[ALPHA] NewTopic RequiresAdditionalFields 0.1.0b

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:38 pm

mad-manne wrote: :!: One other thing I started thinking about is related to the integrity of the data. This gets interesting when a template of RAF gets edited, and you already have posts based on that template. Here's a couple of things to look at, and I am interested in your thoughts(if any) without telling you about my concrete thoughts. This way yours won't be contaminated by mine :roll:

Well based on the situation, data intergty should not be too hard if you change RAF since someones last post. Just have to use a very good comparsion function.

You could create a comparison function that every single times a user post a new topic it checks to see if the last RAF stored for him is the same, (for the particular forum), or not, if its not the same, it could break it down to the raw array minus the orginal users stored input, and compare the arrays. Then if it is different it populates the new array with what ever exisiting data matchs, and still displays for him to add the new information in to it.

Or instead of it doing this at each post, you could add a resync function in to the admin to resync the new RAF's with the old one. And append the old data with the new one, and have it set to where if the new RAF's is not completely filled out. It promts the user to enter the rest of the required information

You'd prolly have to use another table, as kinda a backup of the last one to compare the new one too.

Now all this comparsion is very dependent on weather or not the RAF's field_ids are static, or not that way it has something to compare it to.

I hope I explained it in a way that is understandable. I can program something, but I'm just not good at explaing how to do it even though I got it in my head.

Anotherway is to discard the old RAF totally and just have the user input all the Required Fields again as a one time thing, till the admin decides to change it again. <- this I think would be the easyiest way.

So we got
  • 1. Comparison functions, comparing new RAF, with old, and populating new with old RAF's data (would only work on static names tho.) THen it would ask the user, on thier next post to finish filling the new fields out
  • 2. Or Dump the old RAF' completly and have the user fill out the new one totally

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:33 am

:!: I don't know if you thought about this, but is the user's RAF's info going to be viewable in thier profile, because as you know once someone starts a post on a particular problem. Some else will eventaly post on it, with a "I am having this problem to." WHich since its only a first post feature. It would be a nice idea by having thier previous posted info viewable VIA thier profile.

Just trying to lead ya ideas to help develop this mod to the fullest, hope im not aggervateing ya.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:07 am

hey bob,
I'll be back with answers soon ... but as I said somewhere before: I'll have to get a project finished until tuesday and this while eat most of my time!
... need to make a living somehow :roll:
Just trying to lead ya ideas to help develop this mod to the fullest, hope im not aggervateing ya
Don't actually know the exact meaning of aggervateing, but it looks like this means something like being a pain in the a** ??
NO, you're not! I like your feedback, so go on :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Manfred.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:28 am

I know what you mean about being busy. I myself currently got 2 projects going on. Creating a site for a mortage company. And I am scripting a another local companys intranet site.

Don't sweat it, this thing should be on the bottom of your list. A persons gotta live, and to live they gotta work, and make money.

I write maybe one function for my mod a night, if even that. hehe. Last night all I really did was spend a few mintues commenting my code, cause thats all the time I had.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:39 am

... hey guys 8)
just wanted to let you know that I'm still here!

The project for my customer is making good progress, so I'll be back soon.

:roll: Just to relax a little during breaks in my current project, I have started the part, where I have to check that RAF*1 have all been filled in ... So here's just another small thing you could help me with:

For the Error-Box that will appear on top of the page(Like when having an empty subject), I'd like to know which one of the following messages would be correct to tell the user that something is missing
  1. You forgot to fill in some required fields
  2. You forgot to submit some required fields
  3. You forgot to specify some required fields
Or would anyone use something else to tell the user what's wrong?!
In addition, there will be an asterisk in red * to indicate each missing field!

Cheers,
Manfred.

*1 Starting from now, I will be using the abbreviation RAF instead of always typing RequiredAdditionalFields !

