[DEV] CM2F -> CM4F Community Messaging Forum

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
danyblue

MamboPlus and PhpBB

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:42 pm

Hello everyone,

the days has been quite impressive today:) A part from testing MDpro and MDForum, based on the link given to me by an user, i have been testing a new variant of a phpBB port (www.impleri.net) and MamboPlus.
CM2F is working like a charm on it.

This is very good to see, because it saying that CM2F is very stable and able to work over almost any environment now without major modifications, which means, that the multiversion functionalities are really working good and allowing to have CM2F running almost on any PhpBB version currently developped.

Regards,
D.
http://www.digitalgraal.dyndns.org
cm2f_powerlogo.png

danyblue

MamboPlus and PhpBB

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Hello everyone,

the days has been quite impressive today:) A part from testing MDpro and MDForum, based on the link given to me by an user, i have been testing a new variant of a phpBB port (www.impleri.net) and MamboPlus.
CM2F is working like a charm on it.

This is very good to see, because it saying that CM2F is very stable and able to work over almost any environment now without major modifications, which means, that the multiversion functionalities are really working good and allowing to have CM2F running almost on any PhpBB version currently developped.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

Changing to Final Version

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi All,

if everything goes well, CM2F RC 05 should become the Preview 1.0 and the status changed to FINAL RELEASE.

From this to the Version 1.0 there is a very small step.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

Changing to Final Version

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi All,

if everything goes well, CM2F RC 05 should become the Preview 1.0 and the status changed to FINAL RELEASE.

From this to the Version 1.0 there is a very small step.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F manual Version 0.5 avalaiible

Post by danyblue » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:07 pm

I have just released the last version of the manual.
I am trying to improve it as much as possible during the next days in order to make it more structured and more accurate.
This will allow to better understand Cm2F and the steps needed to have a fully working instance of the application.

Regards,
D.
http://dev.digitalgraal.net
Bridging Worlds Mails-Forum-CMS

danyblue

New Admin Interface

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:38 am

I am releasing a new fix to solve a bug with the forum2mail feature, that was creating problem when sending posted messages to the susbcribers.
At the same time i am introducing the new admin interface that, i hope, will improve the user friendyness of CM2F.

I am posting a screenshot here.

Regards,
D.

alsakrah

Post by alsakrah » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Very nice danyblue

updating now >>>>

danyblue

CM2F RC 05 FIX A

Post by danyblue » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:36 pm

Hello all,

i have released the CM2F RC 05 FIX A at www.digitalgraal.dyndns.org.

I have updated also the CM2F RC 05 Package to have the update filed.

FIX A must be used by the users that have already CM2F setup in their systems and is intented to solve bugs and add new features.

CM2F RC 05 is for new users that have not yet setup the system.

It includes

Forum2Mail mail sending, when i splitted the M2F and F2M interfaces i have introduced a bug in the code which caused the mails not to be saved into the buffer.

User Usage Graphs, thanks to pjdm which pointed me to the error, the graphs are now working (at least in my tests).

Installation and Upgrade modification of the the cm2f_attach_mode value, wich caused some problems when installing and updating.

It includes aslo the new Administration interface.
The interface is configurable from the file /admin/cm2f_tags.inc, this means that if you prefer to have the standard phpbb interface for CM2F you can go to that file and change it.
The new interface is attempting to group all the functionalities and give a order to the functions, this way i hope that it will be easier to understand and use.
By click on the group tabs you can go a new admin functions that tries to give some explaination to each of the functions.

As always, feebbacks are welcomed.
This is a new step into version 1.0. As you know CM2F RC 05 is in its FINAL Preview phase, if no more important bugs are showing up, i will move the status to CM2F 1.0.

Thank you all for the support, suggestions. If anyone wants to make a donation it will be welcomed.

Regards,
D.

danyblue

CM2F stability and Status

Post by danyblue » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:48 pm

CM2F has become now very stable in all the plafforms supported. Most of the users have been able to install, configure and have a running version of the application very quickly.
There is still a point that needs to be improved and i would like to validate with other people that could have more experience than me in coding phpBB.
How can i check, get the value of open_basedir, and then move a folder to a new path from phpbb functions.
I have tried to find some information on php forum sites without too much success.
This would be to avoid the last problem that could impact CM2F installation process.

From a Status point of view, i am finishing the implementation of a autolink functionality, that will allow to define standard links to be appended to the outgoing messages sent from the forum to perform actions, like unsubscribe.

I am also implementing one of the last functions that is very important to detect replies and signatures in the messages imported to the forum and hide, in similar way to gmail mechanism.

