[ALPHA] NewTopic RequiresAdditionalFields 0.1.0b

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:58 pm

Nice Mod, It is coming along very nicely, just checked out the demo forun.

I run a techsupport site so when this mod goes gold, i'll be planning on using it. Let me know if you need any help with the coding. Im currently Coding The MyAdminNotes Mod.

Also just a suggestion,

what if, when a user registered they had to fell out these requirements in order to register. Then when they start a topic to a Specific support forum, it pulled the information. Instead of having to put it in at post.
It would releive the clutter a little, or make it as a popup.

steveorg

Post by steveorg » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:40 pm

what if, when a user registered they had to fell out these requirements in order to register.

The concept of defaulting info from the profile, including modded ones, would also be very useful for my usage. This would be a great feature.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:51 am

Hi Bob, hi Steve,
I have already been thinking about such a feature. Someone else further up the thread already had the same idea ...
Omen wrote: here is a feature i think would be great:
a member only needs to fill in that information once...
if they need support again, the fileds will already be filled in with their previous info... BUT can always update it in a new post...

And that idea is close to how I am planning to implement this:
Whenever a user makes his first post in a forum, he will be given the chance to save his additional data for the next time.

:!: Where first post really means: first post, after that forum has been configured to use a Template for RequiredAdditionalFields. And to make it even more confusing ...
... here's how it will *really* work technically:
As you can define several Templates of RequiredAdditionalFields in ACP and then assign every forum on your board ONE or NO such template ... this means that you could have different forums using the same Template of RequiredAdditionalFields !
So whenever a user posts, these steps are being taken:
  • Check if the forum uses a Template for RequiredAdditionalFields .. and if so: which one?
  • Check to see whether this user has ever submitted a post based on that Template before.
  • If NO: At the bottom of the additional "dialog" there will be a checkbox asking whether to remember the data for the next post or not. *1
  • If YES: Set all defaults in the additional "dialog" to the values the user submitted the last time *1
*1 => And to be even more precise in that point ... The checkbox will also be there if the answer was YES. If you uncheck the box, then it will use the data you just submitted in the additional "dialog" in your current post and come back with your "old data" when posting next time.

:oops: I wonder whether everyone can still understand what I am saying :? ... and hope that would suit your needs too ?

Cheers,
Manfred.

P.S.
Don't get nervous, if you don't see any progress at my test-board the next couple of days ... I need to get a project finished for one of my customers until next tuesday, so I have to concentrate on that a bit more :-)
I will answer to feedback anyway ... so tell me what you think.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)

Omen

Post by Omen » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:26 am

every time i log onto phpBB i check this thread....
here's how it will *really* work technically

i understood it perfectly and having the ability to store pre-recorded information based on which forum you are in is beautiful...

steveorg

Post by steveorg » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:38 pm

It is perfectly clear. Your implementation is better than using the profile for the default info. :)

Xxh2kxX

thankyou

Post by Xxh2kxX » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:13 pm

U know i was Searching for this mod long time ago .. And know i find it . .. It's Very intersting if u let me know its already done or u need some time to dev it .. i would like to test it .. is there any link to download this mod .. :?:

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:22 pm

... as you can see from the subject: It is still in [DEV]elopment :-)

No code to be released in this early stage, but I am confident to be getting this into an ALPHA in the next two weeks.
So just keep watching this thread and you'll be informed.

Cheers,
Manfred.

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:43 pm

I understand totally how its going to work. And it's a great idea. I also would like to test it out when it goes to Alpha or Beta stage. I got quite a few demo/test boards set up on my host, and my computer at home. At home I run IIS on XP pro and host is Apache on linux. So I get the benifit of testing something out on both :wink:.

Just let me know if ya need anything. I'm pretty good with debuging code and stuff. Use to be a teachers aid in a c++ class.....which was full of students that thought it would be an easy class to take. Every five minutes, "uhhhhhhhhhhh, dustin why isn't working". ehhee

Xxh2kxX

Thankyou

Post by Xxh2kxX » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:44 pm

mad-manne wrote: ... as you can see from the subject: It is still in [DEV]elopment :-)

No code to be released in this early stage, but I am confident to be getting this into an ALPHA in the next two weeks.
So just keep watching this thread and you'll be informed.

Cheers,
Manfred.

ofcource . take tyt to dev this mod .. i hope u done very soon ..

