[RC] Post Display Order

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Toripy

good mod!

Post by Toripy »

I love this mod! Thank you! :D
ElectricBlues

Post by ElectricBlues »

Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with phpbb 2.0.11?

Also, has anyone actually used EasyMod to install this? When I upload it to my mods directory, it does show up as an option but does not show the "EasyMod Compatible" icon.

In the provided code there are a couple of instruction lines missing the space after the directive (i.e. [ IN-LINE FIND] ). Don't know if this is an issue for the auto install, but the phpBB2 MOD validator tool in the Mods section throws them out as errors. I made the corrections on my copy but still no "EasyMod Compatible" stamp of approval. Below is the section of code with the errors.

--------<snip>------------

$params = array('coppa', 'user_id', 'username', 'email', 'current_email', 'cur_password', 'new_password',
#
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND]-------------------------------------
#
'style',
#
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD]-------------------------------------
#
'sortorder',

---<snip>------------

This is just what I'm looking for, thanks!
ElectricBlues

Post by ElectricBlues »

Well.... I'm not known for my patience, so I tried installing this mod into phpbb 2.0.11 with EasyMod.

After a few minor corrections in the code, the mod installed with no errors and works well. The sort function seems to work correctly under all condtions tested.

To fix the errors in the code as provided above:
1. Search for "FIND]" and replace with "FIND ]", Search for "ADD]" and replace with "ADD ]" (one instance of each, add a space between the "D" and the "]" as reported in my previous post)
2. Search for "&&" and replace with "&nbsp;&nbsp;" (two instances - original code causes display of "&&" in admin and user control panels)

A couple of questions:
1. This mod calls for editing only language/engish/lang_main.php. However, EasyMod modified lang_main.php in ALL of the Language folders. Is this expected behavior?

2. After applying this mod, the sort order for unregistered guests is still oldest first. I'd like to change this to newest first. Will Geocater's post_sort_order_102.mod (allows admin setting of default order) work on top of Warmweer's, or will they clash? If so, is there another way to do it?

Thanks to Warmweer for this great mod! It's just what the doctor ordered, and it should be made a standard component of the next revision of phpbb, along with the option for admin to set the default for unregistered guests.
aknatn

Post by aknatn »

I am wondering the same. I have installed geocaters mod and it works great, but can I use this mod too. I need my users to be able to set their own default sort order, but I don't to mess with this if it is going to clash with what I have already. Thanks in advance.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ElectricBlues wrote: Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with phpbb 2.0.11?

Well? I've used it from 2.0.5 through very version up to 2.0.11 (also on other forums).

The version 0.0.3 posted higher by myself is the version modified (not by myself) for Easymod (which I don't use). It's possible that in copying the code here the mod won't be validated by the online validator anymore (spaces, tabs, whatever).

As for the errors mentioned

Code: Select all

1. Search for "FIND]" and replace with "FIND ]", Search for "ADD]" and replace with "ADD ]" .....
Something must have gone wrong when copying from here because the spaces are clearly there.

2. Search for "&&" and replace with "&nbsp;&nbsp;" (two instances - original code causes display of "&&" in admin and user control panels) 
Same thing, looks like this was copied into an html editor and saved as such.

As for the questions:
1. This mod calls for editing only language/engish/lang_main.php. However, EasyMod modified lang_main.php in ALL of the Language folders. Is this expected behavior?

I don't think Easymod changes language files other than the english files(but I may be wrong). However, if your board uses other languages, then yes, changes to the other language files are necessary.
2. After applying this mod, the sort order for unregistered guests is still oldest first. I'd like to change this to newest first.

That's version 0.0.3
My 1.0.0 used newest first as a default. This involves changing the last 0 in

$sortorder = ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['sortorder']) ) ? ( ($HTTP_POST_VARS['sortorder']) ? TRUE : 0 ) : 0;
to 1 (more than one instance)
Just going of memory here and after having a quick look at the code posted I think those are the only changes.
Will Geocater's post_sort_order_102.mod (allows admin setting of default order) work on top of Warmweer's, or will they clash? If so, is there another way to do it?

