[ABD] hyperion Weblogs

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
hyperion

[ABD] hyperion Weblogs

Post by hyperion »

This mod has now been discontinued, in favor of coding the mod again, this time completely from scratch. This was done to partially seperate the weblogs from the main phpbb system and thus allow much more advanced features than could have been implemented before. The new mod is called The Blog Mod.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I have continued on netcletics work and produced a much improved weblog script. I borrowed some of Smartor's ezPortal code and from Ca5ey's fetchall. In addition, it also uses steveurkels post icon mod for the mood. Its not done yet, as there are a few bugs to iron out and a few features to add but here's the scoop:

:arrow: Weblogs Index page. A simple page that lists all weblogs, their owners, the last entry time, last post time, and the latest mood. Optionally, admins can choose to show statistics there as well.

:arrow: A customizable weblog look. The entire weblog can be fully customized (HTML and all). There is a quick guide on what things mean, as well as a default weblog page that users can use.

:arrow: The weblog page will show the latest entries, up to the number of entries to be displayed (already in the existing weblog). The weblog page also has a link to view the past entries, and that links back to netcletic's original mod.

:arrow: The labels have been changed, so it reads "weblogs" instead of "forums", and "entries" instead of "topics". The lang file has now been updated.

:arrow: A "currently", and mood field will display above a post if the poster has selected a mood and a "currently". More choices can be added in the ACP.

:arrow: Usergroups can be selected by the admin to allow all members of a group to be able to create a weblog. This can allow tight control on who gets to create a weblog.

:arrow: Admin pages allow full control over the weblogs that are made. Weblogs can be edited, deleted, and the defaults can be adjusted there too. Not only that, mood and "currently" choices can be changed.

Also the moderator cp fix has been implemented.

Here's the current list of what's been done for version 0.3.0. The demo board is currently using version 0.2.0

Front Weblog Page: [ 100% ]

Main Weblog Page: [ 100% ]

Customizable Weblog Look: [ 100% ]
When a user creates a weblog, it will create a file called weblog_(user id) in a folder called "weblogs". This will store the user's weblog HTML.

Labels change: [ 100% ]

"Currently" field (replaces now playing): [ 100% ]
Its a dropdown box that will change the image beside it when a different option is selected (like in the smilies admin page). That image will be displayed next to the currently field on the weblog main page or the weblog entry page.

Mood field: [ 100% ]
Its a dropdown box that will change the image beside it when a different option is selected (like in the smilies admin page).

Personal Space: [ --% ]
-Removed; Fully customizable weblog makes this obsolete.

Unread/Read Post: [ 10% ]
I need help on this one. It changes with every computer I try it on and its very mind boggling.

Auto Shortcut: [ 0% ]
Gotta figure this one out. If someone knows I'd appreciate it if you told me how to do it.

Custom Colors, styles, etc.: [ --% ]
-Removed; Fully Customizable weblog makes this obsolete

Weblogs Statistics: [ 100% ]
-Last Updated Weblogs
-Newest Weblogs
-Most Entries
-Most Popular

