[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Aces

install problems - 'unable to fork'

Post by Aces »

(For info on my setup and installed mods please click on the links in my sig below.)

I have been trying to install newssync and everything goes okay until I click on verify configuration in the NewsSync Management admin panel which gives me the following screen:

If i 'click here' i get sent to the following screen:

when I go to run newssync.bat via the command line or run newssync.php from the browser I get the following errors repeated down the page:
Warning: touch(): Unable to create file C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/phpBB2/tmp/output.log because No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 169

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 170

Warning: touch(): Unable to create file C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/phpBB2/tmp/session.log because No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 173

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 174

Warning: fopen(C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/phpBB2/tmp/output.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 178
ERROR CANNOT OPEN LOGFILE
Warning: fopen(C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/phpBB2/tmp/session.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\phpBB2\newssync\inc\sync_utils.php on line 182
ERROR CANNOT OPEN SESSION LOGFILE© Copyright 2003 Cooler Climate | www.coolerclimate.com

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?
webrunner

phpbb messages not being posted to usenet newsgroup?

Post by webrunner »

Hi everybody.
I have installe the phpbb mod into Mambo and it works great.
I installed the newssync mod and that works too.
It gets the messages from usenet ans stores it neatly into my phpbb/mambo forum.

But when i post a message in the forum, it doesn't get posted to the usenet newsgroup.
I get the following error message in the newssync log file:

Code: Select all

Sep 07 12:36:25 am	Syncing: usenet:rec.games.backgammon with phpBB:rec.games.backgammon
Sep 07 12:36:26 am	-- No NEW messages to process
Sep 07 12:36:26 am	-- Error: cannot send reply to newserver
-email: 	
-name=	
-subject=New backgammon Portal needs input	
-body=Hello everybody. 	
I have started a new backgammon portal website. 	
Registration is free and everybody can help fill it with information,	
articles, etc	
Sep 07 12:36:26 am	-- 1 new phpBB posts
I have already tried anything like different news servers, different configurations, etc.

Anybody has any idea?
:?: :?:
Hiro Protagonist

Re:

Post by Hiro Protagonist »

I have the newsync running perfectly at www.excelforums.com - Awesome addin but it took a lot of work.

One thing I would recommend modifying the source of any posts so users can only specify the subject in a new topic, and not in a reply. This helps the synch match up topics with responses, as PHP is not threaded like newsgroups.

If anyone is interested, I have a fresh copy of PHPBB with the subject line hack (which still allows PM to be sent with subject) and the NewsSync working perfectly.

Give me a PM or email balazs(deletethis)@(deletethis)excelteam(do.t)ca and I'll help anyone who needs help or wants a fresh install of the working copy.

Check out www.excelforums.com
BlackChart

Post by BlackChart »

How come I get this error when replying to a post in phpBB??

-- Error sending message: 441 437 Followups must start with `Re: ' (see RFC 1036)

Even though the output when syncing states that no subject was found and i added Re: Test post

Any solution for that??
Best regards,
Morten Trab aka BlackChart
Aces

Is NewsSync 1.5 broken on phpBB 2.0.10?

Post by Aces »

Hiro Protagonist wrote: I have the newsync running perfectly at www.excelforums.com - Awesome addin but it took a lot of work.

Neat installation....

Have you got 1.5 working, or the earlier 1.0.4 (= 1.4 ?)

I failed to install newssync version 1.5 successfully, but 1.0.4 is working fairly well on my site, as can be seen by the test forum and the php forums if you click on the link in my signature below.

I originally didn't know that there was a version 1.0.4 version and after failing to install 1.5, I found the earlier version, so I thought I'd try it out. It is now working successfully (other than a few little issues) on my site.

Now I know 1.0.4 works, I will try to upgrade to 1.5 and see if that is possible. I hope that newssync upgrades ok and hasn't broken in NewsSync 1.5 / phpbb 2.0.10....

If anyone has successfully installed 1.5 or knows any other tricks to get it working please please let us know.....
Aces

Success at last!!!

Post by Aces »

I have now got NewsSync for phpBB version 1.5.0 RC6 working!

Once I had installed 1.0.4 and got it working, then followed the instructions for upgrading, I didn't really have any problems....

I did get the 'Unable to fork' warning I mentioned above but that didn't seem to have any other effect when I ignored it!

