[RC] NewsSync 1.5.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:21 am

Carpe Diem wrote: Well yes I understand that, but to put it simply, the only difference is really what kind of a news type (or shall I say news source) the different mods manage to feed into a forum, am I correct? The idea remains the same though as I understand.. meaning that all of them allow phpbb to receive some kind of a newsfeed into it, regardless if that happens to be from the Usenet Groups (like this mod) or a "real" news headline feeder (like your FIND mod)... right??

In essence, yes. Although, this also allows replies to the posts in the forums to be fed back into the newsgroup as replies to the original topic in the newsgroup.
Defend the game:

npereira

Post by npereira » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:03 am

Ok I`ve reinstalled 1.5B2 and everything is ok..

I got a quick question, in the forum category view, how can I make it so a line shows up under the newsgroup forum to tell user when the last update was performed?

there is an option under the newssync settings that says
Add status to forum description
Update forum description from info from last NewsSync run

it´s enabled but does not show up in the forums description.
Do I need to add a line of code somewhere?
Regards,

Nelson

tareone

Post by tareone » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:52 am

I managed to install newssync, but i get this nntp error every time i try to use it:
Aug 24 10:43:43 am NewsSync for phpBB 1.5.0 beta 2
Aug 24 10:43:43 am © Copyright 2003 Cooler Climate | www.coolerclimate.com
Aug 24 10:43:43 am Syncing: usenet:sfnet.harrastus.retkeily with phpBB:sfnet.ha...
Aug 24 10:43:43 am -- syncronization mode:
Aug 24 10:43:43 am -- connected to news.easynews.com:119
Aug 24 10:43:43 am - NNTP ERROR: connection error
Aug 24 10:43:43 am - NNTP ERROR: connection failed
Aug 24 10:43:43 am -- Unrecoverable Error with nntp server...skipping newsgroup
Aug 24 10:43:43 am ** Update Complete

I have tried many nntp servers and it still don't work... Is there a easy way to test if the problem is my ISP?

tareone

Post by tareone » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:30 pm

Ok! I solved the problem. My ISP's firewall blocks nntp-server requests... :(

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:34 pm

npereira wrote: Ok I`ve reinstalled 1.5B2 and everything is ok..

I got a quick question, in the forum category view, how can I make it so a line shows up under the newsgroup forum to tell user when the last update was performed?

there is an option under the newssync settings that says
Add status to forum description
Update forum description from info from last NewsSync run

it´s enabled but does not show up in the forums description.
Do I need to add a line of code somewhere?

you don't need to add any code, just set it to Yes
-k

circusnews

PHP-Nuke install problem

Post by circusnews » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:47 am

I love the idea of newssync. I want to use it to add a few circus related newsgroups to circusnews.com. I am useing PHP-Nuke 6.5, with the included version of phpBB (phpBB 2.0.2 I think, though I am not 100% sure of that, as it also lists versions 2.0.4 and 2.0.6 in the credits).

Anyways, I unpacked the module (1.5beta2) into all of the correct directories (sub dir of the Fourms module), set the permissions and tried to run the install script. I received an error about the script not finding the file functions_selects.php.

After a little bit of searching I found the file in /html/includes/ and made a few attempts to get it to locate the file. No joy. OK, no problem. I went into the script and replaced the line in question with the location of the file. The initial error went away, but the scripts seem to fail without any further error (just gives me a blank phpBB admin screen). Hmmm.

Well, I see that 1.5beta3 is out. I deleted the partially created database tables, delete all beta2 files, and untar beta3 into place. I am now getting the following error again:

Code: Select all

Warning: Failed opening './../includes/functions_selects.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php') in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/modules/Forums/admin/admin_newssync_install.php on line 47
I have tried placing this in the /html/modules directory as well, but I get the same error.

Now, I could change this to the proper file location easily enough, but I am assuming that other files also need to be changed. What else do I need to change to make it work?

P.S. circusnews uses mysql, but I also have a server with PostgreSQL if you wanted to use if for testing.

tareone

Post by tareone » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:43 am

My ISP opened nntp-connection for me, but still "- NNTP ERROR: connection error"...

npereira

Post by npereira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:46 pm

wineknow wrote: you don't need to add any code, just set it to Yes
-k

I had some stuff in the description from a previous install, and that's why it would not show up. I had to delete everything in the description. Now it shows up.

Thanks...
Regards,

Nelson

npereira

Post by npereira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:49 pm

tareone wrote: My ISP opened nntp-connection for me, but still "- NNTP ERROR: connection error"...

Telnet to your news server. See if that works.

Does you ISP request a username and password to log in to the NNTP server? If so, you will need to add that.
Regards,

Nelson

npereira

Post by npereira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:31 pm

Just installed B3,

Question:

When generating the pseudo_cron file, where is the Minimum time between NewsSync runs recorded? because it does not show up in the go-newssync file!
Regards,

Nelson

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:31 pm

npereira wrote:
tareone wrote:My ISP opened nntp-connection for me, but still "- NNTP ERROR: connection error"...

Telnet to your news server. See if that works.

Does you ISP request a username and password to log in to the NNTP server? If so, you will need to add that.

if you can connect, telnet you.news.server 119

to make sure that port 119 is open

also, pre-beta 3 there was a small bug where when you first added the nntp server to newssync it "forgot" to save the userid/password.
so, if you have user/password, you should NewsSync/Management, and edit the nntp server settings to re-enter the userid/password too.

beta 3 fixed this bug.
-k

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:38 pm

npereira wrote: Just installed B3,

Question:

When generating the pseudo_cron file, where is the Minimum time between NewsSync runs recorded? because it does not show up in the go-newssync file!

it is but multiplied by 60 to be in seconds.
-k

npereira

Post by npereira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:11 pm

wineknow wrote:
npereira wrote:Just installed B3,

Question:

-k

Where is the variable stored?

Also, this go-newssync does not seem to work for me.
I called is from the Cron Job in the cPanel and nothing happens.

What about this pseudo-newssync-cron file that was in B2? It no longuer gets created?
Regards,

Nelson

wineknow

Post by wineknow » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:48 pm

npereira wrote:
wineknow wrote:
npereira wrote:Just installed B3,

Question:

-k

Where is the variable stored?

Also, this go-newssync does not seem to work for me.
I called is from the Cron Job in the cPanel and nothing happens.

What about this pseudo-newssync-cron file that was in B2? It no longuer gets created?

I store that actual number in the newssync_config table in the db
pseudo-cron should be automatically created when you edit the newssync settings -- I am going to clean that up in b4, for b3 just edit your settings and click submit and it should be created.

As for the go-newssync, make sure it can be run from the command line first...

-k

npereira

Post by npereira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:09 pm

wineknow wrote: I store that actual number in the newssync_config table in the db
pseudo-cron should be automatically created when you edit the newssync settings -- I am going to clean that up in b4, for b3 just edit your settings and click submit and it should be created.

As for the go-newssync, make sure it can be run from the command line first...

-k

I guess I have no permission to run that file.

jailshell-2.05a$ sh go-newssync
go-newssync: go-newssync: Permission denied
jailshell-2.05a$

What can I do?

And to reiterate, the pseudo cron file DOES NOT get created when I redo the settings. the /data is 777
Regards,

Nelson

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”