[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:26 pm

The problem seems to be with the /newssync/data directory (files created within it), It will not let me go back in and chown any of those NOR Chmod although I can 777 the /data directory itself and the script will run ONLY in phpbb but the chron fails. When I check each file inside /data, they are all stuck on 644 and when I run chown -R lazer newssync again it reports that:

chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/newssync_config.php': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/newssync_pseudo_cron.php': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/output.log': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/session.log': Operation not permitted

Is this acting correctly? Should those files not change also or what could possibly be going wrong. :? Could it be something my host has not setup properly :?:

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:03 pm

getting permissions setup right for many applications is an art under UNIX...

you cannot chown, or chmod unless you have permissions to do so...

if you can run newssync via the newssync console, (and it works), then you can run just fine from as the web server.

which means that the pseudo_cron.php added to your common.php file should work -- or at least it should not be a permission issue -- something else must be wrong...

and there might be....

looking into it.
-k
LaZeR wrote: The problem seems to be with the /newssync/data directory (files created within it), It will not let me go back in and chown any of those NOR Chmod although I can 777 the /data directory itself and the script will run ONLY in phpbb but the chron fails. When I check each file inside /data, they are all stuck on 644 and when I run chown -R lazer newssync again it reports that:

chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/newssync_config.php': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/newssync_pseudo_cron.php': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/output.log': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `newssync/data/session.log': Operation not permitted

Is this acting correctly? Should those files not change also or what could possibly be going wrong. :? Could it be something my host has not setup properly :?:

wineknow

the README.txt

Post by wineknow » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:11 pm

well hell. 8O
I appologize for the README.txt file.
It did contain a lot of useful facts - like how to install, how to setup for postnuke and phpnuke, but obviously something happened to it
-- I will rewrite it for beta 2
-k

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:21 pm

I'll admit, part of my problem is I'm about clueless when it comes to these linux, unix commands for whatever. I lean on the fancy interfaces like ftp, cpanel, ect... and truthfully as far as setting up cron, about the only way I understand it is to use the cpanel on my host.

:lol: Now on a funny note, just decided to try this thing like I run Netclectic's Find-Input news delivery via the cron and I came up with the following which is working now because when I went into ACP just for kicks after setting the cron to begin in a few minutes, it said was running and I am positive I hadn't triggered it in the ACP this time.

Well anyhow this did it for me for the cron command line:

Code: Select all

GET http://www.oasisforum.valcato.net/phpbb/newssync/newssync.php > /dev/null
Maybe thats what u meant though as the webserver? :lol:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:23 pm

wineknow wrote: which means that the pseudo_cron.php added to your common.php file should work -- or at least it should not be a permission issue -- something else must be wrong...

Oops :oops: :lol: Is this part of the missing instructions by chance :?:

Had no idea about editing any other files :?

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:30 pm

LaZeR wrote:
wineknow wrote: which means that the pseudo_cron.php added to your common.php file should work -- or at least it should not be a permission issue -- something else must be wrong...

The Readme.txt use to say:

to use newssync_pseudo_cron.php add the following line to the end of your common.php file. (above the ?>)

require_once("full/path/to/newssync_pseudo_cron.php");

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:39 pm

Ah, ok that would be good. I think I'll just wait a bit for further instructions since I don't really know how that psuedo thing works. I mean does it run at certain intervals, or just when someone hits the forum pages.... :?

On a worse note again, I just found out with that last effort I came up with to run the cron via cpanel command I have to remove the .htaccess 'deny from all' protection from /newssync which I'm not to wild about.

qnx

Re: handling of date/time

Post by qnx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:24 pm

wineknow wrote: just to make sure I get it right
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:44:17 +0200
== 25 Jul 2003 20:44:17 GMT
and NOT 25 Jul 2003 24:44:17 GMT

right now I am +2h and should be -2h...