Thankyou :)

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:05 pm

DemonBob wrote: I also would like to test it out when it goes to Alpha or Beta stage ..... So I get the benifit of testing something out on both :wink:.
Consider yourself as being in the team :-)

DemonBob wrote: Just let me know if ya need anything. I'm pretty good with debuging code and stuff.
Well, yes there is something you could help me with ...
I see what your are just about to develop and this includes adding a separate "Category" to the ACP which includes several "own" pages.
I believe that I have read something about the required way of doing this, but I forgot where it was. Although I'm pretty sure, that I would find out how to do it, it seems like you've just been into it. So you could send me your hints via PM or E-Mail. (Just think it would "widen" this thread too much, so I'd prefer PM/E-Mail)

Should I get stuck anywhere else ... be prepared to have me firing at you with questions :twisted: ... Just joking of course 8)

Cheers,
Manfred.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:20 pm

Hi everyone ...
for several reasons, I have decided to delete all users on my test-board and ONLY leave the test-account active!

So from now on use this to log on to the board:
username: mad-tester
password: crazy

I have setup the test-board to admin-activation for new members, but will actually not allow any new members for the moment.

Hope I don't p**s anyone off, but I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to keep an eye on whatever users are trying to logon to the board and start misusing MAIL or PM 4 whatever.

Cheers,
Manfred.

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:26 pm

Everything is looking good, good idea on the user lockdown, atleast you don't have to worry about spamming.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:30 pm

DemonBob wrote: Everything is looking good, good idea on the user lockdown, atleast you don't have to worry about spamming.

Hi Bob,
that's exactly why I did it.

The last 2 users that made an account supplied an invalid E-mail so I started worrying about freaks trying to misuse that board in any way. Just don't have the time to keep an eye on those kind of fellas :-)

... and *Yes* received your PM. Thanks ... will go at it once it's time to start with the ACP-section.

Cheers,
Manfred.

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:01 pm

I've been thinking indepth about this mod here lately, seeming as it would be very useful for my site. Which is a tech support mod. And it just hit me of the complexity of it.

Acctually if a user is able to set it up through admin add to what field he wants, and where, and what options are in the field. Thats a hell of a lot of self constructing arrays you going to have to write. If that is the way you going to to it. The other option would be tons of conditions loops that would check to creat the template each time.

How are you planning on doing it? is my main question. Like I said i've been doing a lot of thinking on this mod. And I want to provide feedback in anyway possible that would help develop this mod to its fullest potential.

Another question, is this going to be admin specfic mod, or will the moderators have access to setting the fields also. Just wondering, because some of the tech sites that I give support at, not includeing my own. THe mods are the ones that have the vas knowledge and knowhow.
And they have specifc ideas thier selves on what should be posted inorder to have enough information to give support. Or atleast the group moderators should have the power to change it. Or modifiy it to and extent. Maybe for security reason have it set up where the Admin has to aprove the changes by PM or E-Mail in order for them to go into effect. Also that would be a nice feature to implicate with an on/off button for it.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:13 pm

DemonBob wrote: I've been thinking indepth about this mod here lately ... And it just hit me of the complexity of it.
... well I have spent some thoughts too :lol: and as far as I'm concerned, the complexity comes in when writing the GUI that handles setup & editing of the Templates for RequiredAdditionalFields.
Acctually if a user is able to set it up through admin add to what field he wants, and where, and what options are in the field. Thats a hell of a lot of self constructing arrays you going to have to write

Well it's not a normal user(in terms of a registered user), but rather an admin to do that kind of stuff. But yes, it will be user-customisable in-depth! I am using a bunch of self-constructing arrays to do the trick :-)

Here's how it's done: ... (RAF = RequiredAdditionalFields)
  1. Check to see whether the forum requires a template of RAF and store it to $praf_template_id (unique ID of template-table in DB)
  2. Get a fieldlist from fields-table, WHERE praf_template_id = $praf_template_id
    -->In the order that the user specified when setting up template of RAF
  3. Populate an array $my_fields with the basic information about field_id(unique ID in fields-table),field-name,type,etc.
  4. Iterate over $my_fields and get fieldoptions from another table, where field_id = $field_id
  5. Generate the HTML-code for every field (e.g. <input type="text" ...>
It's actually already in the code at my test-board, but it still needs some final polishing :-)
Another question, is this going to be admin specfic mod, or will the moderators have access to setting the fields also ..... are the ones that have the vas knowledge and knowhow. And they have specifc ideas thier selves on what should be posted inorder to have enough ..... Or atleast the group moderators should have the power to change it.

... that's another good point. I will think about ways of having the possibilty of granting users the right to control the setup of the templates or parts of it!

:!: One other thing I started thinking about is related to the integrity of the data. This gets interesting when a template of RAF gets edited, and you already have posts based on that template. Here's a couple of things to look at, and I am interested in your thoughts(if any) without telling you about my concrete thoughts. This way yours won't be contaminated by mine :roll:

Cheers and thanks for your constructive feedback,
Manfred.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”