That's a tricky question :) :wink:
I haven't looked at geocator's mod so I don't know which parts have been changed. I suspect that there shouldn't be any conflict however when applying both mods you'ld have to decide which sortorder takes preference (since my mod leaves the choice up to the user but geocator's lets the admin define a sortorder per forum. You can't have it both ways. The code order will decide which sortorder has prevalence.

It would actually be a nice integration of both mods: users could choose the sortorder on a per forum basis, admin has a default sortorder per forum and can override the user's choice if he/she so decides (again on a per forum basis).
This would involve some extensive remodeling though: a new table with combination user/forum/sortorder, and another field in the forums table (forum defaultorder / admin overide yes or no). Don't fortget that users have to be able to input their sortorder also (a new tpl?) I'm probably forgetting something anyway.

Just on a side note, as far as I can see phpbb 2.2 will include something similar to my mod( and certainly better coded) so I'm not really following this up any more (the mod can be used and adapted by anybody) or planning on developing this any further.
However I will try to find my version 1.0.0 and post it here (default = newest first). I will answer questions here if necessary (I'll read the code properly when I have the time).

Finally, I'm glad some users actually use it and like it. I myself have reverted back to the default oldest first option.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
vkaryl

Post by vkaryl »

warmweer, I'd really like to see your version 1.0. Default = newest post is exactly waht I need. I was using Adam Ismay's version from several years back, but it's not working with 2.0.11....
Life itself comes with no guarantees, much less FORUM SOFTWARE....

Best hosting ever! Reasonable though not free: Ace of Space
Please tell Sharon that Silvermoon/Vkaryl sent you so I get some free time! (VERY important with 5+ domains!)
AlannaV

Post by AlannaV »

Worked for me, so far. Great work!! Just so you know, though, you have two ampersands (&&) instead of nonbreaking space strings in your code for the template..
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I've been busy (with other things) but finally found the old code (on an old PC).

Although I would prefer removing the code for 0.0.3 (just gets me confused), I'll leave it up to the moderators to remove it if they think it's best to.

Another note (not mentioned in de mod instructions) is that I only know of this mod being used with MySQL (as far as I know it has not been tested by anyone with anything else)

the && mentioned earlier (in version 0.0.3) is probably due to copying and automatic replacing of &nbsp;&nbsp; (perhaps even my fault). In the code posted below it should display correctly.

Warning : I compared this code to what I have on my board and it's pretty similar (yes I use the word similar) so it should be correct (fingers crossed), however there are extensive changes on my board and I would really have to install this again on a fresh board just to make sure. If all goes well I will install a new test board next week.
Second warning : version 1.0.0 (which was submitted) was never tested for EasyMod compliance (version 0.0.3 was) but it did pass the online validator.
Third Warning : The mod was created with phpbb 2.0.5 (so were the mod install instructions). There were a number of changes (small corrections) to the template files as the versions progressed to 2.0.11. The mods still works on 2.0.11 but some finds may not be exactly the same. If I have the time I will check everything next week and if there are changes I will post the new version (for 2.0.11 only) and remove the previous versions (0.0.3 and 1.0.0)

On a final note (for now that is) : the topic remains [RC] but I am not planning on submitting the mod. Once again, anybody can submit the mod (with or without changes)

