[BETA] CodeCrush Log System (v.0.4.2alpha) (Dec-07)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Darlantan

Post by Darlantan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:28 am

arkange_17: ah.. wether I like it or not, I dunno. I just haven't had use for it ;) I haven't seen that mod-code yet, but I'm guessing this:
Any chance to see a C.H 2.1.6 version of this plugin soon, please ?!

means that you'd like for my mod to log actions performed from admin/pages unique to this C.H. mod? If so then sure I can look into it. It's one of the strongpoints of my rewritten code - relatively easy to add custom log events :)

DCK: make sure you did the manual changes as per logs_install.txt. The modification to common.php makes sure the needed functions are included. I believe all phpBB pages include common.php

TheHackMan: sweetness. And those two links under "IP Log" in Admin Panel are generated by admin_ip_logGY.php. Make sure your browser is not serving you a cached Admin Panel menu, as those 2 links shouldn't exist after deleting that file :)

NOTE: after skimming the code yesterday to answer quibuz' overhead inquiry, I had an urge to improve performance. So I'm currently optimizing parts of the code in this regard.

MaddoxX

Post by MaddoxX » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:42 pm

Is it easy to update from * CCIP Version: 0.3.2 to latest ?
:D

opentoe

Post by opentoe » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:29 am

MaddoxX wrote: Is it easy to update from * CCIP Version: 0.3.2 to latest ?

I have 0.3.1 and would love to upgrade to the newer version. Having said that and then finding out I would have to actually manually remove the old modifications is prohibiting me from even thinking of upgrading. Most likely the fact is when 0.3.1 was installed my good friend did it because I didn't have the time. So this leaves me with not really being familar with the original old install.

I wish this mod could be be ran completely seperate from the phpbb code itself. I mean do not integrate it into the phpbb files itself, but run it's own php code and then just pull the data from the DB to populate the page. Although I guess if phpbb isn't recording something logger needs in the DB, then it's a must to change the original phpbb code.

Me=lazy and looking for an easy way to upgrade to the latest version without spending hours on restoring the entire phpbb system, then upgrading. As I feel this MOD is that important and useful if I have to.

p.s. Happy New Year!

Kay_Davis

logging works but searching does not

Post by Kay_Davis » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Good Day,

I installed the 0.4.0 build on 2.0.21. The install went well with one glitch when it came to loading the country database, that I eventually figured out. The Mod is logging beautifully and I am very happy wioth the prtoduct you put together.

The problem I am having is that when I do a search by IP or by Name the secondary search window opens but does not fill with any information. If I attempt to fill the search box manuially and click search, in the availible box I receive the message "no matches found"

any suggestions
Thanks
Kay

EDIT To add
Sorry Never Mind I figured it out I think
Thanks
Last edited by Kay_Davis on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kay_Davis

Post by Kay_Davis » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:50 pm

one other question.

Occationially in the warning log I am getting a message that looks like this:

29 UserName xxx.xxx.xx.x 2007 Jan 04 11:33 Failed to log action

The User in question is one of the boards admins. Can you tell me what the message means or what causes it?

Thanks
Kay

killyouall

Post by killyouall » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:10 am

wow found this mod while looking for another and i like it lol definally a must i will try it out

opentoe

Post by opentoe » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:46 pm

killyouall wrote: wow found this mod while looking for another and i like it lol definally a must i will try it out

As phpbb3 rolls out, less and less mods will be needed as the B4 already has basically what this does really. It would be nice one day to actuallly work and run a fully un-modified forum, so the operation and efficiency of it isn't compromised by mod bugs.

killyouall

Post by killyouall » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 am

opentoe wrote:
killyouall wrote:wow found this mod while looking for another and i like it lol definally a must i will try it out

As phpbb3 rolls out, less and less mods will be needed as the B4 already has basically what this does really. It would be nice one day to actuallly work and run a fully un-modified forum, so the operation and efficiency of it isn't compromised by mod bugs.

honestly i really i liek and dont like that i enjoy modding forums this way im learning php and it always leaver room to custimise it more and more and no matter how many features they put in it someone will always think of somethign to add to it

opentoe

Post by opentoe » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:59 am

killyouall wrote:
opentoe wrote:
killyouall wrote:wow found this mod while looking for another and i like it lol definally a must i will try it out

honestly i really i liek and dont like that i enjoy modding forums this way im learning php and it always leaver room to custimise it more and more and no matter how many features they put in it someone will always think of somethign to add to it

There is no doubt features will be requested...but the rate of changes and upgrades that do come out you start not to enjoy running a board and end up spending all your time editing files and making it work. I'm set on staying mod free with 3. I finally want to enjoy it and get out of it why I put it up in the first place. Who knows, I'll want to do something to it. When 3.0 is released, I will need to wait until a few newer versions come out since always the first one is a huge target for people to hack into it and the holes will be usually patched up with some quick upgrades. It's all opinion here though.

