[DEV] CM2F -> CM4F Community Messaging Forum

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
memsec

Post by memsec » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:12 am

danyblue wrote: I think that this is a very long post, but i am talking of my "Baby" and i think that CM2F/M2F should get more credits and more visibility from the phpBB core team.

Regards,
D.

A good reply - thanks. :) I support your last statement wholeheartedly. You seem to have gone into every aspect of this with great detail - thanks again for your long explanation of the situation.

danyblue

Shorter Next time

Post by danyblue » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:15 am

Netherless, i promise that I will be shorter next time ;)

Regards,
D.
http://dev.digitalgraal.net
Bridging Worlds Mails-Forum-CMS

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:20 am

danyblue wrote: Hi,

i don't think that none of the two applications have been recognized by the phpbb team as the official mod.
I have seen a couple of threads from the M2F starting the process to be recognized, but it seems that they are using external applications that could create some problems to be recognized.

CM2F has not started the process, because i am waiting for a fully stable application before moving the Status to version 1.0 and then start the process to be fully compliant with the requirements.

From a point of view of funcionality, i think that both mods are doing the same thing with a couple of differences in the concept.

I have chosen to give more functionalies and more modularity than M2F, because i have started M2F more than 3 years ago, and so my understanding of the overall problem to be solved, is I think more advanced ( The current M2F teams has followed by work).

The result is that there is a different positionning of the two applications.

I think that CM2F is more complex to configure ( the installation process has moved from to be more complex to be easier now) because there is more parameters to configure in CM2F than in M2F, due to the overall features CM2F offers.
M2F is simpler to configure because it has less features.

CM2F is more modular and more scalable. Most of the CM2F processes are running in the background, using the Builtin VirtualCrontab, or the linux Cron. This means that the overall site performance is not affected by having CM2F being ran on the site.

Both applications have now the same stability. The numbering is artificial, although CM2F is in RC 05 and M2F in 1.0, I think that there are still problems in both applications, and i think that it is more honest to keep a RC status than move into 1.0 and still having problems. But this is an opinion.

So i would say, that if you are needs are basically to get messages from mails to a forum, and then from the forum to the emails, without many customizations or an limited number of users/mails and using the standard phpBB, you should use M2F.
The tradeoff between simplicity/features is pending toward M2F.

If you are having a large number of forums and an high volume of messages moving around, with customization needs, or using any of the phpBB ports for the CMS phpnuke,postnuke, mdpro, mambo, xooops, you should definityvly use CM2F.

If you don't have a clue about what you need? Then it is a like or don't like aspect, some will like M2F others will like CM2F.

Personnally, i think that both applications are very good, and very well supported. I think that the M2F teams has been doing a very good job, and i have taken a look at the code being developped and it is really very good.

I think that the main problem to the future roadmap of the two applications, is to have more uses actually participating in the coding. Both developments teams are made on the sacrifice of a few people that are trying to do their best to develop and support applications that have, i think an high importance from a content point of view, because they merge two worlds that have been always splitted.

I think that for the phpBB world, the existence of CM2F/M2F is somthing that is increasing drastically the value generated for the application when compared to other forum applications opensource or commercial.

I don't think that no other forum have the capability to actually manage emails/mainlinglists and other indirect applications (yahoogroups) like the ones provided by the combination phpBB/XM2F.

I think that this is a very long post, but i am talking of my "Baby" and i think that CM2F/M2F should get more credits and more visibility from the phpBB core team.

Regards,
D.

Ah, thanks for the information! :)

I was just wondering about which one was under "more development"; I read about how around 2002/2003 you gave someone else charge of M2F, and I was confused to as which one you're actively developing, seeing as you've been back and are developing CM2F.

Excellent work. :)
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

danyblue

Post by danyblue » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:55 am

Yes, i am actively developping CM2F because i have clear control over the development roadmap and the architecture of the application give me the assurance of the capabilities to include advanced features.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

Bug in SQL installation

Post by danyblue » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:42 pm

Hello all,

after having been alerted by a couple of users to a strange error "Unable to retrieve list of users wanting a digest" when trying to access the InputStream/VirtualCron interface.

This error is caused by and miss spell in the SQL Statement used during the installation of CM2F. There is a workaround to solve this soluton that is:

1 - Goto Install CM2F, select the right version to be installed, Mailpath and run the installation.
2 - Go again to the installation Interface, but now choose the option UPgrade CM2F. The application will then reported some warnings about the tables already existing.

Goto to the InputStream and check that you are now able access it.

I have the solution already coded, but i am finishing some condition tests for the Installation and for the Attachments modes before putting releasing the new fileset.

Sorry for the problem, it is really frustrating to have this kind of bug released.

Regards,
D.

alsakrah

Post by alsakrah » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:08 pm

Thank you for you great jobs

danyblue

You are welcome.

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 pm

You are welcome and i take the opportunity to announce that CM2F RC 05B is including a new F2M signature customization. Basically you can define any kind of signature to be appended to the end of the messages being sent.
I am finishing an option to make if necessary programmable or random.

I am also finishing the autolink option, that allows to define link backs to the forum to perform actions like unsubscribe, see details, polls, etc...

In the other end of the application i am building the security centre, that will agregate all the security features from CM2F, like flood control with banned users, email address filtering, offensive words, spam control (associated with the implemented bayesian system),etc. This would allow CM2F to react to potential abuses.
If you have any suggestion regarding security please comment it to me for analysis and possible implementation.