############################################################## 
## MOD Title: Post Display Order MOD 
## MOD Author: warmweer <undisclosed email> (N/A) testsite removed since it's not up to date
## MOD Description: This MOD will allow your members to choose a general sort order for the posts in viewtopic. 
## MOD Version: 1.0.0 
## 
## Installation Level: Easy 
## Installation Time: ±20 minutes 
## Files To Edit:  7
##   viewtopic.php 
##   includes/usercp_register.php 
##   includes/usercp_avatar.php 
##   admin/admin_users.php 
##   language/lang_english/lang_main.php 
##   templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl 
##   templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl 
## 
## Included Files: n/a 
## 
## For Security Purposes, Please Check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the 
## latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code 
## to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MOD's not offered 
## in our MOD-Database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ 
## Author Notes: 
## This mod adds an extra setting with which the user can specify the general post display ordering in viewtopic. Default sortorder when registering is Descending (Newest_first). This can be changed in usercp_register (look at the POST_VAR sortorder) 
## User and admin can change the selected display order. 
## 
## MOD History: 
## 
##   2003-08-30 - Version 1.0.0 
##   - submitted to MODdb (corrected a FIND and changed version) 
##   2003-08-27 - Version 0.0.2 
##   - Corrected a few mistakes and left-outs in the install instructions 
##   2003-08-09 - Version 0.0.1 
##   - Initial code release 
##  
## MOD Localisation: 
## 
## N/A 
## 
################################################################# 
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD 
################################################################# 

