[MOD DB] 2.0.6-2.0.4 : Topic calendar v 1.0.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:03 pm

Let's try in english here ;)
GMaths wrote: (../..)On the demo board, the version available is still the v 1.0.0 (ndt: v1.0.0 beta 1.0)). I assume you don't publish a full version for each fix, do you ?

Exactly : except when a major bug is found, I prefer group some fixes, then only write a new version. Beta stage are there in order to avoid this kind of bugs, and actualy this way to do works great :).

During beta stage, I report every fixes needed in order to make the mod functional, as soon as possible, and after a week, I compile all in a new beta version, then a rc version, and at least final version released.

pollix

Post by pollix » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:29 am

Ptirhiik-RPGnet-fr I went to your site and noticed that in the view forum page, you have "announcements", "sticky" and "topics" all grouped individually. Does this come with the hierarchy mod or did you do this seperatly. I love it! I want to di this with my board!

**I apologise.. I posted this in the wrong thread. I thought I was in the hiarchy thread.**

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:44 am

You will find there a mod of mine called "Topic type split", which is the one you have seen. Board announcement are part of "Announces" mod, also present in this forum ;).

hamet

Post by hamet » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:52 am

Hi,

First of all great mod.

I tried to edit a post to set it as a calendar event, but unfortunately it does not show up in the calendar as an event. Any fix?

I did not install PCP, any problem with that?

Thanks!

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:12 am

Hey there!
Another great mod.. man do you ever rest?! You never get tired of doing this do you? Hehe, great new for us then since you work is very appreciated!

A couple of questions though:

1. Is it possible to configure which forums users might or might not post event messages from? I mean can an admin enable/disable event posting messages in specific forums?

2. Related to the question above, does the "add event" feature which shows up on the posting page, appear all the time on the posting page no matter from which forum you are making a new event post? I understand that it should be the case if the mod does not allow choosing specific forums for events to be sent from, but if the mod allows to configure specific forums to send calendar events from, does that "add event" feature on the posting page still show up always?

3. Is it possible to change the appearance/style of the view window for events which shows up when hovering with your mouse over an event?

4. Could it be possible to set the mod up somehow so that you can have an "add event" link or something directly in the calendar page which would directly take you to the posting page for starting an event topic? Or mabye add a link to every day on the calendar page. Clicking on it would simply set the starting date for an event and would take you to the posting page. It could be set a default forum for it maybe?

5. Another suggestion would be this: On your testboard I noticed that if an event is to be valid for let's say 5 days in a row, then it shows up from the start on every singel day of those five days. That makes the calendar page easily a big mess!
A better way would be to make the script so that it only shows the first occurence of the event for every valid day, meaning that for every day that goes and the event is till valid, it should show the event only on that day. I mean hovering with the mouse over it still gives you the info on between which period the event is valid, so it doesn't have to actually show up on every single day onward from the start..

I.e. have only the next event in a repeating occurence show up on the calendar list and not subsequent listings of the repeating event until after that date passes. Then, when that date passes, it should pick up only the next date in the repeat sequence, and so on. That way, you would not get multiple listings of the same event in the calendar page.

Well those were some questions and a suggestion!

Thx in advance!
:)

/Carpe Diem
:lol:

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:57 pm

Sugestion:

some kind of search funtion for events..

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:27 pm

hamet wrote: I tried to edit a post to set it as a calendar event, but unfortunately it does not show up in the calendar as an event.
Be sure to have all fixes installed (read the first post of this topic) :).

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:52 pm

• 1. Is it possible to configure which forums users might or might not post event messages from? I mean can an admin enable/disable event posting messages in specific forums?
  • 2. Related to the question above, does the "add event" feature which shows up on the posting page, appear all the time on the posting page no matter from which forum you are making a new event post? I understand that it should be the case if the mod does not allow choosing specific forums for events to be sent from, but if the mod allows to configure specific forums to send calendar events from, does that "add event" feature on the posting page still show up always?

Those both questions are answered by the way the permission are sat. Actually, the ability to set a date on a topic (meaning giving a topic the status of event) is handled with the natural auth of phpBB, similar than ie the ability of posting an announcement or set a topic as a sticky one. That means you can set this authorisation at forums, users or groups level :).