UPDATED 6/12/03:
  • Improved Security: [ 100% ]
    Users must be approved by the group moderator of the weblog groups before he/she can create a weblog.
  • Admin Management Page: [ 100% ]
    Currently it allows the admin to delete a users weblog from the ACP. When it is done, it will allow the admin to edit a user's weblog as well.
  • Customizable Weblog Face: [ 100% ]
    This is what is shown on the main page that lists the weblogs. When a user creates a weblog, it will create a file called face_(user id) in a folder called "weblogs". This will store the user's weblog face HTML.
UPDATED 20/12/03
  • Last Entry Shown on User's Profile: [ 100% ]
    Shows weblog details in a user's profile
  • Pagination on the main Weblog Page: [ 100% ]
    Works with the ordering.
  • Ordering on the main Weblog Page: [ 100% ]
    Works with the pagination.
UPDATED 1/1/04 - New Years Special! :P
  • Admin Configuration Page: [ 100% ]
    Allow/Disallow displaying of stats, and defaults for myweblog and the weblog index page.
  • Customizable Mood and "Currently" Icons and Text: [ 100% ]
    Any number of mood/currently icons and text can be added, edited, or deleted through the admin page. Works much like the smilie admin, but with the added ability to sort the icons/text by alphabetical, id, etc.
UPDATE 2/2/04 - Coincidence with prev. date?
  • Enable/Disable mod support: [ 100% ] These mods are supported:
    • Attachment Mod
    • Birthday Mod
    • Zodiac for Birthday Mod
    • Last Visit Mod
    • Online/Offline/Hidden Mod
  • More safe/More sequre: [ 100% ]
    - single quote marks (') no longer produce an error message when entered in certain fields.
  • "Preparsed" Weblog Code: [ 100% ]
    - Many of the dynamic parts of the weblog are automatically replaced (such as the labels). This makes it less confusing.
  • Different access to individual entries: [ 100% ]
    - Individual entries can have authentication similar to the weblog itself (i.e. entry can be visible only to All, Registered, Usergroup, or Weblog Owner).
  • Custom mood/currently icons: [ 100% ]
  • Weblog configuration panel: [ 100% ]
    - set defaults for weblog settings
  • Use new or old weblog configuration: [ 100% ]
    - Allows the previous method of changing a weblog to be used.
UPDATE 25/4/04 - LAV (Long awaited version :-P)
A few notes when installing the mod:
- Included are two zips, which contain the weblog styles subSilver and simpleGray. Extract them to the weblog/styles/ directory (much like how the template directory works). THen go to the ACP and add the weblog style.
- There was an attempt to install the mod using EasyMOD, and it had a few snags. I made some changes to the install file, but it is not known if the new instructions work. Try them if you want to.
- If you had a previous version of the forum weblogs mod, run the weblog_db_update.php file and ignore the messages saving duplicate entry. It may duplicate the mood and currently entries so you might want to drop the two tables first (phpbb_weblog_mood, phpbb_weblog_currently).

Follow the instructions very carefully.

And now the changes:
2004-04-25 - Version 0.4.0
- Added option to reset weblog style (back to original unmodified state)
- Added weblog styles capability (removed template method)
- Added option to view a preview image (set by the admin) when a user selects a weblog style in weblog cp
- The name of the weblog system can be changed by editing three strings in weblog_main.php
- Changed weblog index look.
- Changed sorting algorithm of statistics
- Added "Last Seen" to weblog face - shows what the last "currently" was.
- Added Calendar to the weblog. Users can scroll back and forth in time. Days with entries are linked
to show that day's entries.
- Added "Go Back" and "Go Forward" - users can browse through the next <weblogs_per_page> or previous entries
- Added a new style to be included with package - simpleGray
- Added ability to set entries as "Memorable". These are viewable in the weblog entries page (the one that
shows all entries in a list).
- Added ability to show the number of days old that a weblog is (on the weblog page).
- Added link in viewtopic.php that leads to a user's weblog (if they have one). An image is provided for subSilver.
- Fixed mood smilie problem not showing correct mood
- Fixed entry hidden options - wasn't working well before
- Fixed weblog index display order of weblog faces
- Added option for the admin whether or not all users must be subscribed to a weblog group
- Automatically detects the File Attachment Mod by Acyd Burn and enables support for it
- Now displays attachments in weblog.php, not just in weblog_entry.php
- Added an RSS feed script. To use, point to weblog_rss.php?w=(weblog_id).
- Added ability for a weblog owner to select the auth for replying. It may be set so that users can see the weblog,
but cannot actually reply to the blog. It will complain if users are allowed to reply but not view the weblog!

Here is an interactive demo on my site. Username: test Password: test

DOWNLOAD (no longer available for download, I'm developing the Blog Mod which is far superior)

I have discontinued this mod in favor of the rewritten version of the Forum Weblogs Mod ("The Blog Mod").

[edit=netclectic] i've un-image-ized ™ the images

mod edit: marked as abandoned
Last edited by hyperion on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Cool, looking pretty good.

It might be an idea for you to start your own topic if you're going to take it any further.
Defend the game:
tm6tech

Post by tm6tech »

awesome :)

Hopefully this will help me lure some of my members back from livejournal
Enki

Post by Enki »

ooo what a interesting mod. I hope more features are added into it.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Name it and I will try to add it :wink:
Enki

Post by Enki »

Okay here some addition:

-Have User have a Favorite list of other people WebLogs.
Which means if a user made another user weblog his favorite, he can go to it in a shortcut in his contorl panels.
--Try making it contribute to Buddly List mod.

