[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
wineknow

Post by wineknow » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:10 pm

trackpads wrote: I looked in phpmyadmin, is the 'php_exe' filed where I should put it?

Thanks again,

-Jason

yes but, the settings page should not blow up -- it's just a form
- see my message in a previous reply on reinstalling.
-k

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:18 pm

I didnt see any reply about reinstalling so I zapped the tables and tried again, still no luck. They all explode.

thanks again,

-Jason

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:08 am

trackpads wrote: I didnt see any reply about reinstalling so I zapped the tables and tried again, still no luck. They all explode.

thanks again,

-Jason

can you delete the newssync dir/download the tar and install it one more time - it might not of untared completely....

-k

Brian Lucas

Post by Brian Lucas » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:11 pm

trackpads wrote: When I try to go to settings I get a jumble of code like this-

If it's any consolation, you're not crazy. Or if you are, at least you're not alone. My installation was working for a day or so, it was busily (but slowly!) synchronizing newsgroups, and then sometime in the last two hours, I started to experience the same problem that you described! I haven't figured out why yet -- neither the php files nor the templates appear to have been corrupted, I can open them in my text editor and they look fine. I even recopied the files from the original "copyto-" directories.

If I view source on the garbaged page, I see 226 lines of valid html first (in the styles declarations for the template), and then it degenerates when it gets to the body:

Code: Select all

<title>Travel-Library.com - </title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#E5E5E5" text="#000000" link="#006699" vlink="#5493B4">

<a name="top"></a>

?x++Z[wÝ6~?~-P+I+QÝi|ÝÝe§+9???+fTSDB"?T
+?6Ýÿ+_@??¥¬Ý+8&MEG2?Ýs+?§_]ý4ÝúeZ+++n~++y3A++úe-T\
¯\ÝA+f?a!3£+3?v:++-y=4Ý+?~??-?-+ªÝR$+++O?Ý
I'll look into it some more later, but I thought you'd like to know that you're not the only one with this problem.

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:21 pm

Brian Lucas wrote: If I view source on the garbaged page, I see 226 lines of valid html first (in the styles declarations for the template), and then it degenerates when it gets to the body:

I'll look into it some more later, but I thought you'd like to know that you're not the only one with this problem.

this is really weird and I have not yet been able to reproduce it.

1) does this happen with all newssync items in phpbb admin? or just settings?

2) since you got it working, I will assume that settings worked fine at first...right?

3) do any other items in phpbb admin screw up?

4) what version of php and phpbb are you running?

5) do you have the pseudo_cron.php stuff running from your common.php?

I am sure this will be easy to fix ONCE I know where to look.
-k

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:20 pm

wineknow wrote: 5) do you have the pseudo_cron.php stuff running from your common.php?

Wineknow, you made mention of this earlier (as it was left out of the Readme which you acknowledged) but no explaination on its implimentation or working was ever given so personally I have yet to try this.

What does pseudo_cron.php actually do and if this line is added to common.php should we turn off any cron assignments we have the old way?

Is there a setting for controlling this in the ACP somewhere that I am missing (as in how many times it runs per day, ect...) :?:

Sorry for the persistent questions about this but I'm just a bit nervous about setting this trigger w/o knowing its actual workings so I don't overload the server unknowingly thus getting a boot from my host :oops:

PS: So far I have yet to encounter the "garbled text in admin..." being described here but am only occasionally running the updates manually along with an automatic chron -1x a day via cpanel

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:30 pm

LaZeR wrote:
wineknow wrote:

Wineknow, you made mention of this earlier (as it was left out of the Readme which you acknowledged) but no explaination on its implimentation or working was ever given so personally I have yet to try this.

What does pseudo_cron.php actually do and if this line is added to common.php should we turn off any cron assignments we have the old way?

Is there a setting for controlling this in the ACP somewhere that I am missing (as in how many times it runs per day, ect...) :?:

Sorry for the persistent questions about this but I'm just a bit nervous about setting this trigger w/o knowing its actual workings so I don't overload the server unknowingly thus getting a boot from my host :oops:

PS: So far I have yet to encounter the "garbled text in admin..." being described here but am only occasionally running the updates manually along with an automatic chron -1x a day via cpanel

I am in the process up updating the README to properly describe the pseudo_cron.php file and what is it for... it will be included in BETA 2 (which will be out as soon as I address this garbled text issue)...but here is what I have on pseudo_cron.php:

CRON / Windows Scheduler
- once newssync is up and running, the best way is to run it from an automated process
- remember the permissions, so your CRON user must be able to see the directories AND have r/w access to the data directory

UNDER UNIX If CRON is NOT an option
- in the data directory, a file called newssync_pseudo_cron.php
- to install, edit common.php in your phpbb directory
- at the bottom, of these file - right before the ?> add the following line:
require_once("/mydir/newssync/data/newssync_pseudo_cron.php");
- this will kick off a newssync run every time someone visits your web site BUT will NOT run more than once per 10 minutes (by default).

-- hope this helps.
-k

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation. :wink:
wineknow wrote: - this will kick off a newssync run every time someone visits your web site BUT will NOT run more than once per 10 minutes (by default).

8O Is this a good thing though? What happens while its already running and maybe taking longer to finish on a given group, wouldn't there be a problem if it triggers constantly while a user is moving about the forums?

