[DEV] PayPal IPN Integration

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
xmulder

Post by xmulder »

PHPGeek2k3 wrote:
xmulder wrote:no problems at all, im sure that nobody minds how long it takes because at the end of the day you are doing it for free our of your own time so take as long as you need! If anybody should be apologising it should be us for making your schedule more hectic ;)

Thanks For your understanding! Greatly appriciated.

no problems, im sure everybody else feels the same way :P put the keyboard down and have a nice crimbo
SyPhEr

Post by SyPhEr »

Any Progress?
shortbus

Post by shortbus »

:arrow: Bump

How goes it?
Plasmablast

Post by Plasmablast »

Im also interested, any word?
jsmotta

Post by jsmotta »

He said mid January... it's not that yet. Cut the poor guy some slack. :roll:

James,
If/when you get around to this mod... one thing I'd like to see is support for Paypals "subscriptions". You already indicated intent to support people 'buying" their way into certain 'groups', and have it automatically join them to the appropriate group. But in addition, I'd like to to automatically remove them from that group when their 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month subscription expires (at which point they could renew if they wanted). Maybe that was obvious, but in case not, I figured I'd put it out there.
If worse came to worse, once I got your base mod, I could probably mod the mod to do what I need... then give you the new code so you could add it to a future release.
evepowr

Post by evepowr »

You create this mod asap and youll get 30 free bucks from me haha
xmulder

Post by xmulder »

ill send a tenner via paypal if it does what i need ;) I would offer more but i would have to eat dogfood for a week to afford heating ;)
lemon64

Post by lemon64 »

It's a very intresting mod and this is exactly what I want. Anyway, what kind of "extras" do you think that this group would actually be willing to pay for? I really can't think of anything.
nuclearspike

PayPal IPN

Post by nuclearspike »

We implemented a PayPal IPN on our boards which places people into a usergroup upon payment and removes them when their subscription runs out. It emails the users as their payment clears, if it fails, when the cancel (letting them know that they can continue to access the board until their subscription period runs out) and when their subscription runs out (thanking them for being a member and offering a link if they want to sign up again). It also sends email to the board admin for any IPN notification that comes thru. We are in the process of adding a transaction log viewer, it currently keeps the records in a table, but just not a great interface to query them.

We will be adding a PayPal IPN transaction log visible on each user's profile (to admins only) and display their current status, & their expiration date and all related IPN messages about that user specifically. In the ACP, there will be a list of all current paying users with sorting available by expiration, subscription length, etc. As well as the more "noisy" raw IPN log with filtering to only show payments, cancelations, subscription end of term notices, etc.

In the "who's online" section we also have stats of "we have x paying members, y is the newest paying member" in addition to a stat on members of the "community sponsor" group (since we gave away about 20 memberships to friends and board 'pioneers'.) also only visible to admins. In a related mod, we have our default "only users granted special access" page display an ad to get a 15 minute sneak peek of the forum. If they have already done their sneak peek, they get an ad to become a subscriber.

Our promo banner ad at the top goes away based on paying status and is replaced by
Image (this copy of the image is not served from our forum server so don't bother following the url, the real graphic is but due to the nature of our board, i put the example on a separate server).
Users can do a 1 week trial for $1.99 if they want. we pass the user's user_id in the "custom" field of paypal which is passed back to us in the IPN messages.

Our subscription page adjusts itself to the current paying status of the member.
1) if they are not registered or not signed in, it will have links to do so.
2) if they are signed in and not a paying member, it will list the subscription options.
3) if they get to the page again after becoming a paying member, it gives them the option to cancel their membership.

After going to PayPal and completing payment, when you click on the PayPal button to "access subscription" it brings you back and you have instant access to the full forum.

We still have some fine tuning with the querying and display of the transactions for the admins, but our board only opened on Jan 1st (this year) so the log is not huge yet. (we had the idea to start our board on dec 10, phpbb made it very easy to get running, and both of us admins are programmers so we split the custom modding duties, but have used a lot from this site and phpbbhacks.com) IPN implementation and testing took a few nights after work but under a week. The Sneak Peek feature was about 20 hours of coding. Neither of us had ever programmed in PHP before, so a lot of time was just "how do i do x?" and getting familiar with phpBB as a framework and php as a language. both of use had previous SQL experience, though not with mySQL.

We considered using IBill but they want 5x the fees that paypal does and it's required that you cannot have a higher price for ibill transactions to compensate, or to mention the higher fees to users. yuck. their sales dept also sucks, they didn't respond to my emails then sent a letter stating they were waiting to hear back from me. when i responded, they didn't respond to me again!

The whole thing can work without any IPN table at all (which was how we did it at first so we could get up and running asap) and just have email notifications sent the admins, and just have it add/remove users from the usergroup. But I imagine a year down the road, i won't want to search thru IPN emails to figure out what happened to some user claiming he paid for x and didn't get it.

I'd be interested to see how other's have implemented it.

Paul
evepowr

Post by evepowr »

Care to elaborate on your site some more as to how you did this because what you have done is EXACTLY what i want to do to mine. Ill even give you some cash if you can help set it up some. Also whats your site's name.
evepowr

Post by evepowr »

Care to elaborate on your site some more as to how you did this because what you have done is EXACTLY what i want to do to mine. Ill even give you some cash if you can help set it up some. Also whats your site's name.
Angelic81

Post by Angelic81 »

Ok sounds very cool nice work....where can I download this mod?
nuclearspike

Post by nuclearspike »

Angelic81 wrote: Ok sounds very cool nice work....where can I download this mod?

It has not been made into an official mod. I would be willing to share the source code with experienced php programmers who could figure out what to do with it & how to integrate into their site... IOW, I don't want to support it, and that's my only hesitation with sharing is the implication that I must answer questions about it from people who are really just wanting me to do their work for them. If someone (again, experienced) wants make it into a mod, I'd be happy to work with them.

However, as of yesterday, we discovered a clause with PayPal which prohibits accepting money for sites like ours. Read the "Acceptable Use" part of the User Agreement at paypal.com. A sister site of ours just lost their PayPal account because they didn't read it carefully enough. They had to quickly switch over to CCBill. So, we have no plans to continue to enhance what we have since we'll be switching soon as well.

Paul
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I would be very interested in seeing your work. I'll check out the agreement, and see if what I want to do falls within their (PayPal's) restrictions, but I would still like to see your code.

I am more than comfortable with modding, and promise I won't bug you with support questions. 8) You can send me details on how to contact you via PM, or I will send you info instead if you prefer.

Thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
nuclearspike

Post by nuclearspike »

You'll be happy to know that another member has contacted me and I'll be working with him to create an official PayPal IPN mod. I have to spend my time for the moment on switching to ccbill, but I've started the process and he has started looking at the code.

Paul

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”