[ABD] hyperion Weblogs

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
gurukast

Post by gurukast »

nice...
couple of things
1. might site has some *very* custom stylys, everything from the new entry to comment to post a reply is all styled according to user prefrence.
How hard woul it be to adapt it to this new system?

2. system load and resources. How is this looking so far? I'm thinking optional caching would be good, like updated every hour, instead of every
blogs view, if so desired. Also, will styles be extreme styles compatible?

3. I think if you set you minimum blog to a certain level, you can go below that in your posts (i.e set blog to registered only, butmake an entery guests could see)

4. Private entires should be not viewable by admin (similiar to Pms)

5. If the firneds entry couls could be based around theew weblog face, would be very nice...

6. perhaps an optional tie in with PCp buddt list and the other PHP buddy lists they have.. if you have those modues installe, the blogs would use those lists ffor friends...

7. Are usergroups still being created? could istill assign people to me group? or they must be firednds? and if so..do they HAVE to have a blog to be my friend?
PastorJoeMiller

Post by PastorJoeMiller »

one more idea...
Currently there is a feature to [View all Entries], and "Memorable" posts are listed like Stickies. But, it would be nice is the Blog owner could view all "Private" posts in a single list and all "Friend" posts in another list. Seems there is not much point in having "Private" or "Friend" posts if they are hard to find.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

gurukast:
1. Not hard at all, just a bit of copy pasting should do the trick. I was thinking of adding an option to change the posting button images, but then that's more at the discretion of the template designer though.

2. Looking good. It shouldn't have really long processing times. If you're using the cached system it *may* have some speed increases.

As for compatibility with the eXtreme Styles mod, it should work without a problem at all, thus taking advantage of its increased speed. Only thing that might be a little troublesome is the fact that that mod allows php in the template files, which means that some of your advanced weblog users may be able to include some php in their weblog (which may be a good or a bad thing).

EDIT: I still need to do a lot of changes though, because for large boards with a large number of blogs, the speed of the page will decrease quickly.

3. Sounds good, although guests will have to view the entry by direct link since they won't be able to access it through the blog itself.

4. Now that you mention it, I'm gonna make it so.

5. Excellent idea, i'll start working on that.

EDIT: It's a lot of extra code to do that. It also increases the number of queries per page, so I've opted to just leave it for now.

6. I haven't had much experience with those mods. Sounds like a good idea, I'll probably do it like before (mod support on/off option).

7. No usergroups are created, therefore I guess I should make it so that a blog isn't required to be a friend.

PastorJoeMiller:
That's also a good idea as well. I think I'll add a link or two on weblog_allentries.php, so that you could also link to it from the blog.
The Blog Mod: ( Dev Topic | Demo )
The Blog Mod version 0.2.3 - Released May 18, 2005
Download

Forum Weblogs Mod: (discontinued)
mkongx12

Great Mod!!

Post by mkongx12 »

Hi Hyper,

Great Mod!! Keep up the fantastic work!

Just a few questions:

1) Is there anyway we can make the blog site as nice as those shown in Blogger? (http://www.blogger.com/tour_start.g)

2) Is your mod going to help users to make their sites something like Blogger's site?

3) I see you are also using the FetchAll mod. As I have also used it, I wonder if the installation is going to be as easy as FetchAll? I find FetchAll's installation is easy, but using it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. So I hope your mod will not carry this problem forward.

4) Can the owner of the blog-site upload pictures?

5) Can the owner of the blog-site stop others from uploading pictures at a particular forum/section?

6) What about trackback? Does your mod have it? (http://www.haloscan.com/faq/faq.php?category_id=3)

7) I also came across something called Dlog (yes, it's D, not B). And they have a pretty nice interface, calendar thing, music player, and all cool stuff installed. Will you include it in your mod? (http://ldr.hanzify.org/index.asp?vt=bycat&cat_id=32) or (http://www.dcshooter.com/dlog/)

8) Does your mod support unicode entry?

9) I have also looked at other blogger site as shown in your site. When I clicked on "Comments (x)", it just brings the viewer (me) back to something like a typical phpbb view_topic.php kind of page. If you look at this Dlog site http://www.dcshooter.com/dlog/ , when I click on the "Comments (1)" from what's shown at the end of the first blog message, "By [poorfish] in [Backpacker] at 11:53:35 | Comment[1] | TrackBack[0] | 41 views" , I can see a unified display that is not much different from the original home page. Perhaps you can work on this issue to help the viewers have a more unified experience?

I think that's about all the questions I have, for now. :D

Keep up the fantastic work!

M.

==========

By the way, all the following links are dead:

Each user's weblog page:
http://vince.dynalias.com/weblog_page.png

Mood, and Now Playing in a post.
http://vince.dynalias.com/mood_nowplaying.png

Main List page (modified version of Netcletics original weblog page)
http://vince.dynalias.com/weblog_list.png

Weblog Front Page
http://vince.dynalias.com/weblog_front.png

Here are some pics of the new "Currently" field in action:
http://vince.dynalias.com/currently1.png
http://vince.dynalias.com/currently2.png
http://vince.dynalias.com/currently3.png
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

to answer all your questions, (deep breath)

1. Yes, they can. Weblog templates can be created and then uploaded to a certain directory. Once they are added by the admin, they'll become selectable by normal users. For now, I only have one done and I plan to make a few more.

On the other hand, the administrators can give special priviledges to give certain users FULL control over the html in their weblog. Basically, they can show whatever they want.

2. It's already easy enough, since the posting system and the weblog control panel are similar to phpbb's posting system and it profile control panel.