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:59 pm

LaZeR wrote: Thanks for the explanation. :wink:
wineknow wrote: - this will kick off a newssync run every time someone visits your web site BUT will NOT run more than once per 10 minutes (by default).

8O Is this a good thing though? What happens while its already running and maybe taking longer to finish on a given group, wouldn't there be a problem if it triggers constantly while a user is moving about the forums?

- oh, kicks off the syncing process in the BACKGROUND, so no user delay
- newssync itself does not startup every time - only the 5 lines of code that see if it is running. and if not and it is outside the 10min window is starts it up - in the background
- there were a bunch of folks using it for 1.0 as well -- I just included it in the distribution in 1.5.
- of course, if no-one visits your site, then it will never get updated...
- CRON is still the most reliable process

-k

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:10 pm

Makes even better sense now. I might give pseudo.... a try later just to test it. Currently am happy with running a cron on the server through my cpanel which seems to work fine but good idea for those w/o access to cron. :wink:

An unrelated note: I notice with this version, newly synced posts no longer showup in phpbb with the "New" icon - I guess this is because the date lists prior to a given user's last login. But before this version, any newly inserted post to the forum would trigger the "New" icon until the user read it once OR revisited - Just like normal phpbb posts. - Hope this makes sense :lol: Any way to change so ANY newly inserted post gets tagged as being new (not dependent on the date) :?:

Brian Lucas

Post by Brian Lucas » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:13 pm

wineknow wrote: 1) does this happen with all newssync items in phpbb admin? or just settings?

2) since you got it working, I will assume that settings worked fine at first...right?

3) do any other items in phpbb admin screw up?

4) what version of php and phpbb are you running?

1) The same thing happens on all newssync admin pages. The garbage is different with each one, but each one is garbage.

2) Yes, it worked initially, I was able to set it up. I have noticed that the "edit" functions on the management screen don't seem to work, they do the same thing as the "add newsgroup" button.

3) No, all phpbb admin items are fine, only the newssync items have a problem.

4) php 4.3.2, phpBB 2.0.5

5) No, I have not yet tried the pseudo_cron.

When I saw the problem this afternoon, I was connecting from my office PC; now that I am at home, it works fine when connecting from my home PC! I'll try to work on it more at this end.

I have noticed that the initial synchronization seems very slow when dealing with large newsgroups. I've only been running it for a couple of days so I haven't tested very thoroughly but my guess is that it gets slower the more articles there are on the news server?

By the way, I am *very* excited about newssync, I've been looking for something like this for a while.

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:08 pm

No joy at all here. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and the pages are still exploding. I also untar'd on the server and on my hard drive both and still no luck.

On another note I saw that you said the psuedo cron will work with the 1.05 version correct? So you have ay install instructions for it? I would really apprecaite it.

Thanks again for working on this,

-Jason

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Any new word yet on this version? I'm now convinced myself that things just aren't working properly after running this awhile now, my cron constantly reports back timeout error or something so I turned it off. Even when manually syncing, it seems to hang around the 1st message reported being retrieved. I've purged and restarted trying different groups but anymore its acting pretty much the same rarely ever progressing past that first message listed in the console-status and having a rough time killing the script also when this happens as STOP never has seemed to do anything and eventually pressing RESTART and waiting 5 minutes then ususally repeating will give a message about the lock file being reset and finally it will say 'not running' and stop refreshing.

Another thing when it did work, I was getting very odd reports in the Posts within topics report for ANY newsync forum.

Example, It would say 828 with 3 when there would simply be just 3 topics with no replies. :?

Pretty much just shut it off for now awaiting an update... :wink:

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:04 pm

LaZeR wrote: Any new word yet on this version? I'm now convinced myself that things just aren't working properly after running this awhile now, my cron constantly reports back timeout error or something so I turned it off. Even when manually syncing, it seems to hang around the 1st message reported being retrieved. I've purged and restarted trying different groups but anymore its acting pretty much the same rarely ever progressing past that first message listed in the console-status and having a rough time killing the script also when this happens as STOP never has seemed to do anything and eventually pressing RESTART and waiting 5 minutes then ususally repeating will give a message about the lock file being reset and finally it will say 'not running' and stop refreshing.

Another thing when it did work, I was getting very odd reports in the Posts within topics report for ANY newsync forum.

Example, It would say 828 with 3 when there would simply be just 3 topics with no replies. :?

Pretty much just shut it off for now awaiting an update... :wink:

- sorry I have not built out a new beta yet (things are crazy at work)
- I am still trying to track down the GUI bug that causes the pages to be scrambled -- ok binary --
- as for the stuff you report -- weird. I am running the same version on wineknow.com and I am not having this problem...it is really hard to fix bugs when I can't duplicate them...
- will look into these issues too.
-k

Brian Lucas

Post by Brian Lucas » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:28 pm

I was running newssync.php from my crontab, synchronizing a set of about ten newsgroups. At first I ran it every 15 minutes but my ISP complained that there were multiple instances running. (Shouldn't it abort when it sees the lock file?) Then I set it to run only once per hour, but my ISP complained again that the process "is eating all available memory and locking up a number of services." They have asked me not to run it, unless I can figure out how to cap its resource usage. I guess I will start by looking into the memory_limit setting, but I thought you might be interested in this info.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”