[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
npereira

Post by npereira » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:31 pm

in the instructions, it talks about the sync:
- at the bottom, of these file - right before the ?> add the following line:
require_once("/mydir/newssync/data/newssync_pseudo_cron.php");
- this will kick off a newssync run every time someone visits your web site BUT will NOT
run more than once per 10 minutes (by default)

Is there a way to make default from 10 minutes to 3 minutes?

I want the users to be up to date from the usenet news group!
Regards,

Nelson

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:26 pm

npereira wrote: in the instructions, it talks about the sync:
- at the bottom, of these file - right before the ?> add the following line:
require_once("/mydir/newssync/data/newssync_pseudo_cron.php");
- this will kick off a newssync run every time someone visits your web site BUT will NOT
run more than once per 10 minutes (by default)

Is there a way to make default from 10 minutes to 3 minutes?

I want the users to be up to date from the usenet news group!

keep in mind that usenet is 'delayed' by nature; but if you want to increase it, you need to edit the pseudo_cron.php file and change the timeout parameter from 10 to 3.
if you change your global settings, the pseudo_cron.php file gets re-generated and you will have to make the above edit again.
(I will move this so it is more configurable in the future)
-k

basketforum

Post by basketforum » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:54 pm

basketforum wrote: I have a phpbb installation

my provider says that the path is /home/USERNAME/public_html

So I use

/home/USERNAME/public_html/newssync

AND

/home/USERNAME/public_html/test206

(test206 is where phpbb is installed)

Replace USERNAME with your login name (what I do :wink: )

but I alwaysget "Invalid directory path"

runnig PHP Version 4.3.2 on a Linux machine

I have still problems with it!
Last edited by basketforum on Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

npereira

Post by npereira » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:01 pm

Ok,

now this is weird.

I installed newssync on another site, everything whent well, although when I try to run a sync manualy, the window say NewsSync startup complete, click here to continue. but then you click on continue and then it says NewsSync is currently not running

What's up woith that? I cannot get a sync to start !?!?!?!?!
Regards,

Nelson

npereira

Post by npereira » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:30 pm

HO !

This is interesting,

I had to do a wget on http://mydomain.com/newssync/newssync.php > /dev/nul

and now it's starting to sync!
Regards,

Nelson

npereira

Post by npereira » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:39 pm

I guess now there's another problem..... I cannot stop the sync ! :twisted:

This thing is totaly screwed up. I have no way to stop the SYNC ! ! !

Anyway to force it to stop?
Regards,

Nelson

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:00 pm

npereira wrote: Ok,

now this is weird.

I installed newssync on another site, everything whent well, although when I try to run a sync manualy, the window say NewsSync startup complete, click here to continue. but then you click on continue and then it says NewsSync is currently not running

What's up woith that? I cannot get a sync to start !?!?!?!?!

check to make sure that in settings php executable is listed
under unix it is typically "/usr/bin/php"

I was just adding a test and message for this issue.

-k

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:02 pm

npereira wrote: HO !

This is interesting,

I had to do a wget on http://mydomain.com/newssync/newssync.php > /dev/nul

and now it's starting to sync!

to stop, cancel the WGET.

also, there is a reason why this says BETA.

-k

wineknow

update on beta 3

Post by wineknow » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 pm

been making a number of improvements on messaging and fixing various bugs.

note beta 3 is not available yet...

-- removed the dependancy on a seperate header template (newssync_header.php, .tpl) in admin pages (it was causing problems)
---- this could have been why some HTML was a screwed up for some ffolks
-- fixed max message size to be in Kb (it was actually in bytes) -- the default is now 50
-- changed default inactivity wait to 60 minutes - which in large message processing can cause problems
---- this should fix the newssync multiple processing...
-- CHANGED SCHEMA for table newssync_config to be more in line with phpbb config table
-- added the creation of a go-newssync (or go-newssync.bat) for easier CRON-ing and Windows Scheduling
-- install file no longer has to be deleted after install or upgrade.
-- renamed Console to Status
-- error checking and displaying of error messages when running NewsSync from Status area.
-- Added pseudo_cron options within Global settings.
-- re-wrote a lot of the pseudo_cron stuff

the last thing that I want to fix for beta 3 is to see what is wrong with running under windows, which will probably take a few days...as I first have to install php, mysql and phpbb and then start debugging newssync on it...

-k

npereira

Post by npereira » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:33 pm

is there another way to start and stop the sync?

I tried the edit common.php file, that wont start the first sync.

By doing the wget, it starts, but then I cannot stop it anymore, or at least I don't know how. Keep in mine, that I don't have root access, just ssh as a client access.

