[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:32 pm

LaZeR wrote: Even when manually syncing, it seems to hang around the 1st message reported being retrieved. I've purged and restarted trying different groups but anymore its acting pretty much the same rarely ever progressing past that first message

I did a dumb move. :oops: The other day while doing some further modifying to my board, decided it would be slick to change my version showed from the field in: $board_config['version'] to display .0.3x instead of .0.3 :oops: since I have applied many of the security fixes and such from later phpbb versions on my heavily modded board.

Well needless to say this was a no-no. After digging through the included functions_insert_post.php and realising there was a version switch/check in there when it gets to search_words which sure enough didn't like my 'special' version :lol:

I'll be leaving that alone from now on. Back to .0.3

Oh, yea.. After that things seem to be chugging along nicely again with newssync. Havn't re-fired the chron yet but pretty sure that part never worked for me yet - Probably still something to do with the line I'm using and permissions... One of these days I'll test that psuedo method I guess. :roll:

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:29 am

Where are the instructions for the psuedo cron?

Thanks!

-Jason

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:04 am

LaZeR wrote: Another thing when it did work, I was getting very odd reports in the Posts within topics report for ANY newsync forum.

Example, It would say 828 with 3 when there would simply be just 3 topics with no replies. :?

I have cured this problem after discovering when completly cleaning out one of my newsync forums of all posts that there was a couple hundred entries for the forum_id # in question left over in the phpbb_topics table so I ran a little Delete Where Forum ID = xxx bit and cured that problem - Verified after a 'Resync' later in the Forum-Managements. And now topics/replies figures all match up. :D

All I can figure is this happened somewhere along the line between either upgrading to this current 'beta' or my many attempts @ running sync before I found the search function / phpbb version problem described in my prior post :roll:

:oops: Now I'm just wondering what other tables may be retaining useless data like posts_texts, ect... and I'm not really sure how to check all this but no biggie I guess because all is currently well again. :lol:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:21 am

Oh almost forgot. I think it would be a good idea for future release(s) to define the _newsync table to prefix with the forums prefix in constants thus making more standard AND even more important including those tables in the ACP report panel for the overall DB size. :wink:

tekguru

Post by tekguru » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:52 pm

Hi guys, silly question time..... I'm trying to install which looks relatively simple, but on entering the absolute path to newssync I get an invalid path not found error.

The website is www.tekguru.co.uk, with the newssync files in /phpBB2/newssync.

Paths I've tried are:

www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/newssync
/phpBB2/newssync
/newssync
phpBB2/newssync
newssync

All to no avail - am I missing the obvious?

Brian Lucas

Post by Brian Lucas » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:09 pm

tekguru wrote: on entering the absolute path to newssync I get an invalid path not found error.

You need the complete path from your filesystem root, not just the path starting at your web root. I just looked at your web site and the error message that I got revealed your web root: your complete path appears to be "/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/newssync".

tekguru

Post by tekguru » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:56 am

Cheers for the tip, just tried this with no difference at all - same error I'm afraid. It's not easy to check as my host is half way round the globe.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:26 am

[edit] I noticed this in the install file...

Code: Select all

// TODO FIND WHERE THIS IS SET
		$dbms = 'mysql';

$dbms is set in the config.php file, you can also use SQL_LAYER which is defined in the relevant db class file when the $db is initialised based on what is set in the config file.

p.s. there is no sign of the pseudo_cron stuff in the available downloads.

before edit netclectic wrote: Just checking in, i seem to have missed the fact that this was here. Look forward to trying the latest version :)
Defend the game:

wineknow

update -- for version 1.5.0 beta 2

Post by wineknow » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:48 am

folks,
things have been crazy at work, so my bandwidth on newssync is less that I would have liked but, I have been making a few important changes for beta 2

- fixed a number of problems with adding new messages where replies were not being put under topics - things should work a lot better for everyone
- once I track down I more issue in the add new messages, I will call it a day and post beta 2
- also fixed the reported cosmetic problems
- will address the mysql thang that netclectic reported (thanks)
- fixed a GMT date problem
- updated the readme - even though is was updated before the file got corrupt in beta 1 :(

- I STILL have been unable to reproduce the "binary-goo" that is being reported in the admin pages after installation -- so I am not sure what the heck is going on there...if someone would be willing to give me tmp access to their phpbb (and ftp for editing code) - I SHOULD be able to track things down quite quickly.....otherwise, I will keep trying to reproduce it...

