[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
pozmu

Re: [RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

Post by pozmu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Why do you say so? Is there any other Usenet gateway mod for phpBB???

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Yes, already up to NewsSync 1.5.2 at our site

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 pm

JLA wrote:Yes, already up to NewsSync 1.5.2 at our site
Hi All

what is the status of NewsSync, is there a phpBB3 version, will there be a phpBB3 version?

If not, does anyone have the latest source so i can look at porting it to phpBB3 and adding spamassasin support to it?

Puggs

JLA

Post by JLA » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Puggs wrote:
Hi All

what is the status of NewsSync, is there a phpBB3 version, will there be a phpBB3 version?

If not, does anyone have the latest source so i can look at porting it to phpBB3 and adding spamassasin support to it?

Puggs
Newssync is currently up to 1.5.2 with 1.5.3 pending release later this month.

The last publically available version was 1.5.0 - Release Candidate 6 and is no longer available at the original author's site. Also this version has a weakness that can be exploited where this mod is used with a phpbb nuke site (see earlier in the thread)

We have no current plans to port this to PHPBB3 as we are not moving our site to the PHPBB3 version of the software..

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 pm

JLA wrote:
Puggs wrote:
Hi All

Puggs

The last publically available version was 1.5.0 - Release Candidate 6 and is no longer available at the original author's site. Also this version has a weakness that can be exploited where this mod is used with a phpbb nuke site (see earlier in the thread)

We have no current plans to port this to PHPBB3 as we are not moving our site to the PHPBB3 version of the software..
Hi Thanks for the response,

Where can i find the current version and the next version?

Also do you mind if i try converting it to phpBB3? I'm in the process of changing 2 of my sites over to phpBB3, mostly because i want the experices of writting phpBB3 intergration.

Puggs

Aces

Post by Aces » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 am

Puggs wrote:
JLA wrote:
Puggs wrote:
Hi All

Puggs

Hi Thanks for the response,

Where can i find the current version and the next version?

Also do you mind if i try converting it to phpBB3? I'm in the process of changing 2 of my sites over to phpBB3, mostly because i want the experices of writting phpBB3 intergration.

Puggs
JLA has their own version which they appear to have done some work on which no one else has access to. I don't think it has anything to do with them if you want to port it. The orginal author seems to have totally abandoned it.

If you want the last original release get in touch... It would be great to have it adapted for phpbb3 especially if the result was publicly available...

Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Post by Jackanape » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 am

I'd be happy to contribute to such a project in any way I can...beta testing, etc. I believe JLA has been developing this as a pay project, and using the forums as a launching pad for this, so you are unlikely to ever see anything beyond the original version. I, too, may have one kicking around somewhere, if it is needed.

Please keep me posted!
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:48 am

Jackanape wrote:I'd be happy to contribute to such a project in any way I can...beta testing, etc. I believe JLA has been developing this as a pay project, and using the forums as a launching pad for this, so you are unlikely to ever see anything beyond the original version. I, too, may have one kicking around somewhere, if it is needed.

Please keep me posted!
Hi

Ok, it looks like some people are interested in this, so i guess i should look into it.

I am in the process of converting some scripts that i wrote for phpBB2 so the will work on phpBB3 (eg. user intergration). This will help me understand phpBB3 but will take a few weeks.

Targets;
1. Get working as is with phpBB3.
2. Summary emails with Recieved / Sent posts (so you can check for spam).
3. Use of spamassasin to filter spam posts.
4. Other as requested by phpBB community.

Regards Puggs.

ps. Forum Mod, maybe this should be slit off into the phpBB3 Mod Dev Area.

JLA

Post by JLA » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 am

Puggs wrote:
Jackanape wrote:I'd be happy to contribute to such a project in any way I can...beta testing, etc. I believe JLA has been developing this as a pay project, and using the forums as a launching pad for this, so you are unlikely to ever see anything beyond the original version. I, too, may have one kicking around somewhere, if it is needed.

Please keep me posted!
Hi

Ok, it looks like some people are interested in this, so i guess i should look into it.

I am in the process of converting some scripts that i wrote for phpBB2 so the will work on phpBB3 (eg. user intergration). This will help me understand phpBB3 but will take a few weeks.

Targets;
1. Get working as is with phpBB3.
2. Summary emails with Recieved / Sent posts (so you can check for spam).
3. Use of spamassasin to filter spam posts.
4. Other as requested by phpBB community.

Regards Puggs.

ps. Forum Mod, maybe this should be slit off into the phpBB3 Mod Dev Area.
You might want just want to start your own phpbb3 newssync topic in the phpbb3 sections. That way any support and possible future development discussion for the phpbb2 version can continue on in this thread.

JLA

Post by JLA » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:25 am

Please keep me posted!
We at present have no plans to offer our version of newssync as a pay project. We have released version 1.5.2 to a release group of some handpicked testers/sites. We are willing to provide some support of the last pubic release in this thread for Windows users only and other platforms in sections of the code where the OS is not relevant. At some point in time we might choose to release a future version of newssync beyond our release group to the general public.

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:02 am

JLA wrote:
Puggs wrote:ps. Forum Mod, maybe this should be slit off into the phpBB3 Mod Dev Area.
You might want just want to start your own phpbb3 newssync topic in the phpbb3 sections. That way any support and possible future development discussion for the phpbb2 version can continue on in this thread.
You can find the NewsSync 2.0 for phpBB3 topic at http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=682055

Puggs

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”