# 
#-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------ 
# If you do not know how to do the below SQL dump from command line, than you will need to 
# download, install & use an SQL Interface, such as: 
# MySQL: phpMyAdmin ( http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ ) 
# PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL Manager ( http://ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/ ) 
# 
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_sortorder TINYINT null DEFAULT '0'; 
# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
includes/usercp_register.php 
# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
   $popup_pm = ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['popup_pm']) ) ? ( ($HTTP_POST_VARS['popup_pm']) ? TRUE : 0 ) : TRUE; 
# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
   $sortorder = ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['sortorder']) ) ? ( ($HTTP_POST_VARS['sortorder']) ? TRUE : 0 ) : 0; 
# 
# 
   $sql = "UPDATE " . USERS_TABLE . 
      " SET " . $username_sql . $passwd_sql 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------- 
# 
user_style = $user_style, 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
user_sortorder = $sortorder, 
# 
# 
   $sql = "INSERT INTO " . USERS_TABLE . "   (user_id, username, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, 
# 
# 
user_style, 
# 
# 
user_sortorder, 
# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------- 
# 
   VALUES ($user_id, '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $username) . "', " . time() . ", '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $new_password) . "', '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $email) . "', 
# 
# 
$user_style, 
# 
# 
$sortorder, 
# 
# 
   $allowviewonline = $userdata['user_allow_viewonline']; 
# 
# 
   $sortorder = $userdata['user_sortorder']; 
# 
# 
   display_avatar_gallery($mode, $avatar_category, $user_id, $email, $current_email, $coppa, $username, $email, 
# 
# 
$user_style, 
# 
# 
$sortorder, 
# 
# 
   'NOTIFY_PM_NO' => ( !$notifypm ) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
# 
# 
   'SORTORDER_ASC' => ( $sortorder ) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
   'SORTORDER_DESC' => ( !$sortorder ) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
# 
# 
   'L_ALWAYS_ADD_SIGNATURE' => $lang['Always_add_sig'], 
# 
# 
   'L_SORT_ASCENDING' => $lang['Oldest_First'], 
   'L_SORT_DESCENDING' => $lang['Newest_First'], 
# 
# 
   'L_NOTIFY_ON_PRIVMSG' => $lang['Notify_on_privmsg'], 
# 
# 
   'L_MESSAGE_ORDER' => $lang['Select_message_order'], 
# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------- 
# 
includes/usercp_avatar.php 
# 
# 
   function display_avatar_gallery($mode, &$category, &$user_id, &$email, &$current_email, &$coppa, &$username, &$email, 
# 
# 
&$style, 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------- 
# 
&$sortorder, 
# 
# 
   $params = array('coppa', 'user_id', 'username', 'email', 'current_email', 'cur_password', 'new_password', 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND]------------------------------------- 
# 
'style', 
# 
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD]------------------------------------- 
# 
'sortorder', 
# 
# 
language/lang_english/lang_main.php 
# 
# 
   $lang['Always_notify_explain'] = 'Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.'; 
# 
# 
   $lang['Select_message_order'] = 'Select the order in which posts will be shown'; 
# 
# 
admin/admin_users.php 
# 
# 
   $popuppm = ( isset( $HTTP_POST_VARS['popup_pm']) ) ? ( ( $HTTP_POST_VARS['popup_pm'] ) ? TRUE : 0 ) : TRUE; 
# 
# 
# 
# 
   SET " . $username_sql . $passwd_sql . "user_email = '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $email) . "', user_icq = '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $icq) . "', user_website = '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $website) . "', 
# 
# 
user_style = $user_style, 
# 
# 
user_sortorder = $sortorder, 
# 
# 
   $notifypm = $this_userdata['user_notify_pm']; 
# 
# 
   $sortorder = $this_userdata['user_sortorder']; 
# 
# 
   $s_hidden_fields .= '<input type="hidden" name="notifypm" value="' . $notifypm . '" />'; 
# 
# 
   $s_hidden_fields .= '<input type="hidden" name="sortorder" value="' . $sortorder . '" />'; 
# 
# 
   'NOTIFY_PM_NO' => (!$notifypm) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
# 
# 
   'SORTORDER_ASC' => ( $sortorder ) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
   'SORTORDER_DESC' => ( !$sortorder ) ? 'checked="checked"' : '', 
# 
# 
   'L_ALWAYS_ADD_SIGNATURE' => $lang['Always_add_sig'], 
# 
# 
   'L_SORT_ASCENDING' => $lang['Oldest_First'], 
   'L_SORT_DESCENDING' => $lang['Newest_First'], 
# 
# 
   'L_NOTIFY_ON_PRIVMSG' => $lang['Notify_on_privmsg'], 
# 
# 
   'L_MESSAGE_ORDER' => $lang['Select_message_order'], 
# 
# 
   templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl 
# 
# 
   <tr> 
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES}:</span></td> 
     <td class="row2"> 
      <input type="radio" name="allowsmilies" value="1" {ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES_YES} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_YES}</span>&nbsp;&nbsp; 
      <input type="radio" name="allowsmilies" value="0" {ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES_NO} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_NO}</span></td> 
   </tr> 
# 
# 
   <tr> 
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_MESSAGE_ORDER}:</span></td> 
     <td class="row2"> 
      <input type="radio" name="sortorder" value="1" {SORTORDER_ASC} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_SORT_ASCENDING}</span>&nbsp;&nbsp; 
      <input type="radio" name="sortorder" value="0" {SORTORDER_DESC} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_SORT_DESCENDING}</span></td> 
   </tr> 
# 
# 
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl 
# 
# 
   <tr> 
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES}:</span></td> 
     <td class="row2"> 
      <input type="radio" name="allowsmilies" value="1" {ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES_YES} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_YES}</span>&nbsp;&nbsp; 
      <input type="radio" name="allowsmilies" value="0" {ALWAYS_ALLOW_SMILIES_NO} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_NO}</span></td> 
   </tr> 
# 
# 
   <tr> 
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_MESSAGE_ORDER}:</span></td> 
     <td class="row2"> 
      <input type="radio" name="sortorder" value="1" {SORTORDER_ASC} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_SORT_ASCENDING}</span>&nbsp;&nbsp; 
      <input type="radio" name="sortorder" value="0" {SORTORDER_DESC} /> 
      <span class="gen">{L_SORT_DESCENDING}</span></td> 
   </tr> 
# 
# 
viewtopic.php 
# 
# 
// 
// Decide how to order the post display 
// 
# 
# 
   if ($userdata['user_sortorder'] == 0) 
   { 
      $user_post_order = 'desc'; 
      $user_post_time_order = 'DESC'; 
   } 
   else 
   { 
      $user_post_order ='asc'; 
      $user_post_time_order = 'ASC'; 
   } 
# 
# 
   $post_order = 'asc'; 
   $post_time_order = 'ASC'; 
# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------  
# 
   $post_order = $user_post_order; 
   $post_time_order = $user_post_time_order; 
# 
#  
   if ( !empty($post_id) ) 
   { 
      $start = floor(($forum_topic_data['prev_posts'] - 1) / intval($board_config['posts_per_page'])) * intval($board_config['posts_per_page']); 
   } 
# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
   if ( !empty($post_id) ) 
   { 
      if ($userdata['user_sortorder'] == 0) 
      { 
         $sql = "SELECT COUNT(post_id) AS total_posts FROM  " . POSTS_TABLE . " WHERE forum_id = " . $forum_id . " AND topic_id = " . $topic_id; 
         if ( !($result = $db->sql_query($sql)) ) 
         { 
            message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Could not obtain number of posts in topic", '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql); 
         } 
         $total_posts = ( $row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result) ) ? intval($row['total_posts']) : 0; 