Although not directly related with phpBB, but important for the mod, i am now working in the integration of CM2F with other Forums.
The core engine is fully working now, but i have some problems on how to integrate the admin interfaces which is a little bit more difficult.
For now, i am working with XarBB, PunBB, Vbulletin, InvisionBoard and NewBB. So as you see quite a long list:) But due to the modularity of the application there is no main problems.

I am not able to give a correct estimation to solve the admin interface solution. but in the end I will come to a first solution that will evolve into the final one.

Thing looks very good for CM2F.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

RC05B Released

Post by danyblue » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:24 am

Hello all,

i have just released the package CM2F RC 05B.

It solves some bugs that were mainly affecting the Forum2Mail feature, from a point of view of warning and misconfiguration details.
It intends also to change some naming used in the configuration screens in an intent to give more clarity to the configuration of this feature.

more details at my home site.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F RC 05 C

Post by danyblue » Thu May 05, 2005 7:16 am

Hi all,

just to inform that i have make another step in the roadmap to CM2F 1.0, by releasing CM2F RC 05 C which solves the bugs that were being talked into the forum.

It adds also new features that makes the system more configurable and more secure:

- Install improvement to check for file permissions and open_basedir limitation
- Anonymous users posting enabling/disabling
- Flood Control
- Forum2Mail template customization customable on forum basis, not anymore site based, which allow to better tailor the messages to be sent from the forum.

The stability is now very good, the user base is growing fast with new usages being made in the most various CMS.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F RC 05 C

Post by danyblue » Thu May 05, 2005 7:19 am

The new version will be called Final Preview 1.0

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F RC 05 D

Post by danyblue » Tue May 10, 2005 6:31 pm

Hello,

it is time again to publish some news about CM2F.

The RC05D is now being finished.

It is an intent to finish the main interfaces and features that i have to want available before moving to version 1.0

The application is very stable now. There are still some bugs from time to time but that are not affecting the features of the mod.

The application is running in production mode in all the supported environments without any problems and in a various of different configurations.
From what i have been hearing from users, the Yahoo integration is particularly good and is not giving any problems.

RC 05 D enhances the Forum2mail features to allow a more effective control of the outbound messages. Now you will be able to choose the mode CM2F will be running the F2M:
F2M, in this mode, the messages will be sent to subscribed users or external emails linked by the F2M.
Distribution list, in this mode, all the users of the site will receive the messages posted in the forum.

You can decide to include the usernames, to customize the from and the to fields. In this last case you can configure the system to send the messages directly using the field TO, instead of the BCC, the privacy of the information is guaranteed by CM2F.

New admin interfaces have been included in order to give control to most of the features of the application, like the outbound messages in the Temporal buffer.
New visualization modes are available to allow a better follow up on what the system is actually doing.

I just need to finish a couple of interfaces more in order to give the full control of the application to the administrator and the application will be moved to version 1.0.

Thank you to all that have been helping me debugging and stabilizing the application, allowing it to become what it is becoming.

Regards,
D.

alsakrah

Post by alsakrah » Wed May 11, 2005 6:17 am

Good News

Thank you

zparta

Post by zparta » Wed May 25, 2005 4:26 am

where would i download this if i dont want to register to your page ?

danyblue

From nowhere

Post by danyblue » Wed May 25, 2005 6:40 am

From nowhere.

The application is only available from digitalgraal website. I have limited the download to registered users, just to be able to track the users needing support.

So i am sorry, but if you want to have access to the aplication you will need to register.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F Groups 1.0 Preview to be released soon

Post by danyblue » Wed May 25, 2005 5:34 pm

Hello,

finally after almost a 4 years development cycle, CM2F is on the edge of reaching the dreamed 1.0 version number :) as a preview for now, but as the application is now very stable in all the supported CMS (phpnuke, postnuke,maxdev, xoops, mambo, etc) with all the phpbb flavors ports, i think that it will not take too long before change to 1.0.

For those that have followed closely the development status will see that the application has changed a lot from the first intents as M2F, then CM2F, and Now CM2F Groups.

The application allows full control of the messages incoming into the forum or being sent by the forum, almost every detail can be customized to suit the needs of the administrator.

The system is able to take on very large communities, as most of the tasks that could have an impact on the user experience are being made in the background. This allow the system to avoid slowness in the forum usage by the forums users.

The system is very modular, you can define any number of channels into the forums, and each forum that then further filtered to process the incoming message based on the "From" or "To" field. The subject line can be filtered to remove any tags that are not wanted.
The running modes available, allow to have a full control on how the admin wants the system to behave and classifiy the messages, and it can range from Fully automated, to Fully Manual, or to self learned, being the system able to learn using Baesyans rules to learn how to process the messages.

The security is customizable and you can define which users can use the system, or let anonymous users try the system for a couple of intents before having to register. Flood Control is also customizable and it will control the usage of the system, pausing then banning any user that will try to abuse from your system.

In the Forum2Mail feature, you total control over the way you want the system to process the messages, how it should them, to whom, using which templates, which language, how to process returning messages, or how redistribute the messages through subscribers users or external mailinglists.

The control of the system is very easy as there a several statistics tools that allow you to follow on the usage being given overally to your system or by specific users. This allows you to fully control the system.

All the functionalities can be enabled or disabled in order to suit the application to your real needs and avoid having some functions being displayed in the administrative menu without really needing it.

There a lot of other features that have been tested by the community users in all the supported environments, and the system is stable and running without errors( or almost ;) ).

Thank you to all the users that have been helping me with the debug and troubleshooting of some of the features, without them. i would have been probably still very far way from reaching the current status.

A milestone has been reached, and from now i think that CM2F Groups will be a reference for all the community administrators.

Regards,
D.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”