[DEV] Live IRC Chat via phpBB

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

I like this but would like to take it for a test drive but can not with out registering.

Do you have a dummy account as I dont like going around registering at every site just to try out a development mod.
Dstorm11

Post by Dstorm11 »

I actually like the way it uses IRC. That way it can be accessed from outside the site as well.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

GregGreg wrote: Is there any way to make it so that on the main forum page, there is a list of people who are chatting?

Maybe using a different chat engine rather than IRC? .. I dunno.

Yes.. in a way.. Since I have embedded it into phpBB, it reflects who is in IRC chat in the phpBB "Who's Online" page .. as far as making a list of people in a seperate window, no, atleast not without an IRCbot that would cough up the information upon request..
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

As far as a release date goes.. I am still battling with one aspect of the MOD .. When users are registered with names that have spaces or invalid IRC characters in thier names it either truncates after the first space or refuses to allow access to those with invalid characters .. I am trying to write a logical name stripping tool that will test the name and alter it to suit the particular IRC server .. My IRC server is set to permit long names, while irc.undernet.org only allows 8 characters...

Also as a side note.. the Java program that I am using to connect to the IRC servers has it's own color settings, these settings are in RGB format, we have already written an include that converts strings of HEX into RGB and that portion is now working perfectly. This was required to properly skin the chat page to match the rest of the forums.

Soon .. very soon .. sorry to keep everyone waiting so long ..
Kylecool

Post by Kylecool »

No Problem. Thanks very much for the update. :)

-Kyle 8)
VACATION UNTIL june 29TH or 30th. :)
R45

Post by R45 »

fishfreek wrote: I like this but would like to take it for a test drive but can not with out registering.

Do you have a dummy account as I dont like going around registering at every site just to try out a development mod.
It only takes one minute of your time to register......

Platinum: I'm curious to know how you'll be tackling the problem you just said there. Since if it changes (string replace I guess?) something like "A user" to "A_user" and there's actually another use registered as "A_user" there'll be problem...
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

R45 wrote: Platinum: I'm curious to know how you'll be tackling the problem you just said there. Since if it changes (string replace I guess?) something like "A user" to "A_user" and there's actually another use registered as "A_user" there'll be problem...

You are completely correct .. however, since it is only a string replace and not actually altering theusers account, it is livable .. in the case that both users were to join chat at the same time, the irc software that is being used will automatically convert the second user to join to something like "A_user1" and everything will continue as normal .. if for any reason you wanted to know who is who, I have included a "whois" button, simply select the username in the list and press it to expose the users connection info ..

I hope this is a satisfactory answer..
kane91rs

Post by kane91rs »

can't wait for the release!!!!!
~:. Fusion .:~

Post by ~:. Fusion .:~ »

hows this mod progressing?
SK

Post by SK »

8O

Heh what a classic mod, this is something I could really use on my forum when its finished.

GL with finishing it
LS1 TA

Post by LS1 TA »

Would it be possible to grab only the users who are viewing chat.php (or whatever the name of the chatpage is) from the viewonline.php and display that list of people on the index page? This would be extemely helpful if we could see how many people (if any) are in the chatroom.. It wouldn't even have to display thier name.. just a number that tells how many people are viewing the page that contains the chat applet would be fine. Any ideas on how to make this work?

I'm already using IRC chat on my site btw.. And I have it fixed so that it automatically logs in users with their phpBB username.. I just created a template in the phpBB dirrectory called chat_body.tpl and added the chat script there.. Then all I did was include this param:

<param name="NickName" value="{USER_NAME}">

and then use the direct start param so that it automatically logs them into the chatroom when they access the page.

<param name="DirectStart" value="true">

Works great for me.
fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

I downloaded the files for this but in the install file it lists this as an issue
"will only show IRC users logged in via the Java applet on your board, no real IRC client users "

Is there a fix to this? I would like to allow both users to chat from the chat plug in or also from mIRC.
GoleyC

Download URL

Post by GoleyC »

Can someone post just the download URL, as I'm having the darndest time finding the link to this IRC Mod.

Thanks!
CG
SK

Post by SK »

Erm this post is in the development forum, hence its in development and not released yet :)
Stain

Post by Stain »

Keep up da good work, cant wait. ;)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”