-Make Post in Chronological Order, not by last post or poster.

-Make the weblog also a direct link to their website or to another weblog website for instance: xanga

That all I can think of so far.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Enki wrote: -Have User have a Favorite list of other people WebLogs.
Which means if a user made another user weblog his favorite, he can go to it in a shortcut in his contorl panels.
--Try making it contribute to Buddly List mod.

I'll look into that. Sounds interesting.
Enki wrote: -Make Post in Chronological Order, not by last post or poster.

Already done. I fixed that problem from netcletic's version. It was simply because when it was pulling the data off of the SQL tables, it was sorting by post_time. Now it sorts by topic_time.
Enki wrote: -Make the weblog also a direct link to their website or to another weblog website for instance: xanga

I don't quite get what you mean here.

:arrow: I have added a "Personal Space" for a user to use html to his or her content, and add whatever he/she wants in that space. It also allows the user to change the title of that block.

Things yet to do:
- [0%] Let the weblog owner change the appearence, by colors, css, html, whatever.
That is a little hard, considering that a board could have more than one style. I'm wondering wheter or not I should just dump the themes and let the user code his/her own page, continue as is, or just make it an IFrame and let the user code his/her own page.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Enki wrote:-Make the weblog also a direct link to their website or to another weblog website for instance: xanga

I don't quite get what you mean here.

Xanga is another journal site, the user may also have a xanga site for instance: http://www.xanga.com/shinzu is a weblog but from another website. So I am saying you should make a weblog of one user be also a direct link to a site.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Well, there is a WWW link which is the same as the one in the profile.

Also, there is the personal space where the owner can do whatever he/she wants.

BTW, here's another pic:
removed ~hyperion (no longer available)
Last edited by hyperion on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

CooL! this is gonna be SO MUCH BETTER than vbulletins "JOURNAL ONLY" muwahaha. WE OWN THEM. MUWAHAHAHAHA XD

this is a BIG MOD.. prolly as big as cash mod.. and I LIKE THIS!

EDIT: in the currently playing thing.. can you make a dropdown.. like it says

Currently [dropdown here]

in the dropdown theres

Playing (Game)
Listening (Music)
Reading (Book)
Watching (TV)

yeh.. >_<
Enki

Post by Enki »

hyperion wrote: Well, there is a WWW link which is the same as the one in the profile.

Also, there is the personal space where the owner can do whatever he/she wants.

BTW, here's another pic:
http://vince.dynalias.com/myweblog.png

Oh yeah your a right. I look forward to the update and when it done, I be your tester!
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

netclectic wrote: Cool, looking pretty good.

It might be an idea for you to start your own topic if you're going to take it any further.

Done for you ;)
Defend the game:
Frold

Post by Frold »

I don´t know if this is possible...

But if a user create a weblog, will it be possibel to "auto create" a short cut to the site?

let me explain or try to....

If the user frold creates a weblog then it would be nice if there is automaticly create a "shortcut" to the weblog on the server so you just have to write eg.

http://www.yoursite.com/weblogs/USERNAME

in this case

http://www.yoursite.com/weblogs/frold

to go the users weblog - do you understand?
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

I get what you mean, Frold. I think I would prefer to keep Netcletics way of using the forums as the base for the weblog. Its much easier to handle that way. Right now, its http://www.site.com/weblog.php?id=whatever.
theanimewizard wrote: EDIT: in the currently playing thing.. can you make a dropdown.. like it says

Currently [dropdown here]

in the dropdown theres

Playing (Game)
Listening (Music)
Reading (Book)
Watching (TV)

Right now, I have a "Now Playing" field that will show what the user is doing. I like your idea. I could have it so that it says:

Currently: (dropdown) (textbox)

Dropdown would have things such as "Listening To", "Playing", "Reading", etc. and textbox would have what ever they want. Yes that sounds like a good idea.
anor

Post by anor »

One word hyperion for your mod. WOW, it's already packed with alot of goodies can't wait till you release it. Keep up the good job :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”