I don't understand that all worked good on my test site, but on this one, nothing does. They are both on the same server, just different path.

Let me know!
Regards,

Nelson

npereira

Post by npereira » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:03 pm

Ok, I installed version 1.0.5 and everything looks fine up to now.
I setup a cron job calling a shell script setup to wget the ../forum/newssync/newssync.php

Setup the cron job every 2 minutes and all looks good.

I'm trying to find the changelog between this version and the newer beta to find out what could be the issues I could see with 1.0.5

Only 1 thing, in the newssync-grouplist.txt, what is the setup so that the sync happens both-ways?

I have removed 1.5b2 because there was an issue on my setup about the sync not stoping on it's own and not being able to start it from the ACP. Anyway, this is a beta so these things are bound to happen.

What I don't understand is that it worked great on my test site but not my production site. Oh well....! 1.0.5 seems to be working stable enough for me to use it on my production server. I will keep pounding on the beta site to help out in the debuging of version 1.5.X
Regards,

Nelson

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:47 pm

Hello.

I would like to ask a couple of things as I have several times decided to have some kind of a newsfeed on my forum but never got so far with it..

1. Does this mod allow you to set up a newsfeed system on an existing forum then?

2. There are several such mods around, so do they all do the same thing in a similar way? For instance, the Moreover news and netclectic's FIND and so forth... I have no idea how or what to choose! This area (and probably the RPG/point/shop/bank mods!) are the fields I know the least about but sounds the most interesting to set up!

3. This CRON JOB which is required.. does it mean that I have to have shell access to the server root to do it? My forum will be hosted by a third party so does that mean that I'm screwed?!

4. Is this mod somehow compatible with some "fetch.post" script out there so that one could get the news headlines out to a portal?

Sorry for my newbie questions, but I figure I should start somewhere to get a better clue of this one..

Many thx in advance!

/Carpe Diem

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:54 pm

For the record... this mod is for integrating nntp based news within your forums while the Moreover mod and my own FIND mod are for RSS/RDF xml newsfeeds. There's quite a difference ;)
Defend the game:

npereira

Post by npereira » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:01 am

Carpe Diem wrote: Hello.

I would like to ask a couple of things as I have several times decided to have some kind of a newsfeed on my forum but never got so far with it..

1. Does this mod allow you to set up a newsfeed system on an existing forum then?

Yes it does, either you tie it to an existing forum or add a new one simply for the Usenet Newsfeed
2. There are several such mods around, so do they all do the same thing in a similar way? For instance, the Moreover news and netclectic's FIND and so forth... I have no idea how or what to choose! This area (and probably the RPG/point/shop/bank mods!) are the fields I know the least about but sounds the most interesting to set up!

NewsSync is a very good software (although still in Beta). It allows you so post and reply to newsfeed directly from your forum. Other BB`s have similar functions although with NewsSync being a mod to PhpBB, this is a far better and will be more reliable then others (my personal opinion).
3. This CRON JOB which is required.. does it mean that I have to have shell access to the server root to do it? My forum will be hosted by a third party so does that mean that I'm screwed?!

Absolutly not, I have restricted shell access to my providers server, and can either create it via the command prompt or via the cPanel most WebProvider provide.

There is another way to do this is to insert a line of code at the bottom to the common.php file which will trigger a sync each time a user gets to your BB and only if that the last sync is older than 10 minutes by default.

I have it setup via a shell script called via a cron job. The line in the shell script is wget http://www.mydomain.com/newssync/newssync.php
4. Is this mod somehow compatible with some "fetch.post" script out there so that one could get the news headlines out to a portal?
I have no idea about that.
Sorry for my newbie questions, but I figure I should start somewhere to get a better clue of this one..

Many thx in advance!

/Carpe Diem

Hope my response cleared some issues you had.
Regards,

Nelson

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:19 am

netclectic wrote: For the record... this mod is for integrating nntp based news within your forums while the Moreover mod and my own FIND mod are for RSS/RDF xml newsfeeds. There's quite a difference ;)

Well yes I understand that, but to put it simply, the only difference is really what kind of a news type (or shall I say news source) the different mods manage to feed into a forum, am I correct? The idea remains the same though as I understand.. meaning that all of them allow phpbb to receive some kind of a newsfeed into it, regardless if that happens to be from the Usenet Groups (like this mod) or a "real" news headline feeder (like your FIND mod)... right??
npereira wrote: Hope my response cleared some issues you had.
Yes it did indeed, thank you! It seems very helpful... and it's totally customizable in regard to what subjects in the Usenet you would like to feed in I guess??! or you just subscribe to the desired groups perhaps...

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”