Regards,
D.

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Re: CM2F stability and Status

Post by markus_petrux » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:38 pm

danyblue wrote: How can i check, get the value of open_basedir, and then move a folder to a new path from phpbb functions.
I have tried to find some information on php forum sites without too much success.
This would be to avoid the last problem that could impact CM2F installation process.

May I suggest to push this question here?
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=35

NB: I like to read your progress on this. :)
EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)

danyblue

Post by danyblue » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:30 pm

I have already found the solution.

it is ini_get('open_basedir') and that's it.

I am now including the OPEN BASE DIR check in CM2F installation. I am trying also the possibility to actually move the Mail directory to the discovered path, but i need to check on the privileges.

Regards,
D.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:49 pm

Just curious, if I were to use (C)M2F, would I use the one in this thread, or this one?
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

danyblue

It depends

Post by danyblue » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:22 am

If you want to use CM2F (http://www.digitalgraal.dyndns.org) then you must use this thread.
If you want to use M2F, then you must use the other one.

Although the names are equal, mainly because, i am behind both applicatons, CM2F and M2F are different. The only thing in common now is the name and the objectives of the application.

I am sorry for the very similar naming, but CM2F was named that way because my users wanted it to be called like this, and after all, i have created both.

Regards,
D.

memsec

Post by memsec » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:01 am

MennoniteHobbit is not the only one who's confused. If both mods are designed to do the same thing How are we to choose between them?

Personally, I am looking for a mod to work with simple phpbb2 and SQL to allow my subscribers to receive mailings of posts to the board and for the board to receive mailings from subscribers. I have two private forums, and need mailings to be sent to the correct forum.

Please enlighten us as to the differences between the two options so we can make a clear decision. Which one is to be adopted by phpbb as the official mod?

danyblue

Post by danyblue » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:52 am

Hi,

i don't think that none of the two applications have been recognized by the phpbb team as the official mod.
I have seen a couple of threads from the M2F starting the process to be recognized, but it seems that they are using external applications that could create some problems to be recognized.

CM2F has not started the process, because i am waiting for a fully stable application before moving the Status to version 1.0 and then start the process to be fully compliant with the requirements.

From a point of view of funcionality, i think that both mods are doing the same thing with a couple of differences in the concept.

I have chosen to give more functionalies and more modularity than M2F, because i have started M2F more than 3 years ago, and so my understanding of the overall problem to be solved, is I think more advanced ( The current M2F teams has followed by work).

The result is that there is a different positionning of the two applications.

I think that CM2F is more complex to configure ( the installation process has moved from to be more complex to be easier now) because there is more parameters to configure in CM2F than in M2F, due to the overall features CM2F offers.
M2F is simpler to configure because it has less features.

CM2F is more modular and more scalable. Most of the CM2F processes are running in the background, using the Builtin VirtualCrontab, or the linux Cron. This means that the overall site performance is not affected by having CM2F being ran on the site.

Both applications have now the same stability. The numbering is artificial, although CM2F is in RC 05 and M2F in 1.0, I think that there are still problems in both applications, and i think that it is more honest to keep a RC status than move into 1.0 and still having problems. But this is an opinion.

So i would say, that if you are needs are basically to get messages from mails to a forum, and then from the forum to the emails, without many customizations or an limited number of users/mails and using the standard phpBB, you should use M2F.
The tradeoff between simplicity/features is pending toward M2F.

If you are having a large number of forums and an high volume of messages moving around, with customization needs, or using any of the phpBB ports for the CMS phpnuke,postnuke, mdpro, mambo, xooops, you should definityvly use CM2F.

If you don't have a clue about what you need? Then it is a like or don't like aspect, some will like M2F others will like CM2F.

Personnally, i think that both applications are very good, and very well supported. I think that the M2F teams has been doing a very good job, and i have taken a look at the code being developped and it is really very good.

I think that the main problem to the future roadmap of the two applications, is to have more uses actually participating in the coding. Both developments teams are made on the sacrifice of a few people that are trying to do their best to develop and support applications that have, i think an high importance from a content point of view, because they merge two worlds that have been always splitted.

I think that for the phpBB world, the existence of CM2F/M2F is somthing that is increasing drastically the value generated for the application when compared to other forum applications opensource or commercial.

I don't think that no other forum have the capability to actually manage emails/mainlinglists and other indirect applications (yahoogroups) like the ones provided by the combination phpBB/XM2F.

I think that this is a very long post, but i am talking of my "Baby" and i think that CM2F/M2F should get more credits and more visibility from the phpBB core team.

Regards,
D.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”