The ability to view in the calendar page or in the week summarize on the header a topic is based on the read authorisation, meaning if you have the right to read a topic, it will appear in the calendar. If not, it won't. This also means you can have an hidden forum (auth_view no), but where the topics are readable (auth_read yes), in order to make some kind of "official" announcement of events :).
  • 3. Is it possible to change the appearance/style of the view window for events which shows up when hovering with your mouse over an event?

Yes of course, as I'm using the phpBB template processing in order to generate this flying window. You can also add other type of event with a particular flying design :),
  • 4. Could it be possible to set the mod up somehow so that you can have an "add event" link or something directly in the calendar page which would directly take you to the posting page for starting an event topic? Or mabye add a link to every day on the calendar page. Clicking on it would simply set the starting date for an event and would take you to the posting page. It could be set a default forum for it maybe?

Not really usefull with the week summeraze view, and the way auths are designed : it would be the same than adding a "new topic" on an index page, which doesn't really make sense. And BTW, I found this "default forum where post" very un-friendly for users :). So even if it's esay to do, I don't see the point to add this ;).
  • 5. Another suggestion would be this: On your testboard I noticed that if an event is to be valid for let's say 5 days in a row, then it shows up from the start on every singel day of those five days. That makes the calendar page easily a big mess!

Actualy not regarding my tests : I have done this in this way : the longest event get at the top of the list, and a repeated event stands always at the same place on a line. Free places are also re-used by new events. This result in a quite compact and readable calendar/week page, even on very buzzy calendar. In order to protect the layer, you can also set a max number of event displayed, which will result in adding a down arrow in the cell in order to get the full list when it comes over this limit (a kind of "see more" feature :).
  • A better way would be to make the script so that it only shows the first occurence of the event for every valid day, meaning that for every day that goes and the event is till valid, it should show the event only on that day. I mean hovering with the mouse over it still gives you the info on between which period the event is valid, so it doesn't have to actually show up on every single day onward from the start..

You have to consider the start and end date are visual important informations, so must stand on the first sight. By experiences, I know this kind of events are very rare on a community board, so has to be directly seen :).

hamet

Post by hamet » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:02 pm

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: Be sure to have all fixes installed (read the first post of this topic) :).

ah done! thanks :D

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:54 pm

Well as usual I do humbly thank you for the thorough reply from your part.
:)

Most appreciative!
8)

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:16 pm

Hater wrote: I'm going to try and impliment this MOD into the existing mini-calendar MOD, probably Thursday evening. If I'm successful I'll definately share it with everyone.

Any luck on that?! I have also asked the author of the mini-calendar mod to take a look at this calendar mod and maybe he would like to give it a try if he finds some free time.. I really hope that netclectic will do that!

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:01 pm

im not shure is it possible to add event in the past ??? (i dont use mycalender)

and a search funtion for events is nice
Not shure but how about a defined post icon for events (only if the mod is installed if the user add an event no other msg-icons are avail...

Hater

Post by Hater » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:52 pm

I didn't get a chance yet, as this week has been busy with other work things, but I will see if I can tweak it this evening while I've got some time.

Sorry for the delay, but I need it as much as you guys do so I will get around to it. :)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:51 am

• im not shure is it possible to add event in the past ??? (i dont use mycalender)[/i]
    The time limit in the past is 1971/01/01, to prevent issues with windows server interpretation of the php date() func (negative values not supported). I think (I didn't verify yet :)) I add reduce the ability to post ante dated event while creating a new post to a year before, in order to reduce the drop down box. Not sure btw.
  • and a search funtion for events is nice
    This could be an option to add to the search panel. Anyway, the calendar itself does the trick actually : you can select a month to display :).
  • Not shure but how about a defined post icon for events (only if the mod is installed if the user add an event no other msg-icons are avail...

As the topic title is handle by the mod in a single function, I can very easely add an icon in front of it. Actually in the very first version I did it, then remove it as the icon I use wasn't very convenient for a topic title :).

Hater

Post by Hater » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:44 am

Quite honestly after looking at it, I think that the mini-myCalendar and this Topic Calendar mod just might not work real well together, as the way the mini-cal is written is dependant very much on having only selected forums designated as calendar enabled, and also having an independant _calendar table, which this mod does not need.

I think I may just attempt to thin out this existing Topic Calendar mod and strip it of it's more specific features, and use that as a starting block for a mini calendar.

Quite honestly I think this is a mod better left to it's author than myself, I feel bad tearing apart someone elses mod for my liking.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”