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:31 pm

mad-manne wrote:

I like b.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:31 pm

hey everyone,
as I said ... I had been pretty busy until today but here I am back again :lol:

RIght back from work, I threw in some lines of code to check that RAFs are submitted.
Just go and check it out at the test-board
DemonBob wrote:
I like b.

... you'll realize that I changed the message again, and I hope it's O.K. like that ?
Today I am too tired to answer all the other question you had up the thread, but I'll be back with them as I promised :roll:

Cheers,
Manfred.

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:46 pm

The new message that you have is just fine. Makes it sound professional.

Hey, do you have ICQ, or any other Instant Messenging software?

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:44 am

Hi Bob,
so as I promised ... I'm back with some answers:

RAF-info in profile ?
DemonBob wrote: :!: I don't know if you thought about this, but is the user's RAF's info going to be viewable in thier profile, because as you know once someone starts a post on a particular problem. Some else will eventaly post on it, with a "I am having this problem to." WHich since its only a first post feature. It would be a nice idea by having thier previous posted info viewable VIA thier profile.
Well to be honest, I didn't really intend to make this information viewable in the profile, but rather just link this information to the user-id in order to have it available when he makes a new post!

But I *do* understand your idea behind it and could think of something like that:
If a user jumps into a thread with something like "Yeah I had this prob too" ... and assuming that he has ever before started a new thread based on the same template of RAF ... I could place an additional button next to the "profile"-button granting access to that info!
This should be configurable as to which people are allowed to see this! (Users / Moderators / Admins)

:idea: I can't promise to add such a feature, but assuming that I would add it ... depending on how my progress will be, I'd decide whether this would be in the 1.0.0 or come later.

data-integrity ?
DemonBob wrote: Well based on the situation, data intergty should not be too hard if you change RAF since someones last post. Just have to use a very good comparsion function.
. . . . . . .
Or instead of it doing this at each post, you could add a resync function in to the admin to resync the new RAF's with the old one. And append the old data with the new one, and have it set to where if the new RAF's is not completely filled out. It promts the user to enter the rest of the required information
I will find a way to handle changes in the RAF-template and deal with "older" data. I am planning on using unique-ids (timestamped hashes) to name the variables. This way I can definitely find the fields a user has "used" before and which ones are new.

My initial question about this pointed into a completely different direction:
  1. Let's say you have a forum up & running with a template of RAF for a while. You'll have a number of posts using the RAF and when viewing the posts you will see what users have submitted into RAFs.
    Now if you edit your template and drop one field, because you don't think you'll need it anymore ... should older posts still display the information that was submitted for that field or not??
  2. Like before you have your forum with RAF and many posts using them ...
    What if you decide to setup that forum to not use a template of RAF anymore or what would be even worse: Use a different template of RAF in that forum.
    Would you still want to display the old data in old posts ??
Tell me what you think about it ...
BTW: steveorg, Xxh2kxX, omen ... are you guys still in the boat ??

Cheers,
Manfred.

P.S.: I don't have any IM because I consider them to be a *big* security issue :?

Hater

Post by Hater » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:09 pm

Hmm..

Some potential issues..

1.) Say I create a post and realize I forgot to enter something or entered something incorrectly. I noticed I cannot go back and edit that information. Unfortunately the world is not the perfect place this MOD wants it to be, and mistakes are made.

2.) Not exactly sure how you're saving the selected information into the post table, but I would assume that if you went as far as assigning a numeric value (Up to 254 I believe you said) for different topic templates, then saving the template ID along with the information would be critical, and making sure that when the template is changed a new template ID was assigned. I would expand the ID from 254 up to at least a medium integer and allow a little more room for many thousands of IDs should the need arise. This way, say down the line you decide to change the formate of one of the forums' templates, old templates will not conflict, but could still be editable because it still understands it's old template ID and what it consists of. Deleting or hard-editing of that template ID would of course result in lost data.

3.) Because your test account seems to have it's settings already hard-saved into that forum, I find it unfortunate that in the event I upgrade my hardware, I cannot edit that information via a new post in that same forum. Say 6 months ago I had WinME, and now I have WinXP and have another question. Because that info is stuck there, I can never edit it or ask a new question with correct info.

The ideas are good and I can see the need for some people to have it the way that it is, but I think that realistically, those ideas are flawed in their design.

All together an awesome MOD that I can definately see being in high demand. Looks nicely thought out and seems to work quite quickly and without problem. :)

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:53 pm

hmm i have a question about this mod, i know its still in developement but i would like to know its possibilities

i would want to use this for a fan lyric forum, so it would be nice to have a "based on song" field or an "album field"

now i also want to be able to pull the post's data to display on another page in a more organised format than that of a forum.. something like

Album title
... song_title
...... (a whole list of fanlyrics based on this song)

can it be done?

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:22 pm

mad-manne wrote: Hi Bob,
My initial question about this pointed into a completely different direction:
  1. Let's say you have a forum up & running with a template of RAF for a while. You'll have a number of posts using the RAF and when viewing the posts you will see what users have submitted into RAFs.
    Now if you edit your template and drop one field, because you don't think you'll need it anymore ... should older posts still display the information that was submitted for that field or not??
  2. Like before you have your forum with RAF and many posts using them ...
    What if you decide to setup that forum to not use a template of RAF anymore or what would be even worse: Use a different template of RAF in that forum.
    Would you still want to display the old data in old posts ??
Tell me what you think about it ...

I get where you going with this now, sorry at the time i posted that my head was in the clouds from scritping for 24 hours stright.

Well my person opinion is that if someone changes the RAF, wether its one feild or the whole thing, the older post should stay the same, because of the fact that that post is based on that RAF's, and all the answer or other post on that thread are related to that particluar RAF's, so newer users looking at that post, may get confused because the NEW RAF's posted thier are not on the same track as the post.

Put it this way, if an Admin has an RAF orgianly on a forum, of computer techsupport, with the noraml information that people should fill out for tech. i.e. OS, Motherboard, Video and other stuff. Well when a user does a search for a problem relateing to lets say a NVIDIA Video card, he looks at the post and, since the Admin changed the RAF's since that post. THe users computer config for that post would be changed and thier for not help the current user with his or her problem.

This is just my personal opinion on the subject, since I see the usefulness of leaving the old RAF's in the post. But it's only one view on the subject. In other cases it may be valid in dropping the RAF in all previous post.

Once situation I can think of, is that if a forum starts growning, and a Admin deciddes he wants to split forum in to. I.E I have an Operating System support forum thats is getting crowded, with lets say 15000 post, and I want to split the forum into two, I.E Windows OS Support and Linux OS support. And starting going through all the post to sort them and move them accordingly. To the right forums. Normal when someone splits a forum, they rename the current one (OS Support) to windows support. And just add another forum, moving all relevent topics to the second one.

I know it seems like im taking both sides, but im just trying to give you a pro and con of discarding them, or keeping them...

Hope some of this helps.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16 am

Hi Hater, Silverhawk060 and bob,
I'm sad to say that I will be offline for 2 days because I have a job that will eat my time until saturday ... :oops:

I'll be back with answers 4 all of you, and your feedback is appreciated!

--> Silverhawk: sorry for deleting you on my test-board, but that's the most "hazzle-free" solution for my test-board at the moment. I hope you can deal with the test-account :?

Maybe, maybe if I'm not back too late tomorrow night I might answer earlier ....

So don't be sad and 'til saturday,
Manfred.

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:16 am

its ok :)
i just would like to know if what i said *points above* can be done, also i wouldn't mind being a beta tester :D

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:01 am

I have updated the initial post in this thread to reflect the development this has taken so far. So those who jumped in later(and maybe the others too??) might consider reading that in order to be up to date :wink:

Cheers,
Manfred

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”