[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
qnx

Re: beta 6 now available

Post by qnx » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:48 pm

andymjenkins wrote: Warning: main(/inc/newssync_const.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ukbugnet/public_html/appleyard/modules/PNphpBB2/admin/newssync_admin_init.php on line 46

In newssysnc_config.php, make sure you set $newsSync_enable_postnuke_mod to true and set newsSync_POSTNUKE_PATH to the absolute path of postnuke

andymjenkins

Post by andymjenkins » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:22 pm

qnx wrote: yes, I got it installed on a test stand alone phpbb 2.0.6 machine,

was that a fresh install, or an upgrade ?

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:08 am

andymjenkins wrote:
qnx wrote:yes, I got it installed on a test stand alone phpbb 2.0.6 machine,

if you are upgrading from a previous beta, follow the upgrade scripts carefully. From B3, you need to use the B3 to B4 script, and then the b4,b5 to b6 scripts...

if this is not the problem, what kind of issues are you running into?
-k

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:11 am

qnx wrote: yes, I got it installed on a test stand alone phpbb 2.0.6 machine, all seems to work fine except the new "Reject Oversize Messages" option doesn't work. Everytimei I set it to NO and click submit, it comes back with YES again.

Installed on Postnuke/PNphpBB2 1.2a and worked fine too, except the same "Reject Oversize Messages" issue.

BTW, it seems the old allow attachment option is gone. Just an observation, not like I miss it :) You had to set it to NO anyway/

I'll look into the reject oversize bug, sorry about that, I put it in b7, which will arrive in a day or so, just want to make sure that I didn't break the install (which given the previous message, I might of...)

I decided to drop, the allow attachment for 1.5 given that I have done zero work on it, and I want to get a working version of 1.5 out of beta as soon as possible.

I will do the attachment stuff for 1.6.

-k

andymjenkins

Post by andymjenkins » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:21 am

wineknow wrote: if this is not the problem, what kind of issues are you running into?

For the moment, this is just a fresh install of b6. I've put some debugging lines in the code, and each time newssync_root_path is coming back as null. Probably because of "$newssync_root_path = $row['config_value'];" in newssync_admin.ini.php. As this is a fresh install, there will be no value(s) in the DB - so why is the code trying to get values at this stage ?

This is the first problem I've had like this - and looking at the previous betas I see not much has changed in this area - so I'm confident its my config thats the problem (I think anyway).

wineknow

beta 7 now available

Post by wineknow » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:30 am

two bugs in beta 6
- an install one -- sorry an error in the SQL and a typo in the code
- fixed the Yes/No checkbox for the reject oversize message...

see first post in this topic for more details...
-k

qnx

Post by qnx » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:48 am

andymjenkins wrote:
qnx wrote:yes, I got it installed on a test stand alone phpbb 2.0.6 machine,

all upgrade.

qnx

Post by qnx » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:17 am

a question regarding the new table "newssync_cache" that was added in b3/b4: if I am upgrading from b2, this new table will be empty. Do I need to purge and re-sync all my forums to get this table populated? Will there be a problem if I don't do that? I am trying not to re-sync because this process takes too long for long groups.

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:49 pm

qnx wrote: a question regarding the new table "newssync_cache" that was added in b3/b4: if I am upgrading from b2, this new table will be empty. Do I need to purge and re-sync all my forums to get this table populated? Will there be a problem if I don't do that? I am trying not to re-sync because this process takes too long for long groups.

short answer: no, you don't need to purge and re-sync.

more detail: the newssync cache is a replacement for the old .dat and .txt files -- which you can delete if they still exist. when you sync for the first time (with this newer version) it will "fill the cache up up" with this same nntp summary data [which expires as the nntp expires messages]. "new" messages are now based upon a SELECT with a join between cache and the data tables - significantly more efficient that the previous "loop thru all messages every time".

as always it is recommended if you are attempting this on a production system, backup first... of course, beta software is NOT recommended for production, however, I am running it on wineknow.com.

-k

qnx

Post by qnx » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:46 pm

wineknow wrote: more detail: the newssync cache is a replacement for the old .dat and .txt files -- which you can delete if they still exist. when you sync for the first time (with this newer version) it will "fill the cache up up" with this same nntp summary data [which expires as the nntp expires messages].

how does it "fill the cache up" the first time? does it rely on the old .dat and .txt files? This brings up a second question: shall I copy the old files from the old data directory to the new one (default /tmp), or can I just safely delete them? My understanding is the new version doesn't need those files anymore.

btw, b7 works for on both phpbb2 2.0.6 and postnuke/PNphpBB2 1.2a.

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:04 pm

qnx wrote:
wineknow wrote: more detail: the newssync cache is a replacement for the old .dat and .txt files -- which you can delete if they still exist. when you sync for the first time (with this newer version) it will "fill the cache up up" with this same nntp summary data [which expires as the nntp expires messages].

how does it "fill the cache up" the first time? does it rely on the old .dat and .txt files? This brings up a second question: shall I copy the old files from the old data directory to the new one (default /tmp), or can I just safely delete them? My understanding is the new version doesn't need those files anymore.

btw, b7 works for on both phpbb2 2.0.6 and postnuke/PNphpBB2 1.2a.

it will re-download the summary from the nntp server -- (doesn't take all that long)

you don't need a data directory at all -- only for upgrading from 1.0.x do you need to keep the data directory around -- and that is only for upgrading the text file of the sync mappings...

in the newssync_config.php file, the data dir variable is ONLY for creating the log files now..and can be anywhere...

qnx

Post by qnx » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:40 pm

one suggestion: can we make the email anti-spam config per group rather than global? Some of my forums may link to a private server where I don't want to mangle the email address. Other of my forums may link to a public server where I do want to "hide" poster's email address.

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:15 am

qnx wrote: one suggestion: can we make the email anti-spam config per group rather than global? Some of my forums may link to a private server where I don't want to mangle the email address. Other of my forums may link to a public server where I do want to "hide" poster's email address.

I have made this change - thanks for all your help.
Before I release this hopefully finally BETA, is there anyone who is having trouble installing -- or any critical issues?

So far, this B7 seems pretty solid -- and I will make some updates to the docs...

-k

qnx

Post by qnx » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:28 am

I agree 1.5 is pretty solid now.
Thank you for your hard work and support!

lc_phix

Post by lc_phix » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:20 pm

I still cant seem to get it to install on php nuke 6.5, nor 6.9.
Im currently uploading 7.0 to my website and should have it up and running today. I will try it again with the instructions given and see what i can do, if i have any problems i will post them here with exactly what i did to install it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nuke installation?
[LC] Phix

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”