Kay_Davis

Post by Kay_Davis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am

Hey guys this thread is supposed to be about the Mod, there are other threads on the subject of Olympus (ver 3), can you take the discussion there please

Kay

Xenofur

Post by Xenofur » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm

hmm, i just installed this and it's not logging anything. :/

most probably because i have CH 2.1.6 installed, as it comments out the two functions this mod edits in the functions.php files.

anyone got any idea how to get this to work?

RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the new version of the IP Logging system, I have just installed it and its fantastic... especially the moderation/admin logging inclusions as now I have been able to remove the staff log mod I had on as this one does everything :D

I have a couple of questions though I hope you can help me with, both to do with the following screenshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ ... enshot.jpg

Firstly, the visitors I have highlighted are not members of our forum, nor are they actually registered. I understand that this mod identifies members even before they have logged in by listing them in black, including new members whom have just registered.

So how would this be possible, wouldn't these people had to have completed their registration form in order for the log system to identify them by their new username? The only conclusion I can come up with is that they are spambots, as I currently have the KittenAuth and a couple of other botstopper mods installed for the registration page?

Secondly, as you can hopefully see in the screenshot also, the logging pages don't fit in the ACP and all have scrollbars which is kind of annoying. Would there be any way to fix this?

I appreciate your support.

Cheers,

RT.

Darlantan

Post by Darlantan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:43 am

MaddoxX: It's not easy to update from 0.3.2 to 0.4.x, because the db-tables and fields have been changed. Which is why 0.3.2 should be removed first, before installing 0.4.x. But at the same time it's my opinion that removing 0.3.2 is easy. And installing 0.4.x should be even easier.

opentoe: I've actually tried separating this logger from phpBB as much as possible - and make the install as easy as possible. 0.4.x changes very few original phpBB codelines.

In regards to Olympus, I have not looked at the 4th beta. But atleast in an earlier beta, it didn't log proxy data. When I started this mod, I made it for personal use - to help root out "spies" from a clan-site. I'm not forcing anyone to use it; just making it available for anyone.

Kay_Davis: the "Failed to log action" is like a fallback log method to alert you/me of any log-problems. To find out what causes it I guess you could start by asking the user what action he performed at those times. This could be quite helpfull for me incase this relates to a bug.

Xenofur: I didn't know that. Making a note to look into it.

RedTrinity: the mod logs both usernames and user_ids. The names will only show as links if a positive user_id was logged. Sometimes when the log-function is triggered the global $userdata array holds a username, but not a positive id. I actually don't know why this is - except for logins and registrations that is, where the log.function can make a log-entry before the phpBB-system verifies the username/pass/user_id stuff.

As for the wide page.. the only way to fix that would be to reduce the font-sizes and remove some of the columns displayed. If you know alittle bit of HTML you could try removing the columns you don't need from the template (like browser-data, proxy-data). You can also use a shorter date/time string by modifying the format in the Log Config section.

RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Darlantan wrote: RedTrinity: the mod logs both usernames and user_ids. The names will only show as links if a positive user_id was logged. Sometimes when the log-function is triggered the global $userdata array holds a username, but not a positive id. I actually don't know why this is - except for logins and registrations that is, where the log.function can make a log-entry before the phpBB-system verifies the username/pass/user_id stuff.

Lol yeah that is a bit strange, especially when it appears that none of these visitors actually followed through with completing their registration form as I didn't receive notification about any of their accounts or have them appear in the memberlist etc. Thats why I am thinking they must be bots, as the botstopper modifications probably stopped them in their tracks from a successful registration.

But its handy to know, at least I can still track who is trying to sign up as well as who actually does :D

Will look into editing the template and see if that helps the size of the IP log page, thanks very much for the suggestion.

Once again congrats on such a fantastic mod, I really don't know how any forum could function efficiently without it!

neonrider

Question or suggestion

Post by neonrider » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:42 pm

We have uploaded the IP log mod and it seems to work somehow in a very simplistic way, but it still does not display an IP address under "User Management" page. Usually any software shows registered user's IP and allows to block it right there on the same user registration page. In PHPBB even with this IP mod one still has to go and view "Visitor Log" and guesswork which visitor or IP could be the user "forexample".
phpbb version 2.0.21 (moded with CodeCrush Log System (v.0.4.1) and 3.0.4 installed with Fantastico de Luxe.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”