[DEV] Avatar Character Generator (pre-alpha release out)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
amorya

[DEV] Avatar Character Generator (pre-alpha release out)

Post by amorya »

Edit: Work in progress demo available here. Username test password test, or make your own account.

First initial pre-alpha release: see post on page five of this thread for download details.

OK, I've seen a lot of requests for this one, and I'd kinda like to use it myself, so I thought I'd have a go at writing it. The idea is a character generator like on http://www.go-gaia.com. Site users will be able to make up their own avatar characters by selecting from multiple features, such as hair styles, clothes, eyes etc.

I'm not sure how complex this mod will be yet. This will be the first mod I've actually made specifically for release. I've done a lot of modding for my own use before, but that's easier 'cos I don't have to worry about compatibility with subSilver or using the PHPBB coding guidelines.

OK, onto the features.
  • Admin defines all the items available to the mod.
  • Admin also defines 'layers'. They show which order the graphics are pasted together.
  • Layers can be compulsory (like hair) or optional (like accessories).
  • Graphics will be in the PNG or GIF format and must include transparency.
  • Users will be able to edit their character at any time.
  • Characters will be saved when they've been edited, to avoid having to redraw the graphics each time.
  • This mod will require GD for graphics
There are also some features I'd like to include, if I get time.
  • Save Graphics Packs (similar to smiley packs) to give to other mod users.
  • Integrate fully into the admin panel, instead of using my own admin page.
  • Requirements for certain items - either post count or 'points' if you have a mod using points.
I'll post a demo as soon as I've got something to show. At the moment I've laid out the basics of the database schema and started working out how it fits together.

Amorya
Last edited by amorya on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Zen cPanel Templating System - want to write cpanel skins using the PHPBB templating engine?

KatKult

Great !

Post by KatKult »

Can't wait for more !
Will the admin be able to select if users can re-edit their avatars after creation or not ? Will it be possible to include a "store" function for accessories ?
Thanks, and let's keep in touch

amorya

Post by amorya »

Store for accessories: I wasn't planning on that (it'd involve creating a separate instance for each item, instead of just duplicating them each time) but if development goes well then who knows? :)

Re-editable avatars: At the moment my plan is to make these characters totally separate from the avatar system already in PHPBB. So an admin can use one, both or neither. So no, there's not really any way the user could edit the character other than via this script.

Amorya
Last edited by amorya on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Zen cPanel Templating System - want to write cpanel skins using the PHPBB templating engine?

theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

well, you can incorporate it with zarath's shop.. thats where u buy the items.. then the points of course cuz u need gold to buy them...

with that, u already have a storing place.. its ur inventory!

amorya

Post by amorya »

theanimewizard wrote: well, you can incorporate it with zarath's shop.. thats where u buy the items.. then the points of course cuz u need gold to buy them...

with that, u already have a storing place.. its ur inventory!

Hmmm - I'll have a look at how the shop works. That might solve the problem. I could have the admin define a special layer for inventory items or something...

That'll come later in development though. At the moment, I'm just working on making a character out of various graphics. Will look at the whole owning items thing after I've got this working.

Amorya

KatKult

gd

Post by KatKult »

I feel stupid by just asking this question but, what does GD stands for ?

amorya

Re: gd

Post by amorya »

KatKult wrote: I feel stupid by just asking this question but, what does GD stands for ?

Y'know, I've no idea what it stands for!

GD is a library that you can attach to PHP and let it manipulate graphics. If your website is hosted with someone else (as opposed to you having your own server), then you should check with them if it's installed or not.

Amorya

KatKult

GD Graphics Library

Post by KatKult »

Ok, thanks, that wasn't much but it helped me find more about it after a quick search. In case anyone else wonders, here's a link to the official GD website (Am I allowed to post link in this forum ??? if not, just tell me, I'll remove it ASAP)

http://www.boutell.com/gd/

New: Surfing through the FAQ, I came across this information, which relieved me: php 4.3.x is available, and it includes a version of gd as "standard equipment."
Last edited by KatKult on Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Wow been looking for this

If ya need any help,
then dont be a stranger :roll:

KatKult

GD

Post by KatKult »

I just mailed my host to ask about it ... I hope they have it configured, or else if I could at least do it myself, but I wouldn't think so ...

Narc0sis

Post by Narc0sis »

a good option for this would be to allow members to pick between a regular avatar or a character avatar, giving them the option to use the mod or not.

pappa

Post by pappa »

I have to saw wow this would be a great mod :-)
cant wait to see how things go with this :-)

theanimewizard

Post by theanimewizard »

and and and, like go gia, the first time u pick, u can pick already the hair color, skin complexion, eye color, etc.

then, if u want a boy or a girl..

we needa REALLY SKILLED person maker so that the people dont look like crap =\

Seven2

Post by Seven2 »

I have been to that one site b4. I you making it exactly like that one?
It looked like the users could 'draw' it out on like somthing like paint.

pappa

Post by pappa »

Yes I would hope that you would not get the GD libs to do all the drawings as I dont think any one would want a match stick man :-) use them to do the overlays and if possible use these images as a base for your images

A Standard blank template

A old style Star treck template

A new style Star treck template

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”