[DEV] Bible tags MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
FernFerret349

Post by FernFerret349 »

No problem, and besides changing bible to verse, you will most likely have to change the "55".

Eric
Fish

FernFerret349

Post by FernFerret349 »

Ok the people at NRSV are having trouble because it would still be possible to post 500 verses, i think. I do not know if this would overload phpbb or not, but anyways, does anyone know how to limit the number of overall verses?

Eric
Fish

Triumph the Comic Dog

Post by Triumph the Comic Dog »

FernFerret349 wrote: Ok the people at NRSV are having trouble because it would still be possible to post 500 verses, i think.
Psalms 119 has 176 verses (I think that is the chapter with the most verses)...so I guess you'd really have to try really hard to get more that 500 verses in a post...I suppose it is possible but it would be neither productive nor would it make any sense whatsoever.
FernFerret349 wrote: I do not know if this would overload phpbb or not
Overload phpbb? How? What? Where? Who said? ;)
FernFerret349 wrote: does anyone know how to limit the number of overall verses?
I suppose you could...something to do with this line of code:

Code: Select all

for ($sqlcounter=0;$sqlcounter<$num_results;$sqlcounter++)
or add

Code: Select all

if ($num_results > 500) {
$num_results = 500;
}
before that line.

FernFerret349

Post by FernFerret349 »

Well i have some bad news, after going through about 10 emails, and explaining how it works, I have bee denied permission to complete this project by the NSRV Copyright people. I am sorry to inform any of you that wanted this new version, that now, today as of 6/14/2005 this project is now dead. I do not wish to fight a legal battle, nor do I have the time. I am sorry, but this is really beyond my control.

Eric
Fish

Triumph the Comic Dog

I didn't really expect anything different. KJV, baby! ;)

Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

FernFerret349 wrote: Well i have some bad news, after going through about 10 emails, and explaining how it works, I have bee denied permission to complete this project by the NSRV Copyright people.
Wow, interesting response. What were their specific areas of concern?

Triumph the Comic Dog

Cross_+_Flame wrote: Wow, interesting response. What were their specific areas of concern?
Copyright violation would be my guess.

Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Triumph the Comic Dog wrote:
Cross_+_Flame wrote:Wow, interesting response. What were their specific areas of concern?
Copyright violation would be my guess.
It seems like the violation is unfixable. The problem they have is that it is limited to 500 verses per page, which could mean 5 posts have 100 verses on them, or a 25-post page has 20 verses each. There is no way to limit it per page without some serious parsing on viewtopic, so this would not work.

Thanks to FernFerret349 for his hard work, and I'm sorry it couldn't come true.

Triumph the Comic Dog

Cross_+_Flame wrote: It seems like the violation is unfixable. The problem they have is that it is limited to 500 verses per page, which could mean 5 posts have 100 verses on them, or a 25-post page has 20 verses each. There is no way to limit it per page without some serious parsing on viewtopic, so this would not work.
With a change in "Terms of Service" and good moderators I think the limitations should be easily attainable. :)

Did they offer an option to pay a licensing fee for it's unmetered use?

FernFerret349

Post by FernFerret349 »

I'm sure, but with all websites limiting the number of verses, I doubt its even close to $100, and I just got a new laptop, have to liscence ssp, and don't have the money to do that.

About the terms, I told them that the mods would watch and delete any such posts, considering that it is a private forum, (no one outside can even view it, hmmmm how would they know? :wink: )

As for the kjv, my pastor said nsrv (which is what we use) or no mod.

Thanks you guys for your help

Eric

PS just because I am curious i will check on a price
Fish

Triumph the Comic Dog

FernFerret349 wrote: As for the kjv, my pastor said nsrv (which is what we use) or no mod.
Tell him I said, "Awww, come on, pastor!!! PLEASEEEEEEE!" ;)

:lol:

gfc

Post by gfc »

Hey guys

For my german christian forum I took your mod and made some improvements:

a) It's in German (not realy interesting for you): I choosed the Luther Bible from the year 1912 because it has no copyright. And i changed the Verse Format to "1. Book Chapter,Verse", it's the german style of quoting.

b) I made a Read Bible Online and Search the bible Page. DEMO here: http://www.cportal.net/bibel.php

Because i use the same Database format it would be very easy to change to the KJV. Is anybody interested?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”