I would expect to have beta 2 out over this weekend.

-k

btw: netclectic the pseudo_cron file is not part of the distribution -- it is autogenerated when you edit your settings...

netclectic
Former Team Member

Re: update -- for version 1.5.0 beta 2

Post by netclectic » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:10 am

wineknow wrote: btw: netclectic the pseudo_cron file is not part of the distribution -- it is autogenerated when you edit your settings...

Ah, that clears that up then, Cheers! :)
Defend the game:

wineknow

beta 2 now available...

Post by wineknow » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:24 am

see first post for details....
Since I changed a lot of code in detecting new messages with proper topic and reply, I would recommend that you PURGE your synced forum -- when you feel comfortable beta 2 is working....

-k

trackpads

Post by trackpads » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:44 am

wineknow,

I am more than happy to let you in on my system to try and reproduce that problem with the form exploding. Anything I can do to help.

Thanks again for this work!!! A+ Job,

-Jason

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:49 am

Just a couple early observations/issues with Beta 2 on my setup.

First the following error returned (Again) when accessing newssync in the ACP:

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /home/lazer/public_html/phpbb/admin/newssync_header.php on line 43

I remembered what I did before to resolve and sure enough it resolved this time also by removing the following from file: newssync_header.php

Code: Select all

//
// gzip_compression
//
$do_gzip_compress = FALSE;
if ( $board_config['gzip_compress'] )
{
	$phpver = phpversion();

$useragent = (isset($_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]) ) ? $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] : $HTTP_USER_AGENT;

if ( $phpver >= '4.0.4pl1' && ( strstr($useragent,'compatible') || strstr($useragent,'Gecko') ) )
	{
		if ( extension_loaded('zlib') )
		{
			ob_start('ob_gzhandler');
		}
	}
	else if ( $phpver > '4.0' )
	{
		if ( strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip') )
		{
			if ( extension_loaded('zlib') )
			{
				$do_gzip_compress = TRUE;
				ob_start();
				ob_implicit_flush(0);

header('Content-Encoding: gzip');
			}
		}
	}
}
Note: I do run with Gzip enabled on my forums/server... And I'm pretty sure this same exact code is in another file already.

Another little problem I fixed. I followed your directions and changed the CHMOD to 666 from 777 (which I previously had) to the phpbb/newsync/data DIR but that didn't go over to well. :oops: Hell I couldn't even read or open that DIR anymore on ftp NOR did newsync console ever want to run until I returned the permissions to 777 here. 8O

So far nothing else to add. I purged all my newssync forums as suggested before upgrading all the files with b2 release and I ran the 2 SQLs mentioned for update. Syncing away currently as I write this. Will report back w/ any other observations. Thanks

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:33 pm

LaZeR wrote: Just a couple early observations/issues with Beta 2 on my setup.

First the following error returned (Again) when accessing newssync in the ACP:

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /home/lazer/public_html/phpbb/admin/newssync_header.php on line 43

- Let me look into this...
LaZeR wrote: Another little problem I fixed. I followed your directions and changed the CHMOD to 666 from 777 (which I previously had) to the phpbb/newsync/data DIR but that didn't go over to well. :oops: Hell I couldn't even read or open that DIR anymore on ftp NOR did newsync console ever want to run until I returned the permissions to 777 here. 8O

- crap - sorry yes 777

Trinity

Post by Trinity » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:36 pm

Any idea how to get this working on windows machines running Apache? The directions included in this MOD aren't very good - any chance of getting them in standard phpBB MOD format?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”