[ABD] hyperion Weblogs

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
wira_cg2
Name: wiramax

Post by wira_cg2 »

how about user can have shoutbox on their weblog, i think this will be cool addon.. :roll:
skylerjer

Post by skylerjer »

I just installed a page generation mod, and I notice that weblogs.php takes 44 queries, which is pretty high, and about 14 seconds to load up, which is pretty slow.
And I've noticed that my board in general has been slower in recent days. Happening at the same time as my board slowness, more people have signed up for the weblogs.
I don't know if there is a connection between the weblog slowness, the query number, or my board slowness as a whole, but an expert opinon on this would help, because I kinda just found out about this query number = slowness concept yesterday. Thus the potential newbishness of this post.
Some questions:
-On a busy night, if many people decide to access a php page that has a high query number (ie, weblogs), will that affect the board speed as a whole for everyone else, or does a high query number for a page just affect the speed of that one page.
-Is there anyway to reduce this number with the weblogs, if it has not already been considered for the next version?
-Any other tips, advice, links to relevent faqs and threads about query number and board speed would be appreciated.

Also, I think the weblogs are pretty darn impressive in terms of features already. As I said above, my vote is that hyperion perfect what he has already put into it. Just a suggestion.

Here's my board by the way: http://www.koopatorivm.com/kboard
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Thanks for all the comments.

beggers: The calendar is part of the weblog script, so no extra mod will have to be installed for that. To have attachments in the weblog entries, the File Attachment Mod will have to be installed (and then support for it will automatically be enabled).

wira_cg2: That's an excellent idea! I didn't notice that some weblogs have such a feature. I'll have to code it from scratch though, since no shoutbox mod works for individual forums. I'll save it for the next version.

skylerjer: 44 sql queries isn't a lot really. It shouldn't slow down your forum to much at all. The number of queries does affect the page generation time. My statistics page has 145 queries and takes 5 times longer than weblogs.php to load. weblogs.php may be slightly slow when compared to other pages like viewforum.php, but if you really want to save some sql queries, you can go the the ACP and disable stats on the weblog index page.

I'm thinking of make the stats as modules for the statistics mod, to help reduce the number of queries for that page.
The Blog Mod: ( Dev Topic | Demo )
The Blog Mod version 0.2.3 - Released May 18, 2005
Download

Forum Weblogs Mod: (discontinued)
theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

Shoutbox would be cool.

all you gotta do is create a table with 3 columns.. its

WEBLOG ID | userid | message

.. then to show the messages in the shoutbox, all u gotta do is

go select * from phpbb_weblog_shoutbox where weblogid = '$weblogid';

yeh, i ono why im tellin u.. but hehe, just some suggestions on how u can do it =P
nadir

Post by nadir »

dubtribe wrote: i checked out the new version on your site and i am stoked!

here are my observations (for what it's worth)

i like the new blog main page a lot:
http://vince.dynalias.com/PHPBB2/weblog.php

i don't like the default too much:
http://vince.dynalias.com/PHPBB2/weblog.php?w=13

i am absolutely bonkers over the this look and feel:
http://vince.dynalias.com/PHPBB2/weblog.php?w=4

the page looks so blogish without the header. i really love that about it.
i feel like my users will really appreciate that, and be more inclined to use the blogs and link them from their own sites.

thus... more traffic and more party-fun!

i installed the sort of version of this one for a test example (just replaced it as advised here

and while it's not entirely straight, no calendar, not quite right...
all of my bloggers have said "where can i get that?!!"

so it's a hit.

good work.

take your time with those bugs.

thank you!!!!

dss

whoa!!

http://vince.dynalias.com/PHPBB2/weblog.php?w=4

that's the nicest layout ever. Is this what will be coming default?? Or will we be able to switch to the layout in the that link above? damn that's good.

hyperion, your mod has come a looooong way. I'm lovin it since the start!!!!!