-k

right.
+0200 means the timezone is GMT+2hours. So, to get GMT time, you need -2h.

qnx

Post by qnx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:35 pm

LaZeR wrote: The problem seems to be with the /newssync/data directory (files created within it), It will not let me go back in and chown any of those NOR Chmod although I can 777 the /data directory itself and the script will run ONLY in phpbb but the chron fails. When I check each file inside /data, they are all stuck on 644 and when I run chown -R lazer newssync again it reports that:

when you do things via the GUI, you interact with the webserver and all files created in the "data" directory are owned by the webserver user. now, your cron or ssh command runs under your own username. it needs to write into "data" directory. you got the permission problem. On a unix system, you have to be a super user (root) to do "chown" or chmod on other people's files. so become root, and "cd data" and do "chmod 666 *"
your cron should work now. you can verify it from command line first. I also suggest adding chmod 666 in your script to make sure those files in data directory are writable, just in case you need to use GUI next time and the webserver user can write.

wineknow

newssync reply to...

Post by wineknow » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:23 pm

so there has been a number of issues raised about how newssync handles what message to reply to, when someone posts a reply to a usenet message from within phpbb.

because phpbb is a flat topic/reply structure and usenet uses a threaded approach they can never be "perfect".

looking a message thread from a usenet prespective

- re: message [reply to original message]
         - re: message [reply to the above reply]
   - re: message [reply to first reply]
it would look like the following in phpbb

- message [original topic]
- re: message [1st reply]
- re: message [2nd reply]
- re: message [3rd reply]
when a phpbb user hits reply it would be added to the reply list in phphbb

but when it is synced to usenet it would appear as:

- re: message [reply to original message]
         - re: message [reply to the above reply]
   - re: message [reply to first reply]
- re: message [reply from phpbb]
in the flat world of phpbb this makes perfect sense -- in the not-so flat world of usenet this can be exactly what the user intended or not.

comments?
-k

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:43 pm

Hi,

I upgraded from 1.0 (which worked fine) and now when I click Console I get this-
Error php executable is missing from your configuration. Please update NewsSync Settings.

When I try to go to settings I get a jumble of code like this-
‹Ô;ksÛ¶–Ÿ¥_

Brian Lucas

Error php executable is missing from your configuration

Post by Brian Lucas » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:58 pm

trackpads wrote: I upgraded from 1.0 (which worked fine) and now when I click Console I get this-
Error php executable is missing from your configuration. Please update NewsSync Settings.

If you have shell access to your account, type "which php" or "where php" and this will tell you the path to enter on the third field of the settings page. If you can't do this, you probably need to ask your ISP.

In my case, PHP was installed as an apache module only, the command-line interface (CLI) was not installed. That was the default installation prior to PHP version 4.3 (December 2002), but version 4.3 and up include the CLI by default. My provider had to update the version of PHP on the server before I was able to use newssync. My path to the executable turned out to be "/opt/bin/php".

Oh, wait, now that I read your post again, I don't think that was really your question!

Regarding the jumble of code when you try to view your settings, I don't think I have any advice other than to try re-installing. Also try to see if you can edit the file /admin/admin_newssync_config.php using a text editor to see if it is corrupted.
Last edited by Brian Lucas on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:05 pm

Hi,

I cant get to the settings page at all, it comes up with that code blurb above. The only thing I was able to edit was the install options and it didnt ask for any path to php, just to phpbb and the newssync prog.

I am on a dedicated server and it was working before,

Thanks again for the fast help,

-Jason

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:06 pm

I looked in phpmyadmin, is the 'php_exe' filed where I should put it?

Thanks again,

-Jason

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:08 pm

trackpads wrote: Hi,

When I try to go to settings I get a jumble of code like this-
‹Ô;ksÛ¶–Ÿ¥_?ËN›¤•DI¶“ø!ï:¶Óz&q³±³w;{w4 ‰¨I‚—­h»÷¿ï9 E=+'“;»IS‘ ppÞ8òì/W¿^ÞÿöášýrÿþûðéÍ»›Kæu}ÿ¯—¾ueöúv_ðLK#UÆß¿¾õÎÛg±Iü<:o·ÏRa8‹?É»âï¥|y—*3"3Ýûy.<w•¢…‚fŠlÑè!

Help!

-Jason

whoah
something is really screwed up.
- I would suggest that you untar the files again
- copy the files to admin and templates/admin again
- delete the install file (again)

then try it.
let meknow
-k

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”