[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
redwing_talon
Registered User
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:15 am
Location: eastern US
Contact:

Post by redwing_talon » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:23 am

wineknow wrote: I have had this happen to me too: and it turns out to be a permissions issue.

- make sure that if you are running from the admin tool that the web user (apache, nobody, wwwuser, ...) has full r-x permissions to all of newssync directory and it has rw to the data directory (in newssync_config)
- when you move to CRON, either run the cron job as the web server OR make sure the user running cron has same access...


Thanks, works like it should now :D

redwing_talon
Registered User
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:15 am
Location: eastern US
Contact:

Post by redwing_talon » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:25 am

Odd that it worked first time though, wonder if/how permissions got changed on its own somehow?

scottct1
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by scottct1 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:20 am

This mod is working GREAT for me! My users are enjoying it although the usenet community is kind of POed that all my members have access to "their" newsgroups, they seem to feel that those folks who are too "stupid" to setup their own NNTP program should not be reading or posting to the newsgroups.

But I digress.. :D

One thing I need to figure out how to do is turn off BBCodes in my Usenet forums, the usenet guys are upsets when they see a message full of phpbb bbcode. I guess they got something there. :)

Any ideas on this are appreciated. :)
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US

sandman229
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:09 pm
Location: Victorville, Ca.
Contact:

Post by sandman229 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:12 pm

Well, I re installed rc3 and changed 1 thing we discussed earlier. Anyway, it worked just fine. However my only problem is getting the incoming posts to import as indivisible post instead of 1 post with a 100 replys all not related. Must be the way the bbs stores and sends out the posts.

The only other problem is in the admin area with the setting. When I click on it, I get the admin index page again.

scottct1
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by scottct1 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:47 am

Ok I am having a problem that the Usenet folks are complaigning about, I hope someone can help with this one...

The problem is when I quote someone on my board

It looks like this when I post
Seth wrote: Bob,

I think the Red Sox will win tonight as well!
Seth


Cool Seth! It's the 7th inning and Sox are still winning..

But when it's displayed to people on usenet is is dislayed as follows

Sethwrote:
>Bob,
I think the Red Sox will win tonight as well!
Seth
Cool Seth! It's the 7th inning and Sox are still winning..

As you can see the messages both blend together. How do I fix the quoting to make the usenet people happy.

Thanks for your help!
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US

scottct1
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by scottct1 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:21 am

Ok I have figured out that if I quote back and it only has one quote in it it looks like this on usenet

Code: Select all

> Scott Greczkowski wrote:

> 
> Ok this is a test message back from Satelliteguys.
> 
> Lets hope this works!

Testing once again!
That looks good, however if I take a post that has two quotes like shown below...
Scott Greczkowski wrote: On 17 Oct 2003 03:05:15 GMT, scott@satelliteguys.us (Scott
Greczkowski) wrote:
This is a test.... This is only a test.

If this was a real message it would have been posted in another
newsgroup

Came through great! Lets see if we can quote it back


Ok this is a test message back from Satelliteguys.

Lets hope this works!

When this message makes it to usenet it looks like this...

Code: Select all

> Scott Greczkowski wrote:
On 17 Oct 2003 03:05:15 GMT, scott@satelliteguys.us (Scott
> Greczkowski) wrote:
> 
> This is a test.... This is only a test.
> 
> If this was a real message it would have been posted in another
> newsgroup
> 
Came through great!  Lets see if we can quote it
back[/quote:26866c225b]

Ok quoting it back
Notice that the second quote has some wierd numbers after it. What I believe the post should look like is as follows

Code: Select all

> Scott Greczkowski wrote:On 17 Oct 2003 03:05:15 GMT, 
>>scott@satelliteguys.us (Scott> Greczkowski) wrote:
>>
>>This is a test.... This is only a test.
>> 
>>If this was a real message it would have been posted in another
>>newsgroup
>>

>Came through great!  Lets see if we can quote it
>back

Ok quoting it back
Any ideas?
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US

sandman229
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:09 pm
Location: Victorville, Ca.
Contact:

Post by sandman229 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:11 pm

sandman229 wrote: Well, I re installed rc3 and changed 1 thing we discussed earlier. Anyway, it worked just fine. However my only problem is getting the incoming posts to import as indivisible post instead of 1 post with a 100 replys all not related. Must be the way the bbs stores and sends out the posts.

