[MOD DB][2.0.6] Keep unread flags - 1.0.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ravenhearte

Post by Ravenhearte »

It's setting the text for who's online, and SHOW_ONLINE is defined as true. So I figure the problem has to be in page_header.php. But browsing through the who's online code I can't see anthing wrong, and your mod doesn't seem to affect anything in there, I installed using easymod and it whipped through without a problem. Not sure what's up. I'll keep looking into it. Maybe something I did earlier screwed with it and I just didn't notice it until now.
Ravenhearte

Post by Ravenhearte »

Hmm, it seems to have resolved itself. Strange, has anyone else ever had the Who's Online function stop working for a short period of time? Maybe I just had to wait for the previous session to expire.
madnessmotors

Post by madnessmotors »

Ravenhearte wrote: Hmm, it seems to have resolved itself. Strange, has anyone else ever had the Who's Online function stop working for a short period of time? Maybe I just had to wait for the previous session to expire.

I am having the same problem that you specified.
Josh Windu

Post by Josh Windu »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: And now the 0.0.4 version, which will be the RC (release compliant) one :
  • Changelog:
  • Add the possibility to store unreads topics information to the database rather than in the cookie. Part 5 of the mod, optional,
  • review the install description to ease installation with topic calendar

hehe... thanks ptirhiik :D
Nitrotech - Alpha stage... Your own fully customisable forum! and site!
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Perhaps an issue with your cookie cached by your browser ? Although I really can't figure in which way it can affect the who' online part.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: A list of unread topics and a last visit date for guest has been added to the cookie, that's all :).

Ah, nice. So when they leave, you have a record of which topics they had not yet read. Plus the date. So when they come back, you know which topics the specifically didn't read, and then do you use the standard board logic for new ones? Or do you use the date? Either way, nice idea.

It would be even nicer (hint hint) if it worked from multiple computers. If you can do that, I'll install the mod. Ha, not much of an incentive, I know, but I can't use it without that.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

To be precise, the mod works this way : when the display list is builded (index, viewforum), the already marked as unread topics are added to the new topics based on the last visit date, then the list is destroyed and recreated with the selected topics, then saved. When a topic is readed, or marked as readed, it is removed from the list of unread topics, and the list is saved. The same thing is applied for guests, as a last visit date from this computer is added to the cookie as a permanent data.

If you don't want to use cookie, you can use the database in place : part 5 of the mod : except for guests who will remain using the cookie, the topics list will be store in the users table (in a compressed way :)), making the mod non sensitive to the computer/browser you are using.
ElizabeththeGrey

Post by ElizabeththeGrey »

wow - that mod works perfectly, with none of the flaws I saw reported with the Read Tracking MOD (database space probs, orange flag not appearing). Thanks sooo much!
Ravenhearte

Post by Ravenhearte »

It appears to be an on again off again problem. It'll be missing when I login, reappear when I go to a forum and then back to the index, and it doesn't appear to happen to guests.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

What setting do you use ? db or cookie ?
Ravenhearte

Post by Ravenhearte »

db for the unread topics. clearing the cookies didn't seem to work at first but I closed all IE windows, cleared cookies and deleted temporary internet files and it hasn't happened again yet.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

When you use db, you don't use the cookie for the unread topics, except for guests. So I assume this is a browser cache flaw on your machine. If you experiment this again, try to hit ctrl-f5.
ElizabeththeGrey

Post by ElizabeththeGrey »

I'm going to chime in here and confirm that this bug exists. The who's online box at the bottom of the forum occasionally will show 0 online when I'm logged in. I'm not sure what has caused this issue to crop up all of a sudden.
Ravenhearte

Post by Ravenhearte »

It has to be something with the cookie, since you didn't actually modify anything with the who's online code. I've also had it occasionally just say one user is missing, when in fact I know they're there by the admin panel. Shortly after it went to all zeros again, however.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Ok, try this : in index.php, after write_cookies($userdata); add $forum_id = ''; . It is the only thing I can see than can collapse with the viewonline.php.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”