$start = floor(($total_posts - $forum_topic_data['prev_posts'] )/ intval($board_config['posts_per_page'])) * intval($board_config['posts_per_page']); 
      } 
      else 
      { 
         $start = floor(($forum_topic_data['prev_posts'] - 1) / intval($board_config['posts_per_page'])) * intval($board_config['posts_per_page']); 
      } 
   } 
# 
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
# EoM
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Lechon

Post by Lechon »

Hi,
I am using the Profile Control Panel MOD. Is there anyway to modify this mod to work with the PCP? Have anyone done this already. Because I installed this one and nothing happens. I think the PCP doesn't use registercp_user.php anymore. Can anyone help me on that?
Thank you.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

warmweer wrote: Third Warning : The mod was created with phpbb 2.0.5 (so were the mod install instructions). There were a number of changes (small corrections) to the template files as the versions progressed to 2.0.11. The mods still works on 2.0.11 but some finds may not be exactly the same. If I have the time I will check everything next week and if there are changes I will post the new version (for 2.0.11 only) and remove the previous versions (0.0.3 and 1.0.0)

Slight correction.
I was planning on redoing the mod this evening ... however the update to 2.0.12 is more important so I did that instead ... and my evening is occupied differently as of now (well in ... let's say 10 minutes). Sometime next week I should be able to paste a new version.

As alert readers may have guessed already, the new version will be for 2.0.12. Since the update from 2.0.11 to 2.0.12 is so simple (even with a heavily modded board and 3 languages), all questions related to this mod and versions of phpBB earlier than 2.0.12 will be disregarded (at least by myself - everybody should update as quickly as possible anyway - it took me less than an hour and I'm very slow 8) ).

Ok, for those using 2.0.11 - I didn't have to touch any part relating to this mod while upgrading ... so that shouldn't cause any problems.

to Lechon : I don't use the PCP Mod but I suspect the only difference will be that the sort order is set via a different template - so find out which template you can put the radiobuttons in, then find out which .php file is used to register (and edit) (don't forget the admin templates and .php files) and it shouldn't be all that difficult.

hendriks

Fine

Post by hendriks »

Hi,

I just used the mod on 0.12 and everything looks fine.

So I think you don't have to change the mod.

Greetings.

BTW.

I'm still wondering why this mod is not a regular part op phpBB.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Fine

Post by warmweer »

hendriks wrote: I'm still wondering why this mod is not a regular part op phpBB.

I used to think that I should be a standard feature but now I'm not so sure. With the usual ("Oldest First") sort order clicking on a topic name brings you to the first page of that topic (which contains the oldest post) and by clicking on the last post image, the last post (on the last page) appears. When the sort order is "Newest First" the last post image is brings up the first page (with the latest post) but clicking the topic brings up the start of the topic which is now the last page - it's confusing in the beginning.
Personally I feel that the topic ordering (by last post time, topic start time, topic author, topic views or topic name) has more value functionally.

Yet there are some diehards who stick with "Newest first" so they're happy now (and so am I :wink: )

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Locking this thread, if someone wants to continue development you can create a new thread.
Systems Engineering

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”