First attempt at portal type front end + quick help

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
brasco

First attempt at portal type front end + quick help

Post by brasco »

http://security-forums.com

Using part of the statistics mod and rearranging the layout

I have been editting the template files in dreamweaver which gives a pretty good relative position of the tables, although its funny when resizing sometimes that everything goes pear shaped

The question I have is see the way the rank and topic menu is dark blue with orange text on, I want to use that for the other block types for news, advert, login etc

Can anyone tell me how to do this, would be most appreciated
Last edited by brasco on Thu May 16, 2002 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPK

Post by DPK »

looks good so far, however the screen is stretched and i have to scroll left and right to see everything.
See those lights up in the distance? That's me; just try and catch up.

Bear_nG

Post by Bear_nG »

look for a class="" tag in each of the tables on the page - they are taken from the templates.css file under forum/templates/subSilver/ use this for the entire page, so that if you want to have the entire site match your forum, a change in it will alter the entire site, not just the forum.

can you also share the code for your index_new.php file please? As in how you have ripped the statistics mod stuff into it. Looks good. Would like to see if I could modify it for my own page... Even privately if you want via ICQ.

brasco

Post by brasco »

DPK wrote: looks good so far, however the screen is stretched and i have to scroll left and right to see everything.

Thanks DPK, would this be in 800x600 resolution, I made the .tpl file in 1024x768 and since my little knowledge of dreamweaver // browser compatability with resolutions it will probably be a table problem

brasco

Post by brasco »

Bear_nG wrote: look for a class="" tag in each of the tables on the page - they are taken from the templates.css file under forum/templates/subSilver/ use this for the entire page, so that if you want to have the entire site match your forum, a change in it will alter the entire site, not just the forum.

can you also share the code for your index_new.php file please? As in how you have ripped the statistics mod stuff into it. Looks good. Would like to see if I could modify it for my own page... Even privately if you want via ICQ.

Basically removed the SQL queries and stuff from statistics.php which arent being used, such as the most used smilies to make the page execute a bit quicker, then, changed the template file to a new one, page_front.tpl. This is where I am making all the changes now, and then re-upload the new template and the index_new is basically pulling that in.

Ill see if I can tidy it up a little more and get the tables in any resolution so then it can be used easily

brasco

Post by brasco »

Woohoo

Sorted most of this, nice new front page showing

recent users
newest members
top posters
Top threads
Most recent posts
Logged in users
Login page
and a news section :)

All aligned a little nicer and stuff now, using the popular subsilver template

Still havent sorted the 'less than 1024x768' resolution problem

:)

www.security-forums.com

Bear_nG

Post by Bear_nG »

i like it dude - well done

hosers

Post by hosers »

Appears to not be working...

Template->make_filename(): Error - file ./templates/subSilver/front_page.tpl does not exist

Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion »

hosers wrote: Appears to not be working...

Template->make_filename(): Error - file ./templates/subSilver/front_page.tpl does not exist

http://security-forums.com/forum/portal_frontpage.php

Very nice, though it looks a little cluttered.

brasco

Post by brasco »

Thanks

It works fine here, all I can see is maybe the template was being editted as you looked at it maybe

RE: the cluttering its hard to get it right, if we take everything out it looks basic, and sometimes it looks like we've got too much :)

The other option is to have it several pages, and put everything down the sides almost like blocks in phpBB, then we just have general stuff in the middle, like news etc

hosers

yo

Post by hosers »

That indeed is very nice work. Are you experiencing any bugs/security problems since the modifications were made?

Thanks

brasco

Post by brasco »

Bugs or security problems ?

Most stuff seems fine as its just pulling stuff out of the database, such as the most recent topics, recent members etc

The login does work, so you can login from the page. If you tick remember my login this also works, but the login box still appears on the front page, although this doesnt bother me too much.

The best thing is because its using the templates it follows all the other colour schemes, the 'play' theme looks really good on the front page, will get round to doing a new theme in the next few weeks
--------------------------------------------
http://www.security-forums.com

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”