I can't wait till your latest version release!

btw, which forum theme are you running? I like the gray background and all.
theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

Hyperio, when you said
## - Any modifications you made to viewtopic.php should be applied also to weblog_entry.php
## - Any modifications you made to posting.php should be applied also to weblog_posting.php
## -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
## o Any changes to submit_post() in posting.php MUST be made to submit_post() in weblog_posting.php
## -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
## - Any modifications you made to viewforum.php should be applied also to weblog2.php
## - When you are finished, check templates/subSilver/weblog_body.tpl and uncomment parts
## that may require a mod.

ummm.... what if i forgot all the modifications that I did?

also, i installed the points system, and htey gain points for posting, if i do thesame for postin.php, does that mean they also gain points for that?

btw, what happens IF i dont do all the modifications i did to viewtopic.php and posting.php

does weblog post count towards post count?
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

nadir: The forum theme on the demo weblog? Its my weblog theme "simpleGray". It comes with the mod when I release 0.4.0!

theanimewizard: The only real important extra modifications is the submit_post() function. Everything else doesn't *really* have to be done.

You should actually be able to copy submit_post(something) in posting.php and paste it over submit_post(something) in weblog_posting.php

With the points mod, if you make the changes to posting.php to weblog_posting.php, users will get points for posting. If you make the changes in viewtopic.php into weblog_entry.php, then your users will also be able to view points.
Download

dubtribe

Post by dubtribe »

I have a request.

many of my users have a small screen, but want to customize thier blogs.

is there any way to wrap, or better include the code input pages so that you don't have to scroll to get to the scroll bars?

that would be very helpful and encouraging to those interested in changing their own blog code.

just a thought.

dss
Sakuweb

Post by Sakuweb »

Hello...
I´ve a problem...
Well... I don´t find in my includes/page_header.php

Code: Select all

$l_timezone = (count($l_timezone) > 1 && $l_timezone[count($l_timezone)-1] != 0) ? $lang[sprintf('%.1f', $board_config['board_timezone'])] : $lang[number_format($board_config['board_timezone'])];
So I don´t know where add the next code

// include the weblog lang file
$use_lang = ( !file_exists($phpbb_root_path . 'language/lang_' . $board_config['default_lang'] . '/lang_weblog_main.'.$phpEx) ) ? 'english' : $board_config['default_lang'];
include_once($phpbb_root_path . 'language/lang_' . $use_lang . '/lang_weblog_main.' . $phpEx);
...I find this in my page_header...

'S_CONTENT_DIR_RIGHT' => $lang['RIGHT'],
	'S_TIMEZONE' => sprintf($lang['All_times'], $lang[number_format($board_config['board_timezone'])]),
	'S_LOGIN_ACTION' => append_sid('login.'.$phpEx),
But... that isn´t the same code... Where can I add the second code??

Please... I need you
Hello! I´m spanish and I don´t know english very well... Could you help me with my phpBB forum??
Thanks!!
Sakuweb

Post by Sakuweb »

Oh...
My forum is this: http://ccsakuweb.metropoliglobal.com/foro/

Then... -.- I tried to install mod without the code of the previous post, and the weblog´s page (My Weblog and weblog config) has several errors. It is because I need that code?

Help me please :cry:
Hello! I´m spanish and I don´t know english very well... Could you help me with my phpBB forum??
Thanks!!
Sakuweb

Post by Sakuweb »

Noone....??
Thanks!!
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

What verison of phpBB are you using? You should be able to find that code in phpBB 2.0.6 and above. You need that code but omitting it shouldn't cause so many errors. If you omit it, You'll have a lot of missing text, but no error messages.

You might want to wait for version 0.4.0 because its very much improved over 0.3.1.

dubtribe: You can adjust the width of the page box by opening weblog_config.tpl, search for {S_WEBLOG_PAGE} and look for columns= in the area. Reduce it as desired. You probably also want to do the same for the next text box, the weblog face box.
Download

Sakuweb

Post by Sakuweb »

Oh... My version is 2.0.4 ... -.-
Then... I think I will wait the next version.
Thank you...
Thanks!!
A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

i need weblog_2.cfg its not on the download

do i go here?

http://vince.dynalias.com/PHPBB2/weblogs/weblog_2.cfg
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

It's automatically created when you create a weblog. You don't have to download it.
Download

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”