The only other problem is in the admin area with the setting. When I click on it, I get the admin index page again.


Well, there is some issues with this program. Ran newssync again this morning and all new post came in as replys to the 1 post I already had. Plus it is still running and I can't shut it off. I guess I will have to find another way to get newsgroups into my board..

Well be deleting newssync...

openthe
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:25 am

Blank Screen at install

Post by openthe » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:34 am

I am getting a blank screen on initial install,
what could be wrong?
I can see it in the admin control panel.... :cry:

qnx
Registered User
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:03 am

rebuild post count

Post by qnx » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:45 pm

For those of you who are playing with newssync, if you purge a forum, the users post count will NOT be decreased. So if you re-sync, you will see the post count is doubled. If you purge/resync for a few times, the post count for every user will be completely out of sync.

Now, this hack will be in handy :)
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=789867

wineknow
Registered User
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Blank Screen at install

Post by wineknow » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:24 am

openthe wrote: I am getting a blank screen on initial install,
what could be wrong?
I can see it in the admin control panel.... :cry:


you probably have not setup the newssync_config.php properly.
verify that you followed the instructions properly and try again.
-k

User avatar
LaZeR
Registered User
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:38 pm
Contact:

Post by LaZeR » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:23 pm

Been out of the modding scene for the past couple months due to my new job but I've noticed newssync no longer works for me and I'm sure it has something to do with my host switching a function in php which has to do with execution of files and CHMOD, ect... Something called phpEXEC. Anyone familiar w/ this and what I would need to re-permission or change to get working again? :cry:

P71
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:06 am

Anti spam function doesn't work!

Post by P71 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:25 am

:oops: I use phpbb 2.06 + Newssync 1.5 rc2 and found the following irregularities:

- The one way syncronisation (to newsgroup only) is not working (cannot set, it always change back to bi-directional)
- The AntiSpam feature that change the e-mail adresses in the posts also doesn't work. (cannot set, it always change back to NO)

Is these issues are known or there is a problem with my configuration?

thx.

qnx
Registered User
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:03 am

subject truncated?

Post by qnx » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:10 pm

a usenet thread with a subject: cat <<EOF
after imported to phpbb, the subject becomes: cat <

any ideas?

scottct1
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Anti spam function doesn't work!

Post by scottct1 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:45 pm

P71 wrote: :oops: I use phpbb 2.06 + Newssync 1.5 rc2 and found the following irregularities:

- The one way syncronisation (to newsgroup only) is not working (cannot set, it always change back to bi-directional)
- The AntiSpam feature that change the e-mail adresses in the posts also doesn't work. (cannot set, it always change back to NO)

Is these issues are known or there is a problem with my configuration?

thx.


I had this problem as well, I just went into the database and made the changes by hand. :) (ie antispam from a 0 (for off) to 1 for on) :)
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US

wineknow
Registered User
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Anti spam function doesn't work!

Post by wineknow » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:49 pm

scottct1 wrote:
P71 wrote::oops: I use phpbb 2.06 + Newssync 1.5 rc2 and found the following irregularities:

- The one way syncronisation (to newsgroup only) is not working (cannot set, it always change back to bi-directional)
- The AntiSpam feature that change the e-mail adresses in the posts also doesn't work. (cannot set, it always change back to NO)

Is these issues are known or there is a problem with my configuration?

thx.


I had this problem as well, I just went into the database and made the changes by hand. :) (ie antispam from a 0 (for off) to 1 for on) :)


i'll take a look to see if I can reproduce it.
-k

Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”