to read this post to install the mod, unless you experience difficulties. All the info you need is provided in the first post :roll:

Meh.

Anyhoo, going out for the morning, will try to get the latest zip file together later on.

For all those who responded to the above users post, thanks for the support.

(Sorry 'bout the rant, but this stuff rather annoys me)
Moogie
Zarath

Post by Zarath »

I know how tedious and annoying it is, Moogie. <comforts>

At least you didn't give out your messenger/aim names. :(

Zarath
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

I think we've all gone on a <rant> at one time or another, due to that type of response Moogie.... I know I have.
Q-Zar

Post by Q-Zar »

From what I've seen, most complains come from users with less than 10 posts, so it's newbies who come and complain immediately that they have to do some work for a mod. All wish they could just upload a file and that would be it :roll:

Anyway, this mod may be complicated for newbies because it's vast.
They'd better try and install a couple of simple mods first, just to get used to moving around php and tpl files, and then try the more complicated mods.

I think you did a great job Moogie, no complains on my part, especially because you released it as a favour to your fans :)
Traductions : Cash Mod v2.2.2 (Getting Started) / Dice Mod v1.2.3 / Activity Mod Plus 1.0.8
Remember this. Please read the F.A.Q/Troubleshooting of a mod before asking questions.
Mastro

Post by Mastro »

fateorfantasy wrote: Why do people complain, it's so annoying, she didn't have to release it, and you don't have to use it. She released it as-is. I installed it in less than an hour, when it was first released, and I'm 13. Go write your own script if you don't like the install instructions so much. But if you're willing to give it a second chance, here are the things you must install:

1. Points System* OR Cash Mod (Current Version: 2.0.2)**
2. Useable Items Addon (Included in zip file)
3. Shop Mod 1.2.0***

*Version 2 requires some additional modifications which are enclosed in file called "Points Mod v2 fix.txt"
**Requires some additional modifications which are enclosed in file called "Cash Mod Compatability.txt"
***I couldn't find the link someone posted to their file, so I uploaded it again.

It will not work with Shop Mod 2.6.0! [as of Thursday, September 19, 2003]
-Current Fix [not totally complete]: Monday, September 15, 2003

Thank you fateorfantasy. This is really what I, and maybe play-fo, was looking for. Yes there are folders with instructions, but as I went from folder to folder reading them trying to figure it out, I wasn't 100% sure of what to do. Does one come before the other? When it says install this mod and this mod, do I know it is or is not included. Then when I came to this thread, people are talking about using the Shop Mod 2.6.0 vs 1.2.0 and also trying to search for the Point mod was a pain searching just "point mod" so many topics came up. Then asking myself, is this the version they are using? Or is it another version out there? So having it laid out the way you did with links and version numbers and step-by-step just made it 100% better imo. That's all I wanted, and that's what all the previous mods I've seen put together have.
Moogie wrote: It's people like you that make me think I won't bother to release anything else I make for my forums which might be of interest to others.

Sorry Moogie if I made you feel this way. And sorry to the others if I came accross too harsh and complaintful. I had been searching and researching for 2 days trying to figure it all out before I got started and was about to give up on it all together. I did post another thread a page or 2 back saying I needed some help but that post was ignored. This post was a, uncalled for, lash out of my built up frustration. I had even thought of PMing you and willing to donate paypal $$ for assistance.

Keep up the good work, it is people like you that make the forum world a better place to post in.
Q-Zar wrote: From what I've seen, most complains come from users with less than 10 posts, so it's newbies who come and complain immediately that they have to do some work for a mod. All wish they could just upload a file and that would be it

I don't mind doing the work, I'm used to installing large mods where you go through pages of edits. It was meerly I did not know where to begin and if there was a certain order. Just a bunch of install files that all seemed stand-alone, yet required something else.

Again, thanks for the perfect answer fateorfantasy. Maybe Moogie you can copy and paste his answer with the links into your readme for less expereiced PhP users such as myself.
OmegaQuest

Post by OmegaQuest »

spin wrote:
OmegaQuest wrote:Thanks, but its Updating it every time someone goes to the index.php page.

I already did that or it wouldnt work at all lol

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”