3. I'm not using FetchAll. This mod is almost completely written from scratch.

4. Not yet. Sometime in the future I'll code a bit for this.

5. I plan to allow uploading of pictures for weblog entries only (and even so, up to a maximum total file size set by an administrator)

6. No it doesn't have it as I'm not quite sure how to work it out in php. I do plan to do it someday as trackback is becoming useful nowadays.

7. Refering to my answer to #1, any amount of "cool stuff" can be included if the weblog owner (with full html rights) wishes, or if the weblog template has it built in.

8. Anything that you can type into a phpbb forum can be posted. Which means you should be able to post chinese characers ;-)

9. Again, that's all at the discretion of the weblog template designer (it's not controllable by users even with full html rights - that's only for their main page)

I should start a new topic, its essentially a new mod.
Download

gurukast

Post by gurukast »

hyperion wrote: to answer all your questions, (deep breath)

6. No it doesn't have it as I'm not quite sure how to work it out in php. I do plan to do it someday as trackback is becoming useful nowadays.

hmmm i stumbled across this the other day..if i can find it back, i'll pass it on to you..
7. Refering to my answer to #1, any amount of "cool stuff" can be included if the weblog owner (with full html rights) wishes, or if the weblog template has it built in.

9. Again, that's all at the discretion of the weblog template designer (it's not controllable by users even with full html rights - that's only for their main page)

He's right...i have templates that change all the page views
hyperion wrote: I should start a new topic, its essentially a new mod.

Yar!
gurukast

Post by gurukast »

hyperion wrote: gurukast:
2. Looking good. It shouldn't have really long processing times. If you're using the cached system it *may* have some speed increases.
EDIT: I still need to do a lot of changes though, because for large boards with a large number of blogs, the speed of the page will decrease quickly.

yeah, thinking that serializing quieres at that stage=good
hyperion wrote: 5. Excellent idea, i'll start working on that.
EDIT: It's a lot of extra code to do that. It also increases the number of queries per page, so I've opted to just leave it for now.

Not sure why.. you're already querying to pull the actual entry, you should be snatching up the style same speed...
hyperion wrote: 6. I haven't had much experience with those mods. Sounds like a good idea, I'll probably do it like before (mod support on/off option).

Nice.....
hyperion wrote: 7. No usergroups are created, therefore I guess I should make it so that a blog isn't required to be a friend.

Whoa... does this mean no more large list of forums with users being thier own moderators? interesting...how is that going to work out in upgrading from when you do have so many usergroups ? btw... thanks for deciphering my atrocious spelling lol
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Updates to the Demo Site:
-Scripts have been tweaked a lot so that most pages no longer have an sql query in a loop (which could result in large wait times on large boards). There are still two pages though where this happens (weblog index and friends page) as they both require some authentication before doing another query. Both are minimalized anyway.

- Custom Block now supports html, smilies and bbcode as per suggestions. Also, it now properly does newlines as html line breaks (before, it didn't and it put all the text on one line).

- Friends Page now stylizes each user's weblog according to his/her weblog style settings. (I found a way, gurukast ;-))

- Weblog pages now show an RSS image in the lower right of the window IF you are using Firefox 1.0 Preview Edition (which all of you should ;-)). If a user clicks that image, they can subscribe to the RSS feed for that weblog. ("Live Bookmark")

Other information:
I've found a GPL license php trackback class that I can implement to send/receive trackbacks. I've already tested pinging another server and it works properly so I'll see what else I can do with it.
gurukast wrote: Whoa... does this mean no more large list of forums with users being thier own moderators? interesting...how is that going to work out in upgrading from when you do have so many usergroups ?

It may just be easier to not deal with this in the upgrade script, since things have changed a lot. For instance, users can designate other users as friends but that user may not be a friend of the first user.
Download

justbishop

Post by justbishop »

Another question: is there not any kind of "watch this topic" option on your own blog entries, or am I just so loopy at the moment that I'm missing it? Also, would it be possible to have the option to be notified of all comments to your blog by email?

I joined the new board, btw, and created a blog...even w/o the full HTML customisation option (you have to be admin approved for that, right?) it's still shaping up to be much easier to customise than the last version :D Great work!
Yoshikku

Post by Yoshikku »

Sorry that I have been so repetitive, but do certain mods interfere with teh weblogs mod not working, or did I just screw everything up.
Cause if other mods are interfering, ill uninstall those to get this one working.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

justbishop: There isn't any "watch topic" option right now, perhaps I might make one in the future. The option to be notified of comments to your own blog sounds like a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the compliments :-)

Yoshikku: The Forum Weblogs Mod doesn't really have any major conflicts with mods. You might want to double check your installation again.
Download

PastorJoeMiller

would your current version with XML tags be compatable with a tool like this http://www.geckotribe.com/rss/grouper/m ... wnload.php
PastorJoeMiller

Release Date: mid-December
Just noticed this mid-December date :( here I was hoping for the end of summer. oh well, at least you are doing a good job with development. :wink:
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

The XML is RSS 2.0 so pretty much most rss aggregators should be able to read the rss feed. The rss feed also complies with the specifications for it so it should be ok, even in the old mod.

I've started University so time may be a little short on my hands, that's why :-(

I'll try my best to get the new mod fully working before my workload starts to increase.
Download

PastorJoeMiller

Thanks for explaining that Hyperion.

I certainly know about the constraints of education. I am currently working on my doctorate and finding time to do all that and my website plus work is often very tough.

Keep up the good work! :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”