Sorry if my pessimism (a by-product of using M$ products) has put anyone off....
blocktax

Looking for newssync consultant

Post by blocktax »

Please email mblock@blocktax.com if you can install and help maintain newssync on my site.
Mike Block, C.P.A.
Intuit pays me to make QuickBooks better!
http://www.blocktax.com/
http://www.quickbooks-add-ons.com/
artbatista

Post by artbatista »

I had it working and since yesterday I am getting this:

Error: Cannot find server_id 1

Can anyone help me?

I have tried telnetting to the news server and I can get a connection that way, so I know it's not a port being blocked.

Art
artbatista

Post by artbatista »

artbatista wrote: I had it working and since yesterday I am getting this:

Error: Cannot find server_id 1

Can anyone help me?

I have tried telnetting to the news server and I can get a connection that way, so I know it's not a port being blocked.

Art

On the odd chance that someone else has this problem, I deleted from the sql database the newssync tables, reconfigured and now it works. Something got corrupted I guess.

One other problem that I have is that I can't run the cron job by executing the go-newssync or even newssync.php, all I get is a bunch of errors. I use instead:

wget -q http://www.mydomainname.com/phpBB2/xxx/newssync.php | rm newssync.php

So far so good. I have it working fine now with a few newsgroups at:

http://www.battime.com

Art
Mbuna

Post by Mbuna »

Did a fresh install of the mod at http://PokerProForums.com/forums/

Install went ok, but I get a 500 error when I click on the newsgroup from the admin panel. Log shows header error:

[Tue Oct 5 15:40:14 2004] [error] [client 148.8.13.199] Premature end of script headers: /home/virtual/site84/fst/var/www/interpreters/php-script

That's it for the log.

newsync dir is:

drwxr-xr-x 7 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Oct 5 15:27 newssync

Files are:

drwxrwxr-x 2 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Nov 21 2003 copyto-admin
drwxrwxr-x 2 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Nov 21 2003 copyto-templates-admin
drwxrwxr-x 2 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Nov 21 2003 docs
-rwxr-x--x 1 pokerpro pokerpro 49 Nov 21 2003 go-newssync
-rwxr-x--x 1 pokerpro pokerpro 54 Nov 21 2003 go-newssync-nice
drwxr-xr-x 3 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Nov 21 2003 inc
drwxrwxr-x 3 pokerpro pokerpro 4096 Nov 21 2003 language
-rw-rw-r-- 1 pokerpro pokerpro 46 Nov 21 2003 newssync.bat
-rw-r--r-- 1 pokerpro pokerpro 10921 Nov 21 2003 newssync.php
-rw-rw-r-- 1 pokerpro pokerpro 2094 Oct 5 15:20 newssync_config.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 pokerpro pokerpro 1914 Nov 21 2003 pseudo_cron.php

When I try to sync from command line I get the following:

bash-2.05a$ ./go-newssync

NewsSync for phpBB 1.5.0 RC6
© Copyright 2003 Cooler Climate | www.coolerclimate.com
-- Limiting CPU Usage

Syncing: usenet: rec.gambling.poker with phpBB:Rec.Gambling.Poker
-- syncronization mode: Full Syncronization (two-way)
-- connected to news.choiceonecom.com:119
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in <b>/var/www/html/newssync/inc/nntp_funcs.php</b> on line <b>236</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: fsockopen(): unable to connect to news.choiceonecom.com:119 in <b>/var/www/html/newssync/inc/nntp_funcs.php</b> on line <b>236</b><br />
- NNTP ERROR: connection error
- NNTP ERROR: connection failed
-- No NEW messages to process
* Looking for new phpBB posts...
-- no new phpBB posts
** Update Complete

Any help is appreciated. Server is on an Ensim box running Fedora.
Mbuna

Post by Mbuna »

Disregard, turns out choiceone is having issues with the newserver. I setup a free server and it's syncing fine now.
Mbuna

Post by Mbuna »

Up and running with two way syncro at http://PokerProForums.coms
Mbuna

Post by Mbuna »

Anyone know how it determines if it is already running? When I try to run it, it says it's already running. But I can't stop it, and looking at server processes shows that there is nothing running for it.
Mbuna

Post by Mbuna »

Anyone have this running on a postnuke site? I am trying to get it running but when I try to run the install it comes back with a blank screen and doesn't install.

No database tables have been created.
lukem

Post by lukem »

I'm trying to install this and when I got into my admin, click settings, it says its not installed and I need to click the url to install it. Then it asked for Absolute dir which I put it but it keeps telling me incorrect path???

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”