[BETA] DigiChat/phpBB Integration

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
tbartold

[BETA] DigiChat/phpBB Integration

Post by tbartold »

I'm working on integrating DigiChat with the phpBB user authentication. I'm interested in getting feedback, and suggestions on my current work in progress. I have been using this on a test site, but it seems stable enough with the features that are there, so I'm willing to take feedback.

You can dounload it as digichat_beta.zip which contains everything you need except for your own applet code. If you use the javascript applet code provided, it won't work.

Currently implemented features:
  • Requires phpBB use authentication before opening the page with the applet.
    Sends User profile information from phpBB to be used in the DigiChat profile
    Store DigiChat Buddy List information in the phpBB database, and send it to DigiChat when the user starts the applet.
    Selects between regular chat applet and chatMaster applet based on phpBB user level (this probably should be changed to being in a ChatMaster group)
    Additional DigiChat profile information can be stored in the phpBB database
Features not yet implemented but being worked on:
  • User can select a DigiChat avatar to be stored in the phpBB database
    Display a list of Who's chatting on the phpBB index page
If you think there are other features that could be useful, pplease post and let me know. If you try it out, please let me know about any problems or bugs, or if it's just not clear how to use or install it.
Last edited by tbartold on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Abax

Post by Abax »

Hey
I needed that for my site and worked on it before. I was able to make the friend's list of phpBB (that cme with PCP) match the ones of Digichat. Change either list would change the other at the same time. Let me know if you are interested I could send it to you.
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

1. Does this require I have a version of DigiChat bought and licensed? (cuz they are EXPENSIVE)

2/ Any possibility of a "who is online" feature? (ie. a small # on the overall_header that shows how many people are chatting?)
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Cross_+_Flame wrote: 1. Does this require I have a version of DigiChat bought and licensed? (cuz they are EXPENSIVE)

Of course. All you get without a license is some cool phpBB stuff that won't do anything.
Cross_+_Flame wrote: 2/ Any possibility of a "who is online" feature? (ie. a small # on the overall_header that shows how many people are chatting?)

It could, but it would not be accurate. You can check the sessions database to see who'd on the chat page, but if they also go to another page, then the session will show that page instead. Check out the who's online page and see where it shows you when you have two or more pages open. I also like nielmac's idea of putting a little (c) in the current who's online list to show them in chat.
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Abax wrote: Hey
I needed that for my site and worked on it before. I was able to make the friend's list of phpBB (that cme with PCP) match the ones of Digichat. Change either list would change the other at the same time. Let me know if you are interested I could send it to you.

I don't use PCP, but I'd be intersted in seeing it anyway. I wonder if I'm missing anything in what I can get from the DigiChat applet.
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

tbartold wrote:
Cross_+_Flame wrote:1. Does this require I have a version of DigiChat bought and licensed? (cuz they are EXPENSIVE)

Of course. All you get without a license is some cool phpBB stuff that won't do anything.

Ah, too bad. I can't afford software like that. :?
Seven-

Post by Seven- »

Not sure if im asking the wrong thing, but do you might have a demo?
alsakrah

Post by alsakrah »

Seven- wrote: Not sure if im asking the wrong thing, but do you might have a demo?

Yes we need for demo of this geat mod 8O
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Demo??? I have it running on a test install of 2.0.8a. But it should go live this coming week. I'll post a link for y'all, probably next weekend. But it's a real board, not just a demo (don't know that I can set that up). So... you'll have to register to use it.
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Cross_+_Flame wrote: 2/ Any possibility of a "who is online" feature? (ie. a small # on the overall_header that shows how many people are chatting?)

I've been learning... This actually can be done by building a DigiChat Bot that sits in the chat rooms and looks to see who's there, and then sends the info to the phpBB database to be displayed on the index page. phpBB could probably even "talk" to the Bot.

But this wouldn't just be a phpBB mod any more, would it?
Seven-

Post by Seven- »

tbartold wrote: Demo??? I have it running on a test install of 2.0.8a. But it should go live this coming week. I'll post a link for y'all, probably next weekend. But it's a real board, not just a demo (don't know that I can set that up). So... you'll have to register to use it.
[

Just make an account :
User : test
pass : test
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Doh!

Of course that makes sense. You should be able to get to the board with my working beta version of the MOD installed starting Saturday. I really should call this an ALPHA, and not a BETA since I have not completed what I think is the standard feature set for the mod.

Currently it requires that a user be logged in to the forums before they can access the chat applet. They are forced to use their username from the forums as a nickname in the chats (making it easier for moderators to track problem users down), and all moderators in the forums are required to be moderators in the chatrooms (and vice versa), but I'm making this optional in the next release. If you create a group called "Chat Masters" it will use that list of users instead as the priviledged few.

The buddy lists are also working, but that's it at this point. I'm working on adding the other chat information to the phpBB database, but still need information from the digichat people, which have been slow in responding.
Abax

Post by Abax »

tbartold wrote:
Cross_+_Flame wrote:2/ Any possibility of a "who is online" feature? (ie. a small # on the overall_header that shows how many people are chatting?)

I've been learning... This actually can be done by building a DigiChat Bot that sits in the chat rooms and looks to see who's there, and then sends the info to the phpBB database to be displayed on the index page...

Ohhhhh :D I never thought about that! Very Nice Idea Dude! :D
Scarah

Post by Scarah »

Hi! This is a really nice mod, I have it working great.

I noticed that at first it was letting guests into the chat as 'Anonymous' so I edited overall_header.tpl to only let the link be visible on the menu bar to logged in users.

The only other thing is, the selection of chat.js vs. chatmaster.js. On my installation the members with the admin user level get prompted for a password and presented with chatmaster. The members with moderator level do not get a password prompt, they get logged in to the normal client with their board username.

I could get around this by using a usergroup instead, which I'd prefer anyway to allow the option of not making all the board moderators chat moderators. Except, I think I'm being a bonehead when it comes to editing chat.php to use the usergroups instead.

At the top of chat.php it says to name the group Chat Moderators, is that right? And then, can you help me with exactly what should be changed in line 100-120?

Thanks a lot for your help, and the great mod! :)

Sarah
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

Scarah, thanks for trying it out and noticing the problems. I'll be posting a new version of the chat.php that actually takes care of both of the problems you mentioned.

1) It will only allow someone who is logged into the board to access the page, and thus the chats.

2) It will first check to see if there is a group called "Chat Masters", and if it exists, it will check if the user is a member of the group. If the group does not exist then it will present the chatmaster applet to the admins and moderators (that's me default set up).

So. To make it easy, just download the new version of the digichat_beta.zip and replace the old chat.php with the new one in the zip file. I've also included a upgrade_010_to_012.txt file with just the changes, but it's easiest just to rreplace the file.

Now all you have to do is create the usergroup "Chat Moderators" and add your moderators to it.

Let